- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Separation of Calcium-binding Protein Derived from Enzymatic Hydrolysates of Cheese Whey Protein
- Kim, S.B. (Dairy Science Major, Division of Animal Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Shin, H.S. (Nam Yang Research and Development Center) ;
- Lim, J.W. (Dairy Science Major, Division of Animal Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2003.09.01
- Accepted : 2004.02.17
- Published : 2004.05.01
This study was carried out to separate the calcium-binding protein derived from enzymatic hydrolysates of cheese whey protein. CWPs (cheese whey protein) heated for 10 min at
- Adamson, N. J. and E. C. Reynolds. 1996. Characterization of casein phosphopeptides prepared using alcalase: Determination of enzyme specificity. Enzyme Microb. Tech. 19:202.
Bertrand-Harb, C., A. Baday, M. Dalgalarrondo, J. M. Chobert and T. Haetle. 2002. Thermal modifications of structure and codenaturation of
$\alpha$-lactalbumin and $\beta$-lactoglobulin induce changes of solubility and susceptibility to proteases. Nahrung. 46:283.
- Bradford, M. M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive methods for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72:248.
- Chobert, J. M., C. Bertrand-Harb and M. G. Nicolas. 1988. Solubility and emulsifying properties of caseins and whey proteins modified enzymatically by trypsin. J. Agr. Food Chem. 36:883.
Jolles, P., S. Levy-Tolendano, A. M. Fiat, C. Soria, D. Gillessen, A. Thomaidis, F. W. Dunne and J. P. Chen. 1993. Analogy between fibrinogen and casein: effect of an undecapeptide isolated from
$\kappa$-casein on platelet function. Eur. J. Biochem. 158:379.
- Kilara, A. 1985. Enzyme-modified protein food ingredients. Biochem. 20:149.
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature (Lord). 227:680.
- Meisel, H. and E. Schlimme. 1996. Bioactive peptides derived from milk proteins: ingredients for functional food? Kieler Milchwissenschaftliche Forshungsbeirchte. 48:343.
- Monti, J. C. and R. Jost. 1978. Enzymatic solubilization of heatdenatured cheese whey protein. J. Dairy Sci. 61:1233.
- Mullally, M. M., H. Meisel and R. J. FitzGerald. 1997. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory activities of gastric and pancreatic proteinase digestes of whey protein. Int. Dairy J. 7:299.
- Oukhatar, N. A., S. Bouhallab, F. Bureau, P. Arhan, J. L. Maubois and D. L. Bougle. 2000. In vitro digestion of caseinophosphopeptide-iron complex. J. Dairy Res. 67:125.
- Renner, E. 1994. Dairy foods: dairy calcium, bone metabolism and prevention of osteoporosis. J. Dairy Sci. 77:3498.
- Takada, Y., N. Kobayashi, K. Keto, H. Matsuyama, M. Yahiro and S. Aoe. 1997. Effects of whey protein on calcium and bone metabolism in ovariectomized rats. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol (Tokyo). 43:199.
- Buttriss, J. 1990. The role of calcium in a balanced diet. J. Soc. Dairy Tech. 48:1.
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr and R. J. Randall. 1951. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:265.
- Rose, D., D. T. Davies and M. Yaguchi. 1969. Quantitative determination of the major components of casein mixture by column chromatography on DEAE-cellulose. J. Dairy Sci. 52:8.
Noyelle, K. and H. van Deal. 2002. Kinetics of conformational changes induced by the binding of various metal ions to bovine
$\alpha$-lactalbumin. J. Inorganic Biochem. 88:69.
- Fox, P. F. 1992. Advanced Dairy Chemistry-1: Proteins. Elservier Applied Science, London, New York.
- Jost, R. and J. C. Monti. 1977. Partial enzymatic hydrolysis of whey protein by trypsin. J. Dairy Sci. 60:1387.
- McIntosh, G. H., P. J. Royle, R. K. Le Leu, G. O. Regester, M. A. Johnson, R. L. Grinsted, R. S. Kenward and G. W. Snithers. 1998. Whey protein as functional food ingredient. Int. Dairy J. 8:425.
- Anon. 1998. Dairy components increasingly find uses in functional foods. The cheese reporter, April. 10:11.
- FitzGerald, R. J. and H. Meisel. 1999. Lactokinins: whey proteinderived ACE inhibitory peptides. Nahrung. 43:165.
- Friedlander, E. J. and A. W. Norman. 1980. Purification of chick intestinal calcium-binding protein. Methods in Enzymology 67:504.
- Ragno, V., P. G. Giampietro, G. Bruno and L. Businco. 1993. Allergenicity of milk protein hydrolysate formulae in children with cow milk allergy. Eur. J. Pediatr. 152:760. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01953996
- Adler-Nissen, J. 1986. Enzymic hydrolysis of food proteins. Elservier Applied Science Publishers, New York, USA.
- Drewnowski, A. 1992. Food preference and the opioid peptide system. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 3:97.
- Reynolds, E. C. 1997. Anticariogenic casein phosphopeptides. Ministerial Review of Dental Services in Victoria, Australia.
- Gallaher, D. and M. Schmidl. 1998. Bioactive and nutraceutical entities found in whey. Paper presented at Institute of Food Technologists, Annual Meeting, June Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Kosikowski, F. 1982. Cheese and fermented milk foods. 2nd edn. Edward Brothers Inc., Michigan, USA. pp. 228-260.
Veprintsev, D. B., M. Narayan, S. E. Permyakov, V. N. Uversky, C. L. Brooks, A. M. Cherskaya, E. A. Permyakov and L. J. Berliner. 1999. Fine tuning the N-terminus of a calcium binding protein:
$\alpha$-lactalbumin. Proteins 37:65.
- De la Fuente, M. A., Y. Hemar, M. Tamehara, P. A. Munro and H. Singh. 2002. Process-induced changes in whey proteins during the manufacture of whey protein concentrates. Int. Dairy J. 12:361.
Schmidt, D. G. and B. W. van Markwijk. 1993. Enzymatic hydrolysis of whey proteins. Influence of heat treatment of
$\alpha$-LA and $\beta$-LG on their proteolysis by pepsin and papain. Neth. Milk Dairy J. 47:15.
Guo, M. R., P. F. Fox and A. Flynn. 1995. Susceptibility of
$\beta$-Lactoglobulin and Sodium Caseinate to Proteolysis by Pepsin and Trypsin. J. Dairy Sci. 78:2336.
- Marshall, W. E. 1994. In Functional Foods, Designer Foods, Pharmafoods, Nutraceuticals. (Ed. I. Goldberg). Chapmann and Hall, New York. pp. 242-260.
Otte, J., M. Zakora, K. B. Qvist, C. E. Olsen and V. Barkholt. 1997. Hydrolysis of bovine
$\beta$-lactoglobulin by various protease and identification of selected peptides. Int. Dairy J. 7:835.
- Miller, D. D. 1989. Calcium in the diet, food sources, recommanded intakes and nutritional bioavailability. Adv. Food Nutr. Res. 33:103.
- Novel Peptide with a Specific Calcium-Binding Capacity from Whey Protein Hydrolysate and the Possible Chelating Mode vol.62, pp.42, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1021/jf502412f
- Antioxidant Activity and Functional Properties of Polymerized Whey Products by Glycation Process vol.2015, pp.1687-9430, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/154262
- Purification and characterisation of a glutamic acid-containing peptide with calcium-binding capacity from whey protein hydrolysate vol.82, pp.01, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029914000715
- Production of low antigenic cheese whey protein hydrolysates using mixed proteolytic enzymes vol.87, pp.11, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2963