- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Different Fiber and Starch Types on Nutrient Balance and Energy Metabolism in Growing Pigs
- Wang, J.F. (College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhu, Y.H. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Li, D.F. (College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University) ;
- Jorgensen, H. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Jensen, B.B. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences)
- Received : 2003.03.14
- Accepted : 2003.10.29
- Published : 2004.02.01
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Breves, G. and K. Stück. 1995. Short-chain fatty acids. In: Physiological and Clinical Aspects of Short-Chain Fatty Acids. (Ed. J. H. Cummings, J. L. Rombeau and T. Sakata). Cambridge University Press, UK. pp. 73-85.
- Cummings, J. H. and G. T. Marcfarlane. 1991. The control and consequences of bacterial fermentation in the human colon. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 70:943-959.
- Fenton, T. W. and M. Fenton. 1979. An amproved procedure for determination of chromic oxide in feed and feces. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:631-634.
- Graham, H., K. Hesselman and P. Åman. 1986. The influence of wheat bran and sugar beet pulp on the digestibility of dietary components in a cereal-based pig diet. J. Nutr. 116:242-251.
- Jensen, B. B. 1988. Effect of diet composition and virginiamycin on microbial activity in the digestive tract of pigs. In: Digestive Physiology in the Pig. (Ed. L. Buraczewska, S. Buraczewski, B. Pastusrewska and T. Zebrowska). Jablonna: Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland. pp. 392-400.
- Jensen, B. B. and H. Jorgensen. 1994. Effect of dietary fiber on microbial activity and microbial gas production in various regions of the gastrointestinal tract of pigs. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 60:1897-1904.
- Just, A. 1982. The influence of crude fiber from cereals on the net energy value of diets for growth in pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 9:569-580.
- Latymer, E. A. and A. G. Low. 1984. Tissue incorporation and excretion of 14C in pigs after injection of [U-14C] sodium acetate into the caecum. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 43:12A.
- Macfarlane, G. T. and S. Macfarlane. 1993. Factors affecting fermentation reactions in the large bowel. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 52:367-373.
- Noblet, J., J. Le Dividich and T. Bikawa. 1985. Interaction between energy level in the diet and environmental temperature on the utilization of energy in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 61:452-459.
SAS. 1990. SAS/START
$\circledR$User's guide (Release 6.03). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Just, A., H. Jorgensen and J. A. Fernández. 1983. Maintenance requirement and the net energy value of different diets for growth in pigs. Livest. Proc. Sci. 10:487-506.
- Wang, J. F., Y. H. Zhu, D. F. Li, M. Wang and B. B. Jensen. 2003b. Effect of type and level of dietary fiber and starch on ileal and faecal microbial activity and short-chain fatty acid concentrations in growing pigs. Anim. Sci. (In press)
- Friend, D. W., J. W. G. Nicholson and H. M. Cunningham. 1964. Volatile fatty acid and lactic acid content of pig blood. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 44:303-308.
- Zhu, Y. H., T. Lundh and J. F. Wang. 2003. Activities of enzymes involved in fatty acid metabolism in the colon epithelium of piglets fed with different fiber contents diets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1524-1528.
- Bach Knudsen, K. E. 1997. Carbohydrate and lignin contents of plant material used in animal feeding. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 67:319-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00009-6
- Brouwer, E. 1965. Reports of sub-committee on constants and factors. In: 3rd Symposium on Energy Metabolism. (Ed. K. L. Blaxter). EAAP Publication No.11, London: Academic Press. pp. 441-443.
- Moore, W. E. C., L. V. H. Moore, E. P. Cato, T. D. Wilkins and E. T. Kornegay. 1987. Effect of high-fiber and high-oil diets on the fecal flora of swine. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 53:1638-1644.
- Tomlin, J. and N. W. Read. 1990. The effect of resistant starch on colon function in humans. Br. J. Nutr. 64:589-595.
Bach Knudsen, K. E., B. B. Jensen and I. Hansen. 1993. Digestion of polysaccharides and other major components in the small and large intestine of pigs fed on diets consisting of oat fractions rich in
$\beta$-D-glucan. Br. J. Nutr. 70:537-556.
- Christensen, K., A. Chwalibog, S. Henckel and G. Thorbek. 1988. Heat production in growing pigs calculated according to the RQ and CN methods. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 91A:463-468.
- Wolever, T. M. S., Z. Cohen, L. U. Thomson, M. J. Thorne, M. J. A. Jenkins, E. J. Prokipchuck and D. J. A. Jensins. 1986. Ileal loss of available carbohydrate in man: comparison of breath hydrogen method with direct measurement using human ileostomy model. Am. J. Gastroent. 81:115-122.
- Bach Knudsen, K. E. 2001. The nutritional significance of 'dietary fiber' analysis. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 90:3-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00193-6
- Pond, W. G. 1987. Thoughts on fiber utilization in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 65:497-499. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.652497x
- Stevens, C. E., R. A. Argenzio and E. T. Clemens. 1980. Microbial digestion: rumen versus large intestine. In: Digestive Physiology and Metabolism in Ruminants. (Ed. Y. Ruckebush and P. Thivend). Lancaster: MTP Press. pp. 743-761.
- Wang, J. F., B. B. Jensen, H. Jørgensen, D. F. Li and J. E. Lindberg. 2002. Ileal and total tract digestibility, and protein and fat balance in pigs fed rice with addition of potato starch, sugar beet pulp or wheat bran. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 102:125-136.
- Wang, J. F., D. F. Li, B. B. Jensen, K. Jakobsen, J. J. Xing, L. M. Gong and Y. H. Zhu. 2003a. Effect of type and level of fiber on gastric microbial activity and short-chain fatty acid concentrations in gestating sows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 104:95-110.
- Bugaut, M. 1987. Occurrence, absorption and metabolism of short-chain fatty acids in the digestive tract of mammals. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 86B:437-472.
- Fleming, S. E., D. Marthinsen and H. Kuhnlein. 1983. Colonic function and fermentation in men consuming high fiber diets. J. Nutr. 113:2535-2544.
- Bach Knudsen, K. E. and I. Hansen. 1991. Gastrointestinal implications in pigs of wheat and oat fractions. 1. Digestibility and bulking properties of polysaccharides and other major constituents. Br. J. Nutr. 65:217-232.
- Kritchevsky, D. 1988. Dietary fiber. Ann. Rev. Nutr. 8:301-328.
- Phuc, B. H. N. and J. E. Lindberg. 2000. Ileal and total tract digestibility in growing pigs given cassava root meal diets with inclusion of cassava leaves, leucaena leaves and groundnut foliage. Anim. Sci. 71:301-308.
- Stephen, A. M. and J. H. Cummings. 1980. The microbial contribution to human fecal mass. J. Med. Microbiol. 13:45-56.
- Stoldt, W. 1952. Vorschlag zur Vereinheitlichung der Fettbestimmung in Lebensmitteln. Fette, Seifen, Anstrichmittel 54:206-207.
- Dierick, N. A., I. J. Vervaeke, D. I. Demeyer and J. A. Decuypere. 1989. Approach to the energetic importance of fibre digestion in pigs. I. Importance of fermentation in the overall energy supply. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 23:141-167.
- Bergman, E. N. 1990. Energy contributions of volatile fatty acids from the gastrointestinal tract in various species. Physiol. Rev. 70:567-590.
- Jensen, B. B. 1990. Microbial activity in various segments of the gastrointestinal tract of rat, pig and man. In: The Rat as a Model for Man and Pig Nutritional and Physiological Studies. (Ed. H. Jungvid, L. P. Forshell and B. O. Eggum). Gramineer AB, Sweden. pp. 9-19.
- Kennelly, J. J., F. X. Aherne and W. C. Sauer. 1981. Volatile fatty acid production in the hindgut of swine. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 61:349-361.
- Hoffmann, L. and M. Klein. 1980. The dependence of urine energy on the carbon and nitrogen content of the urine of cattle, sheep, pigs and rats. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 30:743-750.
- Kass, M. L., P. J. Van Soest, W. G. Pond, B. Lewis and R. E. McDowell. 1980. Utilization of dietary fiber from alfalfa by growing swine. 1. Apparent digestibility of diet components in specific segments of the gastrointestinal tract. J. Anim. Sci. 50:175-191.
- Lindberg, J. E. and Z. Cortova. 1995. The effect of increasing inclusion of lucerne leaf meal in a barley-based diet on the partition of digestion and on nutrient utilization in pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 56:11-22.
- Englyst, H. N., S. M. Kingman, G. J. Hudson and J. H. Cummings. 1996. Measurement of resistant starch in vitro and in vivo. Br. J. Nutr. 75:749-755.
- Jorgensen, H., X. Q. Zhao and B. O. Eggum. 1996. The influence of dietary fiber and envrionmental temperature on the development of the gastrointestinal tract, digestibility, degree of fermentation in the hindgut and energy metabolism in pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 75:365-378.
- Englyst, H. N., S. M. Kingman and J. H. Cummings. 1992. Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. Euro. J. Clin. Nutr. 46:S33-S50.
- Performance of growing pigs fed diets based on by-products of maize and wheat processing vol.45, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0237-7
- In vitro fermentation of various fiber and starch sources by pig fecal inocula1 vol.82, pp.9, 2004, https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8292615x
- Quantifying Resistant Starch Using Novel, In Vivo Methodology and the Energetic Utilization of Fermented Starch in Pigs vol.142, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.111.147496