- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Claw Abrasives in Cages on Claw Condition, Feather Cover and Mortality of Laying Hens
- Glatz, P.C. (Pig and Poultry Production Institute South Australian Research and Development Institute, Roseworthy South Australia)
- Received : 2002.05.14
- Accepted : 2004.05.05
- Published : 2004.10.01
A trial was conducted to determine the effect of abrasive strips and abrasive paint in layer cages on claw length and claw sharpness, foot condition, feather cover and mortality of hens. During the preparation of the cages for the experiment it was simpler and took less time to apply the pre-prepared paint with a spatula to the egg guard compared to sticking the abrasive strips onto the egg guard. Fitting the strips took longer because it had to be cut from a 25 mm roll, cut into the appropriate lengths, the tape backing removed and then stuck onto the egg guard section. Abrasive paint was more effective as a claw shortener than abrasive strips. The birds using the abrasive paint had the shortest (p<0.05) claw length and lowest (p<0.05) claw sharpness. One of the original reasons for reducing claw length with claw shorteners was to reduce mortality by minimising skin skin abrasions caused by the claws. Surprisingly hen mortality from prolapse and cannibalism was higher (p<0.05) in cages fitted with abrasives. There are no other reports in the literature showing an increase in prolapse and cannibalism from hens using abrasives.
Laying Hens;Claw Abrasives;Mortality
- Glatz, P. C. 2000. Beak trimming methods-Review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13 (11):1619-1737.
- Glatz, P. C. and C. A. Lunam. 1996. Behavioural and anatomical aspects of poor feather cover in caged hens. In: Proceedings of Australian Poultry Science Symposium, Vol. 8:157-160.
- Ruszler, P. L. and J. T. Kiker. 1975. Toe clipping cage reared pullets and its effect on growth and egg production. Poult. Sci. 54:1346.
- Tauson, R. 1986. Avoiding excessive growth of claws in caged laying hens. Acta. Agric. Scand. 36:95-106.
- Tauson, R., T. Ambrosen and K. Elwinger, 1984. Evaluation of procedures for scoring the integument of laying hens. Independent scoring of plumage condition. Acta. Agric. Scand. 34:400-408.
- Vanskike, K. P. and A. W. Adams. 1983. Effects of declawing and cage shape on productivity, feathering, and fearfulness of egg type chickens. Poult. Sci. 62:708-711.
- Fickenwirth, A., D. W. Foeisch and C. Dolf. 1985. Sand shortens the claws and beak of hens - prevents injuries. In: Proceedings of the Second European Poultry Welfare Symposium, Celle, pp. 288-290.
- Ruszler, P. L. and J. H. Quisenberry. 1979. The effect of declawing two flock sizes of 23 week old pullets on hysteria and certain production traits. Poult. Sci. 58:778-784. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0580778
- Stewart, G. D. and J. G. Dingle. 1997. A preliminary paper on the use of abrasive tape to reduce claw length of layers in cages. In: Proceedings of the Queensland Poultry Science Symposium, Vol. 6, Paper 22, pp. 1-5.
- Hill, A. T. 1975. Foot sore incidence among de-clawed Leghorntype layers, as affected by strain, density and birds per cage. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 55:165-166. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas75-017
- Compton, M. M., H. P. Van Ki-ey, P. L. Ruszler and F. C. Gwazdauskas. 1981. The effects of claw removal on growth rate, gonadal steroids, and stress response in cage reared pullets. Poult. Sci. 60:2120-2126.
- Goodling, A. C., D. G. Satterlee, G. C. Cerniglia and L. A. Jacobs-Perry. 1984. Influence of toe clipping and stocking density on laying hen performance. Poult. Sci. 63:1722-1731.
- Rauch, H. W. 1992. Self shortening of claw length by caged laying hens. Leipzig. 10:11-12.
- Statistical Analyses Systems Institute Inc. 1988. SAS Procedures Guide, Release 6.03 edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Tauson, R. 1984. Plumage condition in SCWL laying hens kept in conventional cages of different designs. Acta. Agric. Scand. 34:221-220.
- Tauson, R. 1985. Mortality in laying hens caused by differences in cage design. Acta. Agric. Scand. 35:165-174.
- Tauson, R. 1996. European alternative housing systems for layershealth, production and environmental considerations. In: Proceedings Australian Poultry Science Symposium 8:65-77.
- Effects of different claw-shortening devices on claw condition, fear, stress, and feather coverage of layer breeders pp.1525-3171, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pez083