- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Zinc on Lipogenesis of Bovine Intramuscular Adipocytes
- Oh, Young Sook (Institute of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Choi, Chang Bon (Department of Animal Science, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2004.01.26
- Accepted : 2004.06.16
- Published : 2004.10.01
Zinc (Zn) is a micromineral and functions as a cofactor of many enzymes and its deficiency induces retardation of growth and dysfunction of the immune system in animals. This study was conducted to determine lipogenic activity of Zn in bovine intramuscular adipocytes. Preadipocytes were isolated from intramuscular fat depots of 26 month old Korean (Hanwoo) steers and cultured in media containing Zn. At confluence, the cells were treated with insulin, dexamethasone, and 1-methyl-3-isobutyl-xanthine to induce differentiation (accumulation of lipid droplets in cells). The sources of Zn were zinc chloride (
Supported by : Yeungnam University
- Tang, X. and N. F. Shay. 2001. Zinc has an insulin-like effect on glucose transport mediated by phosphoinositol-3-kinase and Akt in 3T3-L1 fibroblasts and adipocytes. J. Nutr. 13:1414-1420.
- Tontonoz, P., E. Hu and B. M. Spiegelman. 1994. Stimulation of adipogenesis in fibroblasts by PPAR gamma 2, a lipidactivated transcription factor. 79:1147-1156.
Hu, E., P. Tontonoz and B. M. Spiegelman. 1995. Transdifferentiation of myoblasts by the adipogenic transcription factor PPAR
$\gamma$and C/EBP $\alpha$. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 21:950-958.
Tontonoz, P., E. Hu, J. Devine, E. G. Beale and B. M. Spiegelman. 1995. PPAR-
$\gamma$-2 regulates adoipose expression of the phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene. Mol. Cell. Biol. 15:351-357.
- May, J. M. and C. S. Contoreggi. 1982. The mechanism of the insulin-like effects of ionic zinc. J. Biol. Chem. 257:4362-4368.
- Nisoli, E., E. Clementi, C. Tonello, C. Sciorati, L. Briscini and M. O. Carruba. 1998. Effects of nitric oxide on proliferation and differentiation of rat brown adipocytes in primary cultures. Br. J. Pharmacol. 125:888-894. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0702131
- Conrad, K. P., G. M. Joffe, H. Kruszyna, R. Kruszyna, L. G.Rochelle, R. P. Smith, J. E. Chavez and M. D. Mosher. 1993. Identification of increased nitric oxide biosynthesis during pregnancy in rats. FASEB J. 7(6):566-571.
- Hill, G. M., G. L. Cromwell, T. D. Crenshaw, C. R. Dove, R. C. Ewan, D. A. Knabe, A. J. Lewis, G. W. Libal, D. C. Mahman, G. C. Shuron and T. L. Veum. 2000. Growth promotion effects and plasma changes from feeding high dietry concentrations of zinc and copper to weaning pigs (regional study). J. Anim. Sci. 78:1010-1016.
- Hino, N., S. Tanaka, T. Matsui and H. Yano. 2001. Zinc enhances bovine preadipocyte differentiation through inhibition of nitric oxide production. Reproductive Biotechnology 452:385-389.
Sundvold, H., A. Brzozowska and S. Lien. 1997. Characterisation of bovine peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor
$\gamma$1 and $\gamma$2: genetic mapping and differential expression of the two isoforms. Biochem. Biophy. Res. Commun. 239:857-861.
- Begin-Heick, N., M. Dalpe-Scott, J. Rowe and H. M. Heick. 1985. Zinc supplementation attenuates insulin secretory activity in pancreatic islets of the ob/ob mouse. Diatetes. 34:179-184.
- Spears, J. W. 1989. Zinc methionine for ruminants: relative bioavailability of zinc in lambs and growth and performance of growing heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 67:835-843.
- Brethour, J. R. 1984. Zinc methionine in steer finishing rations. Report of Progress No. 452. Hays Branch, Kansas State University. p. 11.
- Ponte, P., S. Y. Ng, J. Engle, P. Gunning and L. Kedes. 1984. Evolutionary Conservation in the Untranslated Regions ofo Action mRNAs:DNA Sequence of a Human Beta-action cDNA.
- Vierboom, M., T. E. Engle and C. V. Kimberling. 2003. Effects of gestational staus on apparent absorption and retention of copper and zinc in mature angus cows and suffolk ewes. Asian-Aust. J. Amin. Sci. 16(4):515-518.
- Chen, M. D., S. J. Liou, P. Y. Lin, V. C. Yang, P. S. Alexander and W. H. Lin. 1998. Effects of zinc supplementation on the plasma glucose level and insulin activity in genetically obese (ob/ob) mice. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 61:303-311.
- Shisheva, A., D. Gegel and Y. Shechter. 1992. Insulin-like effects of zinc ion in vitro and in vivo. Preferential effects on desensitized adipocytes and induction of normoglycemia in streptozocin-induced rats. Diabetes. 41:982-988.
- Nockels, C. F., J. DeBonis and J. Torrent. 1993. Stress induction ffects copper and zinc balance in calves fed organic and inorganic copper and zinc sources. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2539-2545.
- Malcolm-Callis, K. J., G. C. Duff, S. A. Gunter, E. B. Kegley and D. A. Vermeire. 2000. Effects of supplemental zinc concentration and source on performance, carcass characteristics, and serum values in finishing beef steers. 78:2801-2808.
- Chen, M., P. Lin, V. Cheng and W. Lin. 1996. Zinc supplementation aggravates body fat accumulation in genetically obese mice and dietary-obese mice. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 52:125-132.
- Greene, L. W., D. K. Lunt, F. M. Byers, N. K. Chirase, C. E. Richmond, R. E. Kuntson and G. T. Schelling. 1988. Performance and carcass quality of steers supplemented with zinc oxide or zinc methionine. J. Anim. Sci. 66:1818-1823.
- A Molecular Mechanism for Modulating Plasma Zn Speciation by Fatty Acids vol.134, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1021/ja210496n
- Effects of zilpaterol hydrochloride and zinc methionine on growth performance and carcass characteristics of beef bulls vol.95, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas-2014-175