- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Cloning and Characterization of Bovine Titin-cap (TCAP) Gene
- Yu, S.L. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Chungnam National University) ;
- Chung, H.J. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Chungnam National University) ;
- Jung, K.C. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Chungnam National University) ;
- Sang, B.C. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Chungnam National University) ;
- Yoon, D.H. (Division of Animal Genomics & Bioinformatics, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, S.H. (Division of Animal Genomics & Bioinformatics, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Kata, S.R. (Department of Veterinary Pathology, Texas A&M University, College Station) ;
- Womack, J.E. (Department of Veterinary Pathology, Texas A&M University, College Station) ;
- Lee, J.H. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2004.02.11
- Accepted : 2004.05.27
- Published : 2004.10.01
Titin-cap (TCAP), one of the abundant transcripts in skeletal muscles, was nvestigated in this study in cattle because of its role in regulating the proliferation and differentiation of myoblasts by interacting with the myostatin gene. From the 5, and 3, RACE experiments, full-length TCAP coding sequence was identified, comprising 166 amino acids. The amino acid comparison showed high sequence similarities with previously identified human (95.8%) and mouse (95.2%) TCAP genes. The TCAP expression, addressed by northern blot, is limited in muscle tissues as indicated by Valle et al. (1997). The radiation hybrid analysis localized the gene on BTA19, where the comparative human and porcine counterparts are on HSA17 and SSC12. A few muscle-related genetic disorders were mapped on HSA17 and some growth-related QTLs were identified on SSC12. The bovine TCAP gene found in this study opens up new possibilities for the investigation of muscle-related genetic diseases as well as meat yield traits in cattle.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Band, M. R., J. H. Larson, M. Rebeiz, C. A. Green, D. W. Heyen, J. Donovan, R. Windish, C. Steining, P. Mahyuddin, J. E. Womack and H. A. Lewin. 2000. An ordered comparative map of the cattle and human genomes. Genome Res. 10:1359-1368.
- Band, M. R., C. Olmstead, R. E. Everts, Z. L. Liu and H. A. Lewin. 2002. A 3800 gene microarray for cattle functional genomics: comparison of gene expression in spleen, placenta, and brain.Anim. Biotechnol. 13:163-172.
- Bidanel, J. P. and M. Rothschild. 2002. Current status of quantitative trait locus mapping in pigs. Pig News and information 23(2):39N-53N.
- Boehnke, M. 1992. Multipoint analysis for radiation hybrid mapping. Ann. Med. 24:383-386.
- Fahrenkrug, S. C., T. P. Smith, B. A. Freking, J. Cho, J. White, J. Vallet, T. Wise, G. Rohrer, G. Pertea, R. Sultana, J. Quackenbush and J. W. Keele. 2002. Porcine gene discovery by normalized cDNA-library sequencing and EST cluster assembly. Mamm. Genome. 13:475-478.
- Furukawa, T., Y. Ono, H. Tsuchiya, Y. Katayama, M. L. Bang, D. Labeit, S. Labeit, N. Inagaki and C. C. Gregorio. 2001. Specific interaction of the potassium channel beta-subunit minK with the sarcomeric protein T-cap suggests a T-tubulemyofibril tubulemyofibril linking system. J. Mol. Biol. 313(4):775-784.
- Gregorio, C. C., K. Trombitas, T. Centner, B. Kolmerer, G. Stier, K. Kunke, K. Suzuki, F. Obermayr, B. Herrmann, H. Granzier, H. Sorimachi and S. Labeit. 1998. The NH2 terminus of titin spans the Z-disc: its interaction with a novel 19 kD ligand (Tcap) is required for sarcomeric integrity. J. Cell. Biol. 143(4):1013-1027.
- Grobet, L., L. J. Martin, D. Poncelet, D. Pirottin, B. Brouwers, J. Riquet, A. Schoeberlein, S. Dunner, F. Menissier, J. Massabanda, R. Fries, R. Hanset and M. Georges. 1997. A deletion in the bovine myostatin gene causes the doublemuscled phenotype in cattle. Nat. Genet. 17(1):71-74.
- Jiang, Z., C. Priat and F. Galibert. 1998. Traced orthologous amplified sequence tags (TOASTs) and mammalian comparative maps. Mamm. Genome. 9:577-587.
- Kambadur, R., M. Sharma, T. P. Smith and J. J. Bass. 1997. Mutations in myostatin (GDF8) in double-muscled Belgian Blue and Piedmontese cattle. Genome. Res. 7(9):910-916.
- Lee, J. H., C. Moran and C. S. Park. 2003. Current status of comparative mapping in livestock. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(10):1411-1420.
- Levitt, R. C., A. Olckers, S. Meyers, J. E. Fletcher, H. Rosenberg, H. Isaacs and D. A. Meyers. 1992. Evidence for the localization of a malignant hyperthermia susceptibility locus (MHS2) to human chromosome 17q. Genomics 14(3):562-566.
- Lyons, L. A., T. F. Laughlin, N. G. Copeland, N. A. Jenkins, J. E. Womack and S. J. O'Brien. 1997. Comparative anchor tagged sequences (CATS) for ntegrative mapping of mammalian genomes. Nat. Genet. 15:47-56.
- Mason, P., S. Bayol and P. T. Loughna. 1999. The novel sarcomeric protein telethonin exhibits developmental and functional regulation. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 257(3):699-703.
- Mayans, O., P. F. van der Ven, M. Wilm, A. Mues, P. Young, D. O. Furst, M. Wilmanns and M. Gautel. 1998. Structural basis for activation of the titin kinase domain during myofibrillogenesis. Nature. 395(6705):863-869.
- McNally, E. M., M. Yoshida, Y. Mizuno, E. Ozawa and L. M. Kunkel. 1994. Human adhalin is alternatively spliced and the gene is located on chromosome 17q21. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 91:9690-9694.
- McPherron, A. C. and S. J. Lee. 1997. Double muscling in cattle due to mutations in the myostatin gene. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 94(23):12457-12461.
- Nicholas, G., M. Thomas, B. Langley, W. Somers, K. Patel, C. F. Kemp, M. Sharma and R. Kambadur. 2002. Titin-cap associates with, and regulates secretion of, Myostatin. J. Cell. Physiol. 193(1):120-131.
- Pascual, I., A. K. Dhar, Y. Fan, M. R. Paradis, M. V. Arruga and A. Alcivar-Warren. 2002. Isolation of expressed sequence tags from a thoroughbred horse (Equus caballus) 5'-RACE cDNA library. Anim. Genet. 33:231-232.
- Rink, A., E. M. Santschi and C. W. Beattie. 2002. Normalized cDNA libraries from a porcine model of orthopedic implantassociated infection. Mamm. Genome. 13:198-205.
- Slonin, D., L. Kruglyak, L. Stein and E. Lander. 1997. Building human genome maps with radiation hybrids. J. Comput. Biol. 4:487-504.
- Smith, E. J., L. Shi and G. Smith. 2002. Expressed sequence tags for the hicken genome from a normalized 10-day-old white leghorn whole-embryo cDNA library. 3. DNA sequence analysis of genetic variation in commercial chicken populations. Genome. 45:261-267. https://doi.org/10.1139/g01-155
- Smith, T. P., W. M. Grosse, B. A. Freking, A. J. Roberts, R. T. Stone, E. Casas, J. E. Wray, J. White, J. Cho, S. C. Fahrenkrug, G. L. Bennett, M. P. Heaton, W. W. Laegreid, G. A. Rohrer, C. G. Chitko-McKown, G. Pertea, I. Holt, S. Karamycheva, F. Liang, J. Quackenbush and J. W. Keele. 2001. Sequence evaluation of four pooled-tissue normalized bovine cDNA libraries and construction of a gene index for cattle. Genome Res. 11:626-630.
- Sonstegard, T., A. V. Capuco, J. White, C. P. Van Tassell, E. E. Connor, J. Cho, R. Sultana, L. Shade, J. E. Wray, K. D. Wells and J. Quackenbush. 2002. Analysis of bovine mammary gland EST and functional annotation of the Bos taurus gene index. Mamm. Genome 13:373-379.
- Takasuga, A., S. Hirotsune, R. Itoh, A. Jitohzono, H. Suzuki, H. Aso and Y. Sugimoto. 2001. Establishment of a high throughput EST sequencing system using poly (A) tailremoved cDNA libraries and determination of 36,000 bovine ESTs. Nucleic Acids Res. 29:E108.
- Valle, G., G. Faulkner, A. De Antoni, B. Pacchioni, A. Pallavicini, D. Pandolfo, N. Tiso, S. Toppo, S. Trevisan and G. Lanfranchi. 1997. Telethonin, a novel sarcomeric protein of heart and skeletal muscle. FEBS Lett. 415(2):163-168.
- Venta, P. J., J. A. Brouillette, V. Yuzbasiyan-Gurkan and G. J. Brewer. 1996. Gene-specific universal mammalian sequencetagged sites: application to the canine genome. Biochem. Genet. 34:321-341.
- Womack, J. E., J. S. Johnson, E. K. Owens, C. E. 3rd. Rexroad, J Schlapfer and Y. P. Yang. 1997. A whole-genome radiation hybrid panel for bovine gene mapping. Mamm. Genome 8(11):854-856.