- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Expression of Porcine Adiponectin and Stearoyl Coenzyme a Desaturase Genes in Differentiating Adipocytes
- Wang, P.H. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Ko, Y.H. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Liu, B.H. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Peng, H.M. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Lee, M.Y. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Chen, C.Y. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Li, Y.C. (Department of Bioengineering, University of California) ;
- Ding, S.T. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University)
- Received : 2003.05.22
- Accepted : 2004.01.06
- Published : 2004.05.01
The gene expression of porcine adiponectin and stearoyl coenzyme A desaturase (SCD) was investigated in this study. The partial gene sequences for adiponectin and SCD were amplified by RT-PCR from subcutaneous adipose tissue and cloned by TA cloning techniques. Sequences of these genes were determined and found to be highly homologous to that of other species, suggesting similar function of these genes as in other species. The transcripts of these adipocyte-related genes in pig tissues were measured by Northern analysis. The transcripts for adiponectin and SCD were highly expressed in porcine subcutaneous adipose tissue; the transcripts for SCD were also barely detected in the liver, but the greatest concentrations were in the adipose tissue. In porcine stromalvascular cells (S/V cells) cultured in vitro, transcripts for adiponectin and SCD increased gradually during adipocyte differentiation. The level of adipocyte adiponectin mRNA was associated with late adipocyte differentiation, indicating the gene may not be involved in adipocyte differentiation but has great importance in porcine adipocyte functions. The SCD transcripts were not detectable until 2 d after induction of adipocyte differentiation. It was highly expressed in differentiating porcine adipocytes (2 to 10 d after the induction of adipocyte differentiation), indicating a significant role of SCD in adipocytes.
Supported by : National Science Council and Council of Agriculture
- Bogan, J. S. and H. F. Lodish. 1999. Two compartments for insulin-stimulated exocytosis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes defined by endogenous ACRP30 and GLUT4. J. Cell Biol. 146:609-620.
- Ding, S. T., R. L. McNeel and H. J. Mersmann. 1999. Expression of porcine adipocyte transcripts: tissue distribution and differentiation in vitro and in vivo. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 123:307-318.
- Havel, P. J. 2002. Control of energy homeostasis and insulin action by adipocyte hormones: leptin, acylation stimulating protein, and adiponectin. Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 13:51-59. https://doi.org/10.1097/00041433-200202000-00008
- Kappes, A. and G. Loffler. 2000. Influences of ionomycin, dibutyryl-cycloAMP and tumour necrosis factor-alpha on intracellular amount and secretion of apM1 in differentiating primary human preadipocytes. Horm. Metab. Res. 32:548-554.
- Kim, K. H. and Y. S. Moon. 2003. Molecular cloning of adipose tissue-specific genes by cDNA microarray. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1837-1841.
- Kim, H. H., M. B. Seol, D. H. Jeon, K. H. Kim, Y. J. Choi and M. G. Baik. 2001. Cloning and expression of lactate dehydrogenase H chain gene in adipose tissue of Korean Cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1670-1674.
- Ntambi, J. M., S. A. Buhrow, K. H. Kaestner, R. J. Christy, E. Sibley, T. J. Jr. Kelly and M. D. Lane. 1988. Differentiationinduced gene expression in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Characterization of a differentially expressed gene encoding stearoyl-CoA desaturase. J. Biol. Chem. 263:17291-17300.
- Suryawan, A. and C. Y. Hu. 1993. Effect of serum on differentiation of porcine adipose stromal-vascular cells in primary culture. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Comp. Physiol. 105:485-492.
- Kim, Y. C. and J. M. Ntambi. 1999. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase genes: role in cellular metabolism. Biochem. Ciophys. Res. Comm. 266:1-4.
- Smith, S. B., H. J. Mersmann, E. O. Smith and K. G. Britain. 1999. Stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase gene expression during growth in adipose tissue from obese and crossbred pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1710-1716.
- Poisson, J. P. and M. Narce. 2001. Lipid metabolism: peroxisomeproliferator- activated receptors and the regulation of genes of lipid metabolism. Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 12:583-585.
- Fruebis, J., T. S. Tsao, S. Javorschi, D. Ebbets-Reed, M. R. Erickson, F. T. Yen, B. E. Bihain and H. F. Lodish. 2001. Proteolytic cleavage product of 30 kDa adipocyte complement-related protein increases fatty acid oxidation in muscle and causes weight loss in mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 98:2005-2010.
- Rosen, E. D., C. J. Walkey, P. Puigserver and B. M. Spiegelman. 2000. Transcriptional regulation of adipogenesis. Genes Dev. 14:1293-1307.
- Fasshauer, M., J. Klein, S. Neumann, M. Eszlinger and R. Paschke. 2002. Hormonal regulation of adiponectin gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 290:1084-1089.
- Chomczynski, P. and N. Sacchi. 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate- phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156-159.
- Ding, S. T., R. L. MeNeel and H. J. Mersmann. 2002. Modification of Porcine Preadipocyte Differentiation by Selected Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids. In vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Anim. 38:352-357.
- Ntambi, J. M., M. Miyazaki, J. P. Stoehr, H. Lan, C. M. Kendziorski, B. S. Yandell, Y. Song, P. Cohen, J. M. Friedman and A. D. Attie. 2002. Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 function protects mice against adiposity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 99:11482-11486.
- Gondret, F., P. Ferre and I. Dugail. 2001. ADD-1/SREBP-1 is a major determinant of tissue differential lipogenic capacity in mammalian and avian species. J. Lipid Res. 42:106-113.
- Combs, T. P., A. H. Berg, S. Obici, P. E. Scherer and L. Rossetti. 2001. Endogenous glucose production is inhibited by the adipose-derived protein ACRP30. J. Clin. Invest. 108:1875-1881.
- Scherer, P. E., S. Willaims, M. Fogliano, G. Baldini and H. F. Lodish. 1995. A novel serum protein similar to C1q, produced exclusively in adipocytes. J. Biol. Chem. 270:26746-26749.
- Yamauchi, T., J. Kamon, H. Waki, Y. Terauchi, N. Kubota, K. Hara, Y. Mori, T. Ide, K. Murakami, N. Tsuboyama-Kasaoka, O. Ezaki, Y. Akanuma, O. Gavrilova, C. Vinson, M. L. Reitman, H. Kagechika, K. Shudo, M. Yoda, Y. Nakano, K. Tobe, R. Nagai, S. Kimura, M. Tomita, P. Froguel and T. Kadowaki. 2001. The fat-derived hormone adiponectin reverses insulin resistance associated with both lipoatrophy and obesity. Nat. Med. 7:941-946.
- McNeel, R. L. and H. J. Mersmann. 1999. Distribution and quantification of beta1-, beta2- and beta3-adrenergic receptor subtype transcripts in porcine tissues. J. Anim. Sci. 77:611-621.
- Mohamed-Ali, V., J. H. Pinky and S. W. Coppack. 1998. Adipose tissue as an endocrine and paracrine organ. Int. J. Obese Relat. Metab. Disord. 22: 145-1158.
- Adiponectin plays a role in energy metabolism for musk secretion in scent glands of muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus) vol.63, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.EJ15-0720
- Adiponectin and resistin: potential metabolic signals affecting hypothalamo-pituitary gonadal axis in females and males of different species vol.153, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1530/REP-17-0002
- Cloning and expression of porcine adiponectin and adiponectin receptor 1 and 2 genes in pigs1 vol.82, pp.11, 2004, https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82113162x
- Abundantly expressed genes in pig adipose tissue: An expressed sequence tag approach1 vol.84, pp.10, 2006, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-737
- The expression of genes related to adipocyte differentiation in pigs1 vol.84, pp.5, 2006, https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.8451059x