- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Feeding Value of Urea Treated Corncobs Ensiled with or without Enzose (Corn Dextrose) for Lactating Crossbred Cows
- Khan, M. Ajmal (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Sarwa, M. (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Nisa, Mahr-Un (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Khan, M. Sajjad (Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, University of Agriculture)
- Received : 2003.08.07
- Accepted : 2004.04.19
- Published : 2004.08.01
This study was aimed to establish the amount of enzose (corn dextrose) for optimum N fixation in urea treated corncobs (UTC) and their dietary effect on nutrient intake, digestibility and milk yield in crossbred cows. Corncobs were treated with 5% urea and ensiled in laboratory silos with 0, 2, 4 and 6% enzose for 15 days. Total nitrogen (N), neutral detergent fiber (NDF) and neutral detergent insoluble N contents were increased in UTC with the level of enzose. Five early lactating crossbred cows (Sahiwal
Urea;Corncobs;Enzose;Nitrogen Fixation;Digestibility;Milk Yield
Supported by : Raphan Maize Products Limited
- Conrad, H. R., W. P. Weiss, W. O. Odwongo and W. L. Shockey. 1984. Estimating net energy lactation from components of cell solubles and cell walls. J. Dairy Sci. 67:427.
- Kanjanapruthipong, J. and R. A. Leng. 1998. The effects of dietary urea on microbial populations in the rumen of sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11(6):661-672.
- Leng, R. A., N. Jessop and J. Kanjanapruthipong. 1993. Control of feed intake and the efficiency of utilization of feed by ruminants. Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition in Australia. Univ. of New England, Armidale, Australia. p. 70.
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorson. 2001. The effect of replacing grass with urea treated fresh rice straw in dairy cow diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(8):1090-1097.
- Nisa, M., M. Sarwar and M. A. Khan. 2004. Influence of feeding urea treated wheat straw with or without corn steep liquor on nitrogen fixation in wheat straw, rumen in situ digestion kinetics, and nutrient digestion in ruminally cannulated buffalo bulls fed ad libitum diets Austr. J. Agric. Reasearch 2:181.
- Sarwar, M. and M. Nisa. 1999. Effect of nitrogen fertilization of stage of maturity of Mott grass (Penisetum purpureum) on its chemical composition, dry matter intake, ruminal characteristics and digestibility in buffalo bulls. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12(7):1035-1039.
- Sarwar, M., J. L. Firkins and M. L. Estridge. 1992. Effects of varying forage and concentrate carbohydrates on nutrient digestibilities and milk production by dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:1533-1541.
- Van Keulen, J. and B. A. Young. 1977. Evaluation of acid insoluble ash as a natural marker in ruminant digestibility studies. J. Anim. Sci. 44:382-389.
- Klopfenstein, T. J., R. A. Britton and R. A. Stock. 1991. Feed technology and other methods for increasing the by pass protein for ruminants fed low quality forages. In: Isotope and related techniques in animal production and health: proceeding of symposium (IAEA, 318:23).
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Khan and M. Nisa. 2004. Influence of ruminally protected fat and urea treated corncobs ensiled with or without corn steep liquor on nutrient intake, digestibility, milk yield and its composition in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(1):86-93.
- Sarwar, M., A. Sohaib, M. A. Khan and Mahr-un-Nisa. 2003. Effect of feeding saturated fat on milk production and composition in crossbred dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(2):204-210.
- SAS. 1988. Statistical Analysis System. SAS user’s guide: Statistics, SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Iqbal, C. S. Ali and T. Khaliq. 1994. Growth performance of buffalo male calves as affected by using cowpeas and soybean seeds as a source of urease during urea treated wheat straw ensiling process. Egyptian J. Anim. Prod. 2:179-186.
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Khan and M. Nisa. 2004a. Effect of urea treated wheat straw ensiled with organic acids or fermentable carbohydrates on ruminal parameters, digestion kinetics, digestibility, and nitrogen metabolism in Nili-Ravi buffalo bulls fed restricted diets. Austr. J. Agric. Research 1:87.
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Khan and M. Nisa. 2003. Nitrogen retention and chemical composition of urea treated wheat straw ensiled with organic acids or fermentable carbohydrates. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(11):1583-1592.
- Sarwar, M., J. L. Firkins and M. L. Estridge. 1991. Effect of replacing neutral detergent fibre of forage with soy hulls and corn gluten feed for dairy heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1006-1014. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78250-7
- Cant, J. P., E. J. Depeters and R. l. Daldwil. 1993. Mammary amino acid utilization in dairy cows fed fat and its relation ship to milk protein depression. J. Dairy Sci. 76:762-771.
- Dass, R. S., A. K. Verma, U. R. Mehra and D. S. Saker. 2001. Nutrients utilization and rumen fermentation pattern in Murrah buffaloes fed urea and urea plus hydrochloric acid treated wheat straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1542-1549.
- Hogan, J. 1996. Feed intake ruminant nutrition and production in the tropic and subtropics. ACIAR, Canbera, Australia. p. 47.
- Van Soest, P. J., H. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, NDF and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal material. J. Dairy. Sci. 74:3583-3584.
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th revised edition. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Islam, M. R., M. Ishida, S. Ando and T. Nishida. 2002. In situ dry matter, nitrogen and phosphorus disappearance in different feed for ruminants. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(6):793-799.
- AOAC (Official Methods of Analysis). 1990. Association of Analytical Chemists, 15th Ed. Arlington Virginia, USA.
- Yadav, B. S. and A. S. Virk. 1994. Effect of acid treatment in reducing ammonia loss during urea ammoniation of straw. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 64:762-768.
- Mehra, U. R., R. S. Dass, A. K. Verma and D. S. Sabu. 2001. Effect of feeding urea and acetic acid treated wheat straw on the digestibility of nutrients in adult Murrah buffaloes (Babulus bubalis). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(12):1690-1695.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1984. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. A Biometrical Approach (2nd Ed). McGraw Hill Book Co. Inc., New York, USA.
- Chemical composition and feeding value of urea-treated corncobs ensiled with additives for sheep vol.56, pp.7, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1071/AR04243
- Nutrient digestibility and feedlot performance of lambs fed diets varying protein and energy contents vol.42, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9511-8