- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Montmorillonite Nanocomposite on Mercury Residues in Growing/Finishing Pigs
- Lin, Xianglin (Feed Science Institute, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xu, Zirong (Feed Science Institute, Zhejiang University) ;
- Zou, Xiaoting (Feed Science Institute, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wang, Feng (Feed Science Institute, Zhejiang University) ;
- Yan, Xianghua (Feed Science Institute, Zhejiang University) ;
- Jiang, Junfang (Feed Science Institute, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2003.11.27
- Accepted : 2004.05.15
- Published : 2004.10.01
The study was conducted to evaluate the effects of montmorillonite anocomposite (MNC) on mercury residues in growing/finishing pigs. A total of 96 cross bred pigs (
- Chang, C. W. J., R. M. Nakamura and C. C. Brooks. 1977. Effect of varied dietary levels and forms of mercury on swine. J. Anim. Sci. 45:279-285.
- Clarkson, T. W. 1992. Mercury: major issues in environmental health. Environ Health Perspect. 100:31-38.
- Erickson, B. E. 2002. Regenerating mercury-loaded sorbents. Environ Sci. Technol. 36(21):408A-409A. https://doi.org/10.1021/es022462d
- Galal-Gorchev, H. 1993. Dietary intake, levels in food and estimated intake of lead, cadmium, and mercury. Food Addit. Contam. 10:115-128.
- Jackson, M. Ombaba. 1996. Total mercury determination in biological and environmental standard samples by gold amalgamation followed by cold vapor atomic absorption spectrometry. Microchem. J. 53:195-200.
- Jeng, S. L. and C. P. Yang. 1995. Determination of lead, cadmium, mercury, and copper concentrations in duck eggs in Taiwan. Poultry Science 74:187-193.
- Jin, H., J. Fu, S. J. Zhen and H. H. Zhang. 1999. Study of adsorption of bentonites to mercury. Technology of Water Treatment 25:226-229.
- Simpson, V. R., N. C. Stuart, R. Munro, A. Hunt and C. T. Livesey. 1997. Poisoning of dairy heifers by mercurous chloride. Vet. Res. 140:549-552.
- Zalups, R. K. 1997. Reductions in Renal Mass and the Nephropathy Induced by Mercury. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 143:366-379. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.1996.8084
- SAS Institute Inc. 1989. User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Inst. Inc. Cary, NC.
- Ammerman, C. B., S. L. Miller, K. R. Fick and S. L. Hansard. 1977. Contaminating elements in mineral supplements and their potential toxicity: a review. J. Anim. Sci. 44:485-508.
- Jorhem, L., S. Slorach, B. Sundstrom and B. Ohlin. 1991. Lead, cadmium, arsenic and mercury in meat, liver and kidney of Swedish pigs and cattle in 1984-88. Food Addit. Contam. 8:201-212.
- Nicholson, F. A., B. J. Chambers, J. R. Williams and R. J. Unwin. 1999. Heavy metal contents of livestock feeds and animal manures in England and Wales. Bioresource Technology 70:23-31.
- Nriagu, J. O. and J. M. Pacyna. 1988. Quantitative assessment of worldwide contamination of air, water and soils by trace elements. Nature 333:134-139.
- Wang, Y., Y. Wang and E. D. Wang. 2001. A study on characteristics of modified montmorillonite. Acta Petrologica Et Mineralogia. 20:565-567.
- Janicki, K., J. Dobrowolski and K. Krasnicki. 1987. Correlation between contamination of the rural environment with mercury and occurrence of leukaemia in men and cattle. Chemosphere. 16:253-257.
- Piper, R. C., V. L. Miller and E. D. Dickinson. 1971. Toxicity and distribution of mercury in pigs with acute methylmercurialism. Am. J. Vet. Res. 32:263.
- Undabeytia, T. 1993. Adsorption-desorption of chlordimeform on montmorillonite: Effect of clay aggregation and competitive adsorption with cadmium. Environ. Sci. Tech. 33:864-869.
- Khajarern, J. M., S. Khajarern, T. H. Moon and J. H. Lee. 2003. Effects of dietary supplementation of fermented chitinchitosan (FERMKIT) on toxicity of mycotoxin in ducks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:706-713.
- Ramos, A. J. and E. Hernanadez. 1997. Prevention of aflatoxicosis in farm animals by means of hydrated sodium calcium aluminisilicate addition to feedstuffs: a review. Animal Feed Science Technology 65:197-206.
- March, B. E., R. Soong, E. Bilinski and R. E. E. Jonas. 1974. Effects on chickens of chronic exposure to mercury at low levels through dietary fish meal. Poult. Sci. 53:2175-2181.
- Zalups, R. K. 1995. Progressive losses of renal mass and the renal and hepatic disposition of administered inorganic mercury. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 130:121-131. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.1995.1016
- Effect of Montmorillonite Superfine Composite on Growth Performance and Tissue Lead Level in Pigs vol.125, pp.3, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-008-8173-0
- Assessment of Cu (II)-Bearing Montmorillonite on Cd Adsorption vol.130, pp.2, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-009-8327-8
- Clays as dietary supplements for swine: A review vol.6, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-015-0037-9