- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Salt Level in the Feed on Performance of Red and Fallow Weaner Deer
- Ru, Y.J. (Livestock Systems, South Australian Research and Development Institute, Roseworthy Campus Roseworthy) ;
- Fischer, M. (Livestock Systems, South Australian Research and Development Institute, Roseworthy Campus Roseworthy) ;
- Glatz, P.C. (Livestock Systems, South Australian Research and Development Institute, Roseworthy Campus Roseworthy) ;
- Bao, Y.M. (Baotou Rear Earth Research Institute)
- 투고 : 2003.05.21
- 심사 : 2004.01.26
- 발행 : 2004.05.01
In Australia, many cropping areas are affected by salt. In these regions, Chenopodiaceous plants, such as Atriplex, Kochia and Bassia spp have been planted to improve soil conditions. These plants have become invaluable feed resources for grazing animals in dry summers, but have a high sodium content. To assess the impact of high salt intake on grazing deer, two experiments were conducted. The first experiment used 30 fallow weaner deer to examine the effect of salt level in the diet on feed intake, water intake and body weight of fallow deer. Salt was added to lucerne chaff at 0, 1.5, 3.0, 4.5 and 6% and fresh water was offered all the time. Increasing the salt level in the diet from 0 to 6% didn't affect feed intake, osmotic pressure and mineral concentration in blood of fallow deer. However, water intake was significantly higher (p<0.05) in deer fed diets containing more than 3% salt. Body weight was lower (p
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Adelaide University
- Fennessy, P. F., G. H. Moore and I. D. Corson. 1981. Energy requirements of red deer. Proc. New Zealand Soc. Anim. Prod. 41:167-173.
- Khalil, J. K., W. N. Sawaya and S. Z. Hyder. 1986. Nutrient composition of Atriplex leaves grown in Saudi Arabia. J. Range Manage. 39:104-107.
- Leigh, J. H. 1986. Forage value and utilisation of chenopod dominated shrubland. Reclamation and Revegetation Res. 5:387-402.
- Leigh, J. H. and W. E. Mulham. 1964. Proc. Aust. Soc. Anim. Prod. 5:251.
- Leeson, S. and J. D. Summers. 2001. Nutrition of the Chicken. 4th edition. pp. 372-375.
- Meyer, J. H. and W. C. Weir. 1954. Journal of Animal Science 13:443.
- Mozafar, A. and J. R. Goodin. 1970. Vesiculated hairs: a mechanism for salt tolerance in Atriplex halimus L. Plant physiol. 45:62-5.
- Peirce, A. W. 1959. Studies on salt tolerance of sheep. II. The tolerance of sheep for mixtures of sodium chloride and magnesium chloride in the drinking water. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 10:725-735.
- Ru, Y. J. and P. C. Glatz. 2002. Energy and protein requirements of fallow deer under a Mediterranean environment. Deer Research Report. Rural Industry Research and Development Corporation. Canberra, Australia.
- Ru, Y. J., P. C. Glatz, Z. H. Miao, K. Swanson, S. Falkenberg and S. Wyatt. 2002. Comparison of the digestibility of grain and forage by sheep, red and fallow deer. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:800-805.
- Sharma, M. L. 1978. Water use by Chenopod shrublands. In Studies of the Australian Arid Zone (Ed. K. M. W. Howes). CSIRO, Australia, p. 139.
- Sturkie, P. D. 1976. Avian Physiology. Third Edition. pp. 206-207.
- Wilkinson, L., M. Hill, J. P. Welna and G. K. Birkenbeuel. 1992. SYSTAT for Windows: Statistics, Version 5 Edition. Evanston, IL: SYSTAT, Inc., 1992.
- Wilson, A. D. 1966a. The value of Atriplex (saltbush) and Kochia (bluebush) species as food for sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 17:147-153.
- Wilson, A. D. 1966b. The intake and excretion of sodium by sheep fed on species of Atriplex (saltbush) and Kochia (bluebush). Aust. J. Agric. Res. 17:155-163.
- Wilson, A. D. 1978. Water requirements of sheep. In Studies of the Australian Arid Zone (Ed. K. M. W. Howes). CSIRO, Australia, p. 179.
- Wilson, A. D. and N. L. Hindley. 1968. Comparison of the voluntary water intakes of some Australian sheep. Field Station Records 7, 25 Division of Plant Industry. CSIRO, Australia.
- Wood, J. G. 1925. The selective absorption of chlorine ions and absorption of water by the leaves of the genus Atriplex. Aust. J. Exp. Biol. Med. Sci. 2:45-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/icb.1925.3
- Zarcinas, B. A., B. Cartwright and L. R. Spouncer. 1987. Nitric acid digestion and multi-element analysis of plant material by inductively coupled plasma spectrometer. Communication in Soil Science-Plant Analysis 18:131-146.
- Reactions to saline drinking water in Boer goats in a free-choice system pp.1751-732X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118000800