- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dietary Supplementation of Fat Increased Milk Fat Percentage without Affecting Ruminal Characteristics in Holstein Cows in a Warm Tropical Environment
- Wang, A.S. ;
- Jan, D.F. ;
- Chen, K.J. ;
- Yang, D.W. ;
- Fan, Y.K.
- Received : 2003.05.09
- Accepted : 2003.10.13
- Published : 2004.02.01
The purpose of this experiment was to investigate the effect of the diets supplemented with lard or prilled fat (
Holstein Cows;Dietary Fat Supplementation;Milk Production;Ruminal Characteristics
- Canale, C. J., P. L. Burgess, L. D. Muller and G. A.Varga. 1990. Calcium salts of fatty acids in diets that differ in neutral detergent fiber: Effect on lactation performance and nutrient digestibility. J. Dairy Sci.73:1031-1038.
- Chalupa, W., B. Vecchiarelli, A. E. Elser, D. S. Kronfeld, D. Sklan and D. L. Palmquist. 1986. Ruminal fermentation in vivo as influenced by long-chain fatty acids. J. Dairy Sci. 69:1293-1301.
- Fan, Y. K., Y. L. Lin, K. J. Chen and P. W. S. Chiou. 2002. Effect of concentrate feeding frequency versus total mixed ration on lactational performance and ruminal characteristics of Holstein cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:658-664.
- Grummer, R. R. 1988. Influence of prilled fat and calcium salt of palm oil fatty acids on ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestibility. J. Dairy Sci. 71:117-123. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79532-6
- Maiga, H. A., D. J. Schingoethe and F. C. Ludens. 1995. Evaluation of diets containing supplemental fat with different sources of carbohydrates for lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 78:1122-1130.
- National Research Council. 1989. Nutrient requirements of Dairy Cattle. 6th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington DC.
- Palmquist, D. L. and E. A. Moser. 1981. Dietary fat effects on blood insulin, glucose utilization, and milk protein content of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 64:1664-1670.
- Smith, N. E., W. L. Dunkley and A. A. Franke. 1978. Effects of feeding protected tallow to dairy cows in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 61:747-754.
- Ting, S. L. 1990. Study on lactation curve for Taiwan Holstein milking cow. Master Thesis. National Chung Hsing University. Taichung, Taiwan.
- Wu, Z., J. T. Huber, F. T. Sleiman, J. M. Simas, K. H. Chen, S. C. Chan and C. Fontes. 1993. Effect of three supplemental fat sources on lactation and digestion in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:3562-3570.
- Firkins, J. L. and M. L. Eastridge. 1992. Replacement of forage or concentrate with combinations of soyhulls, sodium bicarbonate, or fat for lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2752-2761.
- Palmquist, D. L. and H. R. Conrad. 1978. High fat rations for dairy cows: Effects of feed intake, milk and fat production, and plasma metabolites. J. Dairy Sci. 61:890-901.
- Andrew, S. M., H. F. Tyrrel, C. K. Reynolds, R. A. Erdman and D. L. Palmquist. 1990. Net energy value for lactation of a dietary fat supplement fed to mature dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 73 (Suppl.1):191-191 (Abstr.).
- Erwin, E. S., G. J. Macro and E. M. Emery. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci. 44:1768-1771.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1989. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 12. 6th Ed. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC. USA.
- DePeters, E. J., S. J. Taylor and R. L. Baldwin. 1989. Effect of dietary fat in isocaloric rations on the nitrogen content of milk from Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:2949-2957.
- Drackley, J. K. and D. J. Schingoethe. 1986. Extruded blend of soybean meal and sunflower seeds for dairy cattle in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 69:371-384.
- Ferguson, J. D., D. Skalan, W. V. Chalupa and D. S. Kronfeld. 1990. Effects of hard fats on in vitro and in vivo rumen fermentation, milk production and reproduction in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 73:2864-2879.
- Drackley, J. K., T. H. Klusmeyer, A. M. Trusk and J. H. Clark. 1992. Infusion of long-chain fatty acids varying in saturation and chain length into the abomasum of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:1517-1526.
- Yang, Y. T., R. L. Baldwin and W. N. Garrett. 1978. Effects of dietary lipid supplementation on adipose tissue metabolism in lambs and steers. J. Anim. Sci. 47:686-691.
- Wrenn, T. R., J. Bitman, R. A. Waterman, J. R. Weyant, D. L. Wood, L. L. Strozinski and N. W. Hoover, Jr. 1978. Feeding protected and unprotected tallow to lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 61:49-58.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Roseler, D. K., J. D. Ferguson, C. J. Sniffen and J. Herrema. 1993. Dietary protein degradability effects on plasma urea nitrogen and milk urea nitrogen in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:525-534.
- Elliott, J. P., J. K. Drackley, D. J. Schauff and E. H. Jaster. 1993. Diets containing high oil corn and tallow for dairy cows during early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 76:775-788.
- Jenkins, T. C. and B. F. Jenny. 1989. Effect of hydrogenated fat on feed intake, nutrient digestion, and lactation performance of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:2316-2324.
- Palmquist, D. L., T. C. Jenkins and A. E. Joyner, Jr. 1986. Effect of dietary fat and calcium source on insoluble soap fermentation in the rumen. J. Dairy Sci. 69:1020-1025.
- Pantoja, J., J. L. Firkins, M. L. Eastridge and B. L. Hull. 1994. Effects of fat saturation and source of fiber on site of nutrient digestion and milk production by lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2341-2356.
- DePeters, E. J. and J. P. Cant. 1992. Nutritional factors influencing the nitrogen composition of bovine milk: a review. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2043-2070.
- Elliott, J. P., J. K. Drackley, G. C. Fahey, Jr. and R. D. Shanks. 1995. Utilization of Supplemental fat by dairy cows fed diets varying in content of nonstructural carbohydrates. J. Dairy Sci. 78:1512-1525.
- Schauff, D. J. and J. H. Clark. 1989. Effect of prilled fatty acids and calcium salts of fatty acids and calcium salts of fatty acids on rumen fermentation, nutrient digestibility milk production, and milk composition. J. Dairy Sci. 72:917-927.
- Casper, D. P., D. J. Schingoethe and W. A. Eisenbeisz. 1990. Responses of early lactation dairy cows to diets which vary in ruminal degradability of carbohydrate and amount of fat. J. Dairy Sci. 73:425-444.
- Schauff, D. J. and J. H. Clark. 1992. Effect of feeding diets containing calcium salts of long-chain fatty acids to lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2990-3002.
- Kim, Y. K., D. J. Schingoethe, D. P. Casper and F. C. Ludens. 1991. Lactational response of dairy cows to increased dietary crude protein with added fat. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3891-3899.
- Grummer, R. R. and D. J. Carroll. 1991. Effect of dietary fat on metabolic disorders and reproductive of dairy cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3838-3852.
- Karunanandaa, K., L. E. Gooding, G. A. Varga, L. D. Muller, W. W. McNeill, T. W. Cassidy and T. Lykos. 1994. Supplemental dietary fat and ruminally protected amino acids for lactating Jersey cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:3417-3425.
- Casper, D. P., D. J. Schingoethe, R. P. Middaugh and R. J. Bear. 1988. Lactational responses of dairy cows to diets containing regular and high oleic acid sunflower seed. J. Dairy Sci. 71:1267-1274.
- Palmquist, D. L. 1984. Use of fats in diets for lactating dairy cows. In: Fats in Animal Nutrition. J. Wiseman. Butterworths, Boston, MA. pp. 357-381.
- Cant, J. P., E. J. DePeters and R. L. Baldwin. 1993. Mammary uptake of energy metabolites in dairy cows fed fat and its relationship to milk protein depression. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2254-2265.
- Stevensen, J. 1994. Excess protein may reduce fertility. Hoard's Dairyman May (10):382-383.
- Coppock, C. E. and D. L. Wilks. 1991. Supplemental fat in highenergy ration for lactating cows: Effects on intake, digestion, milk yield, and composition. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3826-3837.
- Palmquist, D. L. and T. C. Jenkins. 1980. Fat in lactation rations: A review. J. Dairy Sci. 63:1-14.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis.14th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- In vitro and Lactation Responses in Mid-lactating Dairy Cows Fed Protected Amino Acids and Fat vol.27, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14089
Supported by : Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan