- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Semen Characteristics, Frozen-Thawed Sperm Viability, Testosterone Concentration and Embryo Development between Yorkshire Boar A and B
- Yi, Y.J. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, S.H. (College of Visual Image & Health, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, C.S. (Division of Animal Science & Resources, Research Center for Transgenic Cloned Pigs Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2003.05.02
- Accepted : 2004.01.26
- Published : 2004.05.01
This study was carried out to compare the semen characteristics, frozen-thawed sperm viability and testosterone concentration and in vitro fertilization (IVF) and development of in vitro matured pig oocytes between two Yorkshire boars. Semen and blood samples were collected once per week from October to November 2002 from two adult Yorkshire boars at 18 months of age with 170 kg body weight. Sperm were deep frozen in 5 ml maxi-straws with lactose-egg yolk and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (LEN) diluent and stored in liquid nitrogen. Blood samples were obtained at 10 a.m. by inserting a 21 gauge, hypodermic needle attached to 10 ml syringe into surface veins in the ear. The concentration of testosterone was determined by Competitive Enzyme Immunoassay. Ovaries were collected from prepubertal gilts at a local slaughter house. Cumulus oocyte complexes were aspirated from antral follicles (3 to 6 mm in diameter). The medium used for oocyte maturation was modified TCM 199. After about 22 h of culture, oocytes were cultured without cysteamine and hormones for 22 h at
Supported by : Korea Science & Engineering Foundation
- Crabo, B. G. and G. D. Dial. 1992. Artificial insemination in swine. Vet. Clin. North. Am. Food. Anim. Pract. 8:533-544.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1996. SAS/STAT guide for personal computer 6.12. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC., USA.
- Yi, Y. J., Y. A. Kwon, H. J. Ko and C. S. Park. 2002. Effects of diluent component, freezing rate, thawing time and thawing temperature on acrosome morphology and motility of frozenthawed boar sperm. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(11):1553-1558.
- Park, C. S. and Y. J. Yi. 2002. Comparison of semen characteristics, sperm freezability and testosterone concentration between Duroc and Yorkshire boars during seasons. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 73:53-61.
- Hughes, P. and K. Varley. 1980. Reproduction in the pig. Butterworths, London, pp. 187-195.
- Sellés, E., J. Gadea, R. Romar, C. Matás and S. Ruiz. 2003. Analysis of in vitro fertilizing capacity to evaluate the freezing procedures of boar semen and to predict the subsequent fertility. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 38:66-72.
- Almlid, T., S. E. Staven and L. A. Johnson. 1987. Fertility evaluation of the straw freezing technique for boar semen under practical artificial insemination conditions. Zuchthygiene 22:193-202.
- Chung, C. K., H. K. Kim, M. S. Ko, I. C. Kim, J. S. Choi, K. W. Lee, D. S. Son, H. Kim, S. H. Chee and C. S. Park. 1989. Studies on fertilizing capacity and survival of liquid boar semen in 5 ml maxi straws. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 31(3):158-161.
- Coster, G. E. 1978. Tiefgefrierkonservierung von Ebersamen in Kunststoffrohern. In vitro untersuchungen zur verfahrensverbesserung sowie besamungsergebnisse nach awendung unter schiedlicher inseminationsmedien undtechniken. Hannover, Tierarztl. Hochshule, Discussion.
- Hofmo, P. O. and T. Almlid. 1991. Recent developments in freezing of boar semen with special emphasis on cryoprotectants. In Boar Semen Preservation, Vol. 2, Proceedings of the 2nd International Congress on Boar Semen Preservation. Reprod. Domest. Anim. 1:111-122.
- Larsson, K. 1976. Fertility of deep frozen spermatozoa at various intervals between insemination and induced ovulation: influence of boars and thawing diluents. Acta. Vet. Scand. 17:63-73.
- Paquignon, M. and M. Courot. 1976. Fertilizing capacity of frozen boar spermatozoa. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Congress on Animal Reproduction and Artificial Insemination (Kracow), 1041-1044.
- Clarke, R. N. and L. A. Johnson. 1987. Effect of liquid storage and cryopreservation of boar spermatozoa on acrosomal integrity and the penetration of zona-free hamster ova in vitro. Gamete Res. 16:193-204.
- Johnson, L. A., J. G. Albers, C. M. T. Willems and W. Subesma. 1981. Use of boar spermatozoa for artificial insemination. Part Ⅰ. Fertilizing capacity of fresh and frozen spermatozoa in sows on 36 farms. J. Anim. Sci. 52:1130-1136.
- Johnson, L. A., J. G. Albers and J. A. M. Arts. 1982. Use of boar spermatozoa for artificial insemination. Part Ⅱ. Fertilizing capacity of fresh and frozen spermatozoa in gilts inseminated either at a fixed time or according to Walsmeta readings. J. Anim. Sci. 54:126-131.
- Johnson, L. A. 1985. Fertility results using frozen boar spermatozoa: 1970 to 1985 In: Deep Freezing of Boar Semen (Ed. L. A. Johnson and K. Larsson). Swedish University of Agricultural Science, Uppsala, pp. 199-222.
- Borg, K. E., D. D. Lunstra and R. K. Christenson. 1993. Semen characteristics, testicular size, and reproductive hormone concentrations in mature Duroc, Meishan, Fengjing and Minzhu boars. Biol. Reprod. 49:515-521.
- The Cryoprotective Effect of Trehalose Supplementation on Boar Spermatozoa Quality vol.44, pp.4, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2007.00975.x