- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Uphill Exercise on Digestible Energy Intake and Energy Expenditure during Exercise in Yearling Horses
- Matsui, A. (Breeding and Training Research Unit, Hidaka Yearling Training Farm, Japan Racing Association) ;
- Katsuki, R. (Equine Research Institue, Japan Racing Association) ;
- Fujikawa, H. (Equine Research Institue, Japan Racing Association) ;
- Kai, M. (Equine Research Institue, Japan Racing Association) ;
- Kubo, K. (Equine Research Institue, Japan Racing Association) ;
- Hiraga, A. (Equine Research Institue, Japan Racing Association) ;
- Asai, Y. (Breeding and Training Research Unit, Hidaka Yearling Training Farm, Japan Racing Association)
- Received : 2003.07.31
- Accepted : 2004.01.26
- Published : 2004.07.01
The objectives of this study were to evaluate the digestible energy intake and energy expenditure in yearling horses on different training protocols (uphill- and level-track exercise training protocols). Twenty-four thoroughbred yearlings (12 males and 12 females, aged 27.0
Digestible Energy;Energy Expenditure;Exercise;Horse
- Brouns, F. and E. Becker. 1993. Is the gut and athletic organ? Digestion, absorption and exercise. Sports Medicine. 15:242-257.
- Dauncei, M. J. and WPT. James. 1979. Assessment of the heartrate method for determining energy expenditure in man, using a whole-body calorrimeter. Br. J. Nutr. 42:1-13.
- Devienne, M. F. and C. Y. Guezennec. 2000. Energy expenditure of horse riding. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 82:499-503.
- Hebestreit, H., O. Bar-Or. C. McKinty, M. Riddell and P. Zehr. 1995. Climate-related corrections for improved estimation of energy expenditure from heart rate in children. J. Appl. Physiol. 79:47-54.
- Kalkwarf, H. J., J. D. Hass, A. Z. Belk, R. C. Roach and D. A. Roe. 1989. Accuracy of heart-rate monitoring and activity daiaries for estimating energy expenditure. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 49:37-43.
- National Research Council. 1989. Nutrient Requirements of Horses. 5th. Ed. National Academy of Science, Washington DC p. 48.
- Orton, R. K., I. D. Hume and R. A. Leng. 1985. Effects of exercise and level of digestive function in horses. Eq. Vet. J. 17:386-390.
- Pagan, R. J., D. R. Hodgson, W. M. Bayly and P. D. Gollnick. 1990. Kinetics of VO2 and VCO2 in the horse and comparison of five methods- for determination of maximum oxygen uptake. Equine Vet. J. Suppl. 9:39-42.
- Harris, P. A., D. H. Snow, T. R. Great and P. D. Rossdale. 1990. Some factors influencing plasma AST/CK activities in thoroughbred racehorses. Equine Vet. J. Suppl. 9:66-71.
- Sutton, E. L., J. P. Bowland and J. F. McCarthy. 1977. Studies with horses comparing 4 N-HCl insoluble ash as an index material with total fecal collection in the determination of apparent digestibilities. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 57:543-549.
- Jones, J. H., K. E. Longworth, A. Lindholm, K. E. Conley, R. H. Karas, S. R. Kayar and .C. R.Taylor. 1989. Oxygen transport during exercise in large mammals. I. Adaptive variation in oxygen demand. J. Appl. Physiol. 67:862-870.
- Asai, Y., A. Matsui, T. Osawa, M. Kawai and S. Kondo. 1999. Digestible energy expenditure in grazing activity horses. Equine Vet. J. Suppl. 30:490-492.
- Butler, P. J., A. J. Woaks, L. S. Anderson, C. A. Robert and D. J. Marlin. 1993. Stride length and respiratory tidal volume in exercising Thoroughbred horse. Respir. Physiol. 93:51-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-5687(93)90067-K
- Vogtmann, H., H. P. Pfirter and A. L. Prabucki. 1975. A new method of determining metabolisability of energy and digestibility of fatty acid in broiler diets. Br. Pou. Sci. 16:531-534.
- AOAC. 1999. Official Methods of Analysis (16th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Ceesay, S. M., A. M. Prentice, K. C. Day, P. R. Mufgatroyd, G. R. Goldberg, W. Scott and G.. B. Spurr. 1989. The use of heart rate monitoring in the estimation of energy expenditure, a validation study using indirect whole-body calofimetry. Br. J. Nutr. 61:175-186.
- Fonnesbeck, P. V. 1981. Estimating digestible energy and TDN for horses with chemical analysis of feeds. 290:241-242.
- Li, R., P. Deurenberg and J. G. Hautvast. 1993. A critical evaluation of heart rate monitoring to assess energy expenditure in individuals. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 58:602-607.
- Brosh, A., Y. Aharoni, A. A. Degen, D. Wright and B. Young. 1998. Estimation of energy expenditure from heart rate measurements in cattle maintained under different conditions. J. Anim. Sci. 76:3054-3064.
- Ott, E. A., R. L. Asquith and J. P. Feaster. 1981. Lysine supplementation of diets for yearling horses. J. Anim. Sci. 53:1496-1503.
- Katsuki, R., Y. Asai and H. Fuhikawa. 1998. Effect of exercise on the apparent energy digestibility of timothy and alfalfa in thoroughbred horses. J. Equine Sci. 9:29-31.
- Hiraga, A., M. Kai, K. Kubo, Y. Yammaya and E. K. Erickson. 1995. The effect of incline on cardiopulmonary function during exercise in the horse. J. Equine Sci. 2:55-60.
- Frape, D. L. 1988. Dietary requirements and athletic performance of horse. Equine Vet. J. 20:163-172. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.1988.tb01490.x
- Birks, E. K., J. H. Jones and J. D. Berry. 1991. Plasma lactate kinetics in xercising horse. In: Equine Exercise Physiology 3, (Ed. S. G. B. P. A. Lindholm and L. B. Jeffcott), Almqvist and Wikesell Tryckeri, Uppsala. pp. 170-187.
- Fan, Y. K., J. C. Hsu, H. C. Peh, C. L. Tsang, S. P. Cheng, S. C. Chiu and J. C. Ju. 2002. The Effects of Endurance Training on the Hemogram of the Horse. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1348-1353.
- Thornton, J., J. Pagan and S. Persson. 1987. The oxygen cost of weight loading and inclined treadmill exercise in the horse. p. 206-215. In: Equine Exercise Physiology 2. (Ed. J. R. Gillespie and N. E. Robinson) ICEEP Publication, Davis, California.
- Van Soest, P. J. 1963. Use of detergents in the analysis fibrous feeds II. A rapid method for the determination of fiber and ligunine. J. Ass. Agric. Chem. 6:829-835.
- Apparent digestibilities of diets based on timothy and Italian ryegrass hay harvested in different regions in Japan fed to exercising Thoroughbreds vol.76, pp.4, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2005.00276.x