- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Zinc on Performance and Immune Response of Growing Pigs Inoculated with Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae
- Roberts, E.S. (Department of Population Health and Pathobiology, North Carolina State University) ;
- Heugten, E. van (Department of Animal Science and Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, North Carolina State University) ;
- Spears, J.W. (Department of Animal Science and Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, North Carolina State University) ;
- Routh, P.A. (Department of Population Health and Pathobiology, North Carolina State University) ;
- Lloyd, K.L. (Department of Animal Science and Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, North Carolina State University) ;
- Almond, G.W. (Department of Population Health and Pathobiology, North Carolina State University)
- 투고 : 2003.12.19
- 심사 : 2004.06.04
- 발행 : 2004.10.01
The objective of this study was to determine the effects of dietary Zn level on performance, serum Zn concentrations, alkaline phosphatase activity (ALP), and immune response of pigs inoculated with Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome virus (PRRSv) and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. A
연구 과제 주관 기관 : College of Veterinary Medicine Research
- Bautista, E. M. and T. M. Molitor. 1997. Cell-mediated immunity to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. Viral Immunol. 10:83-94.
- Benfield, D. A., J. E. Collins, S. A. Dee, P. G. Halbur, H. S. Joo, K. M. Lager, W. L. Mengeling, M. P. Murtaugh, K. D. Rossow, G. W. Stevenson and J. J. Zimmerman. 1999. Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome. In: Diseases of Swine (Ed. B. E. Straw, S. D’Allaire, W. L. Mengeling and D. J. Taylor). 8th Ed. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA. pp. 201-232.
- Driessen, C., K. Hirv, L. Rink and H. Kirchner. 1994. Induction of cytokines by zinc in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells and separated monocytes. Lymphokine Cytokine Res. 13:15-20.
- Hill, G. M. and E. R. Miller. 1983. Effect of dietary zinc levels on the growth and development of the gilt. J. Anim. Sci. 57:106-113.
- Hill, G. M., G. L. Cromwell, T. D. Crenshaw, C. R. Dove, R. C. Ewan, D. A. Knabe, A. J. Lewis, G. W. Libal, D. C. Mahan, G. C. Shurson, L. L. Southern and T. L. Veum. 2000. Growth promotion effects and plasma changes from feeding high dietary concentrations of zinc and copper to weanling pigs (regional study). J. Anim. Sci. 78:1010-1016.
- Messier, S., R. F. Ross and P. S. Paul. 1990. Humoral and cellular responses of pigs inoculated with Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Am. J. Vet. Res. 51:52-58.
- Rossow, K. D. 1998. Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome. Vet. Pathol. 35:1-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/030098589803500101
- Stevenson, G. W., W. F. Van Alstine and C. L. Kanitz. 1994. Characterization of infection with endemic porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus in a swine herd. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 204:1938-1942.
- Tajima, M., T. Yagihashi, T. Nunoya, A. Takeuchi and F. Ohashi. 1984. Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae infection in pigs immunosuppressed by thymectomy and treatment with antithymocyte serum. Am. J. Vet. Res. 45:1928-1932.
- Vallee, B. L. and K. H. Falchuk. 1993. The biochemical basis of zinc physiology. Phys. Rev. 73:78-118.
- van Heugten, E. J., J. W. Spears, M. T. Coffey, E. B. Kegley and M. A. Qureshi. 1994a. The effect of methionine and aflatoxin on immune function in weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:658-664.
- van Heugten, E. J., J. W. Spears and M. T. Coffey. 1994b. The effect of dietary protein on performance and immune response in weanling pigs subjected to an inflammatory challenge. J. Anim. Sci. 72: 2661-2669.
- Wellinghausen, N., H. Kirchner and L. Rink. 1997. The immunobiology of zinc. Immunol. Today 118:519-521.
- Ross, R. F. and D. F. Cox. 1988. Evaluation of tiamulin for treatment of mycoplasmal pneumonia in swine. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 193:441-446.
- Wegmann, T. G. and O. Smithies. 1966. A simple hemagglutination system requiring small amounts of red cells and antibodies. Transfusion 6:67-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1537-2995.1966.tb04696.x
- Cheng, J., E. T. Kornegay and T. Schell. 1998. Influence of dietary lysine on the utilization of zinc from zinc sulfate and a zinclysine complex by young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1064-1074.
- Carlson, M. S., G. M. Hill and J. E. Link. 1999. Early- and traditionally weaned nursery pigs benefit from phase-feeding pharmacological concentrations of zinc oxide: Effect on metallothionein and mineral concentrations. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1199-1207.
- Rossow, K. D., E. M. Bautista, S. M. Goyal, T. W. Molitor, M. P. Murtaugh, R. B. Morrison, D. A. Benfield and J. E. Collins. 1994. Experimental porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus infection in one-, four- and 10 week-old pigs. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 6:3-12.
- Katouli, M., L. Melin, M. Jensen-Waern, P. Wallgren and R. Mollby. 1999. The effect of zinc oxide supplementation on the stability of the intestinal flora with special reference to composition of coliforms in weaned pigs. J. Appl. Microbiol. 87:564-573.
- Lamontagne, L., C. Page, L. Larochelle, D. Longtin and R. Magar. 2001. Polyclonal activation of B cells occurs in lymphoid organs from porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV)-infected pigs. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 82:165-182.
- Zimmerman, J. J., K. J. Yoon, R. W. Wills and S. L. Swenson. 1997. General overview of PRRSV: a perspective from the United States. Vet. Microbiol. 55:187-196.
- Bowers, G. N. J. and R. B. McComb. 1966. A continuous spectrophotometric method for measuring the activity of serum alkaline phosphatase. Clin. Chem. 12:70-89.
- Blecha, F., D. S. Pollman and D. A. Nichols. 1983. Weaning pigs at an early age decreases cellular immunity. J. Anim. Sci. 56:396-400.
- Thacker, E. L. 2001. Immunology of the porcine respiratory disease complex. In: (Ed. J. A. Roth) Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract-Immunology. pp. 551-565. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Roberts, N. E. and G. W. Almond. 2002. Infection of growing swine with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae- Effects on growth, serum metabolites, and insulin-like growth factor-I. Can. Vet. J. 43:31-37.
- Pijoan, C. 1996. An overview of PRRS-associated respiratory disease. Proc. 27th Ann. Meeting Am. Assoc. Swine Pract. p. 559.
- Roberts, E. S., E. van Heugten, K. Lloyd, G. W. Almond and J. W. Spears. 2002. Dietary zinc effects on growth performance and immune response of ndotoxemic growing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1496-1501.
- Braunschweig, C. L., M. Sowers, D. S. Kovacevich, G. M. Hill, nd D. A. August. 1997. Parenteral zinc supplementation in adult humans during the acute phase response increases the febrile response. J. Nutr. 127:70-74.
- Liptrap, D. O., E. R. Miller, D. E. Ullrey, D. L. Whitemack, B. L. Schoepke and R. W. Luecke. 1970. Sex influence on the zine requirement of developing swine. J. Anim Sci. 30:736-741.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Wellinghausen, N., M. Martin and L. Rink. 1999. Zinc status in patients with alveolar echinococcus is related to disease progression. Parasit. Imm. 21:237-241.
- Simecka, J. W., S. E. Ross, G. H. Cassell and J. K. Davis. 1993. Interactions of mycoplasma with B cells: Antibody production and nonspecific effects. Clin. Inf. Dis. 17(Suppl 1):S176-182.
- Kobisch, M. and N. F. Friis. 1996. Swine mycoplasmoses. Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz. 15:1569-1605.
- Chandra, R. K. 1984. Excessive intake of zinc impairs immune responses. J. Am. Med Assoc. 252:1443-1446. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.252.11.1443
- Thanawongnuwech, R., T. F. Young, B. J. Thacker and E. L. Thacker. 2001. Differential production of proinflammatory cytokines: in vitro PRRSV and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae co-infection model. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 79:115-127.
- Jensen-Waern, M., L. Melin, R. Lindberg, A. Johannisson and L. Wallgren. 1998. Dietary zinc oxide in weaned pigs - effects on performance, tissue concentrations, morphology, neutrophil functions and faecal microflora. Res. Vet. Sci. 64:225-231.
- Kornegay, E. T., P. H. G. van Heugten, M. D. Lindemann and D. J. Blodgett. 1989. Effects of biotin and high copper levels on performance and immune response of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 67:1471-1477.
- SAS. 1988. SAS User's Guide: Statistics (Release 6.03). SAS Inst. Inc. Cary, NC.
- Thacker, E. L., P. G. Halbur, R. F. Ross, R. Thanawongnuwech and B. J. Thacker. 1999. Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae potentiation of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virusinduced pneumonia. J. Clin. Microbiol. 37:620-627.
- Adeola, O., B. V. Lawrence, A. L. Sutton and T. R. Cline. 1995. Phytase-induced changes in mineral utilization in zincsupplemented diets for pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3384-3391.
- Hevener, W., P. A. Routh and G. W. Almond. 1999. Effects of immune challenge on concentrations of serum insulin-like growth factor-I and growth performance in pigs. Can. Vet. J. 40:782-786.
- Klasing, K. C. and B. J. Johnstone. 1991. Monokines in growth and development. Poult. Sci. 70:1781-1789. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0701781
- Spurlock, M. E. 1997. Regulation of metabolism and growth during immune challenge: an overview of cytokine function. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1773-1783. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.7571773x
- Spears, J. W. and E. B. Kegley. 2002. Effect of zinc source (zinc oxide vs. zinc proteinate) and level on performance, carcass characteristics, and immune response of growing and finishing steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2747-2752.