- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Nutritive Value of Wheat Straw Treated with Pleurotus Fungi
- Fazaeli, H. (Animal Science Research Institute) ;
- Mahmodzadeh, H. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Veterinary, University of Tehran) ;
- Azizi, A. (Agricultural Engineering Research Institute) ;
- Jelan, Z.A. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture) ;
- Liang, J.B. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture) ;
- Rouzbehan, Y. (Tarbiat Modarres University, Faculty of Agriculture) ;
- Osman, A. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture)
- Received : 2003.11.07
- Accepted : 2004.06.04
- Published : 2004.12.01
Soaked and pasteurised wheat straw was inoculated with five species of Pleurotus fungi (coded P-21, P-30, P-41, P-60 and P-90), packed in polyethylene bags and incubated in a fermentation chamber for 21 days. The chemical composition, in vitro digestibility and in sacco degradability of the treated and untreated straw were estimated using a complete randomised design consisting of six treatments and four replicates. In a feeding trial, in vivo digestibility and voluntary intake were determined in bulls, using a
Fungal Treatment;Wheat Straw;Nutritive Value;Pleurotus
- Agosin, E., M. T. Tollier, J. M. Brillouet, P. Thivend and E. Odier. 1986. Fungal pre-treatment of wheat straw: effects on the biodegradability of cell walls, structural polysaccharides, and lignin and phenolic acids by rumen microorganisms. J. Sci. Food Agric. 37:97-109.
- Eriksson, K. E. L., R. A. Blanchette and P. Ander. 1990. Microbial and enzymatic degradation of wood and wood components. p. 407. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg.
- Fazaeli, H., H. Mahmodzadeh, Z. A. Y. Rouzbehan, J. B. Liang, and A. Azizi. 2004. Utilization of fungal treated wheat straw in the diet of late lactating cow. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(4):467-472.
- Jalc, D., F. Nerund and P. Siroka. 1998. The effectiveness of biological treatment on wheat straw by white-rot fungi. Folica Microbiol. 43(6):687-689.
- Kibon, A. and E. R. Orskov. 1993. The use of degradation characteristics of browse plants to predict intake and digestibility by goats. Anim. Prod. 57:247-251.
- Marwaha, C. L., S. Manoj, B. Singh, B. S. Katoch and M. Sharma. 1990. Comparative feeding value of untreated, ureaammoniated and fungal treated wheat straw in growing Jersey calves. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 43(3):308-313.
- Moyson, E. and H. Verachtert. 1991. Growth of higher fungi on wheat straw and their impact on the digestibility of the substrate. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 36:421-424.
- Singh, K., S. N. Rai, Rakatan and Y. W. Han. 1990. Biochemical profiles of solid state fermented wheat straw with Coprinus fimetarius. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 60:984-990.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and non starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Zadrazil, F. 1997. Changes in In vitro digestibility of wheat straw during fungal growth and after harvest of oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus spp.) on laboratory and industrial scale. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 11:37-48.
- Gupta, V. K. and P. N. Langara. 1988. Pleurotus Florida for upgrading nutritive value of wheat straw. Biol. Waste. 23:57-64.
- Yoshida, N., T. Takahashi, T. Nagao and J. Chen. 1993. Effect of edible mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) cultivation on in vitro digestibility of wheat straw and sawdust substrate. Jpn. J. Grass. Sci. 39:177-182.
- SAS. Institute. 1992. SAS/STAT user's guide. SAS Institute Inc, Cary.
- Gupta, B. N., G. P. Singh and K. Singh. 1993. Biological treatment of ligno-cellulosics as feed for animals. An overview. In: (Ed.K. Singh, J. B. Schiere), Feeding of ruminants on fibrous crop residues. New Delhi, India. p. 209. Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Hong, S. H., B. K. Lee, N. J. Choi, Sang S. Lee, S. G. Yang and J. K. Ha. 2003. Effect of Enzyme application method and levels and pre-treatment times on rumen fermentation, nutritient degradation in goat and steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(3):389-393.
- Walli, T. K., S. N. Rai, Gupta and S. Kishan. 1991. Influence of fungal treated and urea treated wheat straw on nutrient utilization in calves. Ind. J. Anim. Nutr. 8(3):227-230.
- Arora, J. K., V. K. Kakkar, K. Sukhvir and S. Kaur. 1994. Bioconversion of agro residues for food and feed. Agric. Rev. Karnal. 15:3-4.
- Jennings, D. H. and G. Lysek. 1999. Fungal biology. 2e sny. Understanding the fungal lifestyle. p. 166. BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd., UK.
- Sharma, D. D., D. V. Rangnekar and M. Singh. 1993. Physical and chemical treatment of fibrous crop residues to improve nutritive value. A review. In: (Ed. K. Singh, J. B. Schiere), Feeding of ruminants on fibrous crop residues. p. 486. New Delhi, India. Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Valmaseda, M., G. Almendros and A. T. Martinez. 1991. Chemical transformation of wheat straw constituents after solid state fermentation with selected lignocellulose degrading fungi. Biomass and Bioener. 1(5):261-266.
- Call, H. P. and I. Mücke. 1997. History, overview and applications of mediated lignolytic systems, especially lacase-mediatorsystems (Lignozym-process). J. Biotechnol. 53:163-202.
- Leng, R. A. 1991. Application of biotechnology to nutrition of animals in developing countries. p. 124. FAO Anim. Produc. Heal. p. 90, Rome.
- Gutierrez, A., A. Prieto and A. T. Martinez. 1996. Structure characterization of extracellultar polysaccharides produced by fungi from the genus Pleurotus. Carboh. Res. 281:143-154.
- Hititi, H. 2003. Evaluation of feeding fibrolytic enzyme to lactating dairy cows on their lactational performance during early lactation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(5):677-684.
- Matsuzaki, K. O. I. S., T. Tanaka, M. Iizuka, M. Taniguchi and P. Prasertsan. 1994. Effect of steam explosion treatment on enzymatic-hydrolysis of palm cake and fibre solid-waste and natural resources. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 77(3):326-328.
- Zadrazil, F., K. Puniya and K. Singh. 1995. Pilot scale reactor for biological treatment of lignocellulosics for animal feed production. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 48:110-117.
- Dhanda, S., H. S. Garcha, V. K. Makkar and G. S. Makkar. 1996. Improvement in feed value of paddy straw by Pleurotus cultivation. Mushr. Sci. 5:1-4.
- Kundu, S. S. 1994. Compositional changes and in vitro digestibility of wheat straw fermented with sporulating fungi. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 47:835-837.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (14th ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Fazaeli, H., Z. A. Jelan, H. Mahmodzadeh, J. B. Liang, A. Azizi and A. Osman. 2002. Effect of fungal treated wheat straw on the diet of lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(11):1573-1578.
- Jalc, D., F. Nerud, R. Zitnan and P. Siroka. 1996. The effect of white-rot Basidiomycetes on chemical composition and in vitro digestibility of wheat straw. Folica Microbiol. 41:73-75.
- Rahal, A., A. Singh and M. Singh. 1997. Effect of urea treatment and diet composition on, and prediction of nutritive value of rice straw of different cultivars. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 68:165-182.
- Flachowsky, G. and G. Klappach. 1993. In sacco degradability of straw treated with cellulolytic enyzmes containing fermented substrates. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 43(4):381-385.
- Ragunathan, R., R. Gurusamy, M. Palaniswamy and M. Swaminathan. 1996. Cultivation of Pleurotus spp. on various agro-residues. Food Chem. 55:139-144.
- Karunanandaa, K. and G. A. Varga. 1996. Colonization of rice straw by white-rot fungi (Cyathus stercoreus): Effect on ruminal fermentation pattern, nitrogen metabolism, and fibre utilization during continuous culture. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 61:1-16.
- Yamakawa, M., H. Abe and M. Okamoto. 1992. Effect of incubation with edible mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus, on voluntary intake and digestibility of rice straw by sheep. Anim. Sci. Technol. 63:133-138.
- Tan, Z. L., D.-X. Lu, W.-Y. Niu, C.-Y. Han, X.-P. Ren, R. Na and S.-L. Lin. 2002. Effects of dietary structural to nonstructural carbohidrate ratio on rumen degradability and digestibility of fiber fractions of wheat straw in sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(11):1591-1598.
- Morerira, M. T., G. Feijoo, R. S. Alvarez, J. Lema and J. A. Field. 1997. Bio leaching of oxygen delignified Kraft pulp by several white-rot fungal strains. J. Biotechnol. 53:237-251.
- Orskov, E. R., F. D. D. Hovell and F. Mould. 1980. The use of nylon bag technique for the evaluation of feedstuffs. Trop. Anim. Prod. 5:195-213.
- Tripathi, J. P. and J. S. Yadav. 1992. Optimisation of solid substrate fermentation of wheat straw into animal feed by Pleurotus ostreatus: a pilot effort. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 37:59-72.
- Azizi, A., T. R. Shamala and K. R. Sreekantiah. 1990. Cultivation of Pleurotus sajor-caju on certain agro-industrial wastes and utilization of the residues for cellulase and D-xylanase production. Mush. J. Tropics. 10:21-26.
- Calzada, J. F., R. Leon, M. C. Arriola and C. Rolz. 1987. Growth of mushrooms on wheat straw and coffee pulp: strain selection. Biol. Wastes. 20:217-226.
- Jalc, D., P. Siroka and Z. Ceresnakova. 1997. Effect of six species of white-rot Basidiomycetes on the chemical composition and rumen degradability of wheat straw. Appl. Microbiol. 43:133-137.
- Zadrazil, F., N. D. Karma, O. S. Isikhuemhen, F. Schuchardt and G. Flachowsky. 1996. Bioconversion of lignocellulose into ruminal feed with white-rot fungi. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 10:105-124.
- Ardon, O., Z. Kermen and Y. Hadar. 1996. Enhancement of lacase activity in liquid cultures of the lignolytic fungus Pleurotus ostreatus by cotton stalks extract. J. Biotechnol. 51:201-207.
- Tilley, J. M. A. and R. A. Terry. 1963. A two-stage technique for the in vitro digestion of forage crops. J. Br. Grassland Socie. 18(21):104-111.
- Polluting macrophytes Colombian lake Fúquene used as substrate by edible fungus Pleurotus ostreatus vol.30, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-013-1443-9
- Exploring the bioprospecting and biotechnological potential of white-rot and anaerobic Neocallimastigomycota fungi: peptidases, esterases, and lignocellulolytic enzymes vol.101, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-017-8225-5
- Effects of fungal (Lentinussajor-caju) treated oil palm frond on performance and carcass characteristics in finishing goats vol.30, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0704
- Digestibility, ruminal fermentation, and nitrogen balance with various feeding levels of oil palm fronds treated with Lentinus sajor-caju in goats vol.31, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0926