- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Changes in Number of Granulosa Cells, Follicular Fluid Levels and Diameter of Oocytes during Folliculogenesis in Pre-pubertal Gilts at Marketing Weight
- Chiou, C.M. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Yang, T.S. (Division of Applied Biology, Animal Technology Institute) ;
- Yeh, S.P. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Tsai, M.Z. (Department of Animal Science, National Chia Yi University) ;
- Cheng, S.P. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Huang, M.C. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University)
- Received : 2003.07.21
- Accepted : 2004.05.03
- Published : 2004.12.01
The follicles (1.8 to 7.8 mm in diameter) were recovered from the ovaries in marketed pigs and the number of granulosa cells, the diameter of oocytes obtained from different development stages of the follicles and follicular fluid levels were determined. Correlations between size measurements and cell counts as well as the diameter of antral follicles and oocytes were also investigated. The results indicated that, while expanding in size, follicle numbers decreased with a greater atretic proportion. Granulosa cells increased in numbers continuously and remained unchanged beyond the size of 200
- Chiquoine, A. D. 1960. There development of the zona pellucida of the mammalian ovum. Am. J. Anat. 106:149-170. https://doi.org/10.1002/aja.1001060207
- Christenson, R. K., J. J. Ford and D. A. Redmer. 1985. Maturation of ovarian follicles in the prepubertal gilt. J. Reprod. Fert. Suppl. 33:21-36.
- Fair, T., P. Hyttel and T. Greve. 1995. Bovine oocyte diameter in relation to maturational competence and transcriptional activity. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 42:437-442.
- Guraya, S. S. 1985. Biology of Ovarian Follicles in Mammals, pp. 3-14. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
Guthrie, H. D., B. S. Cooper, G. R. Welch, A. D. Zakaria and L. A. Johnson. 1995. Atresia in follicles growth after ovulation in the pig: Measurement of increased apoptosis in granulosa cells and reduced follicular fluid estradiol-17
$\beta$. Biol. Reprod. 52:920-927.
- Hyttel, P., T. Fair, H. Callesen and T. Greve. 1997. Oocyte growth, capacitation and final maturation in cattle. Theriogenology 47:23-32.
- Ju, J. C., J. S. Yang, C. T. Liu, C. H. Chen, J. K. Tseng, P. C. Chou and S. P. Cheng. 2003. Differential influences in sizes and cell cycle stages of donor blastomeres on the development rabbit embryos. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:15-22.
- Lonergan, P., P. Monaghan, D. Rizos, M. P. Boland and I. Gordon. 1994. Efficiency of follicle size on bovine oocyte quality and developmental competence following maturation, fertilization, and culture in vitro. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 37:48-53.
- Motlik, J., N. Crozet and J. Fulka. 1984. Meiotic competence in vitro of pig oocytes isolated from early antral follicles. J. Reprod. Fert. 72: 323-328.
- Suzuki, H., X. Yang and R. H. Foote. 1994. Surface characteristics and size changes of immature, in vitro matured and in vitro fertilized bovine oocytes. Theriogenology 41:307.
- Wang, X., S. K. Roy and G. S. Greenwald. 1991. In vitro DNA synthesis by isolated preantral to preovulatory follicles from the cyclic mouse. Biol. Reprod. 44:857-863.
- Black, J. L. and B. H. Erickson. 1968. Oogenisis and ovarian development in the prenatal pig. Anat. Rec. 161:45-56.
- Oxender, W. D., B. Colenbrander, D. F. M. Van De Wiel and C. J. G. Wensing. 1979. Ovarian development in fetal and prepubertal pigs. Biol. Reprod. 26:715-721.
- Fair, T., P. Hyttel, T. Greve and M. Boland. 1996. Nucleus structure and transcriptional activity in relation to oocyte diameter in cattle. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 43:503-512.
- Huang, W. T., S. H. Lu, P. C. Tang, S. C. Wu, S. P. Cheng and J. C. Ju. 2002. Biochemical compositions of follicular fluid and the effects of culture conditions on the in vitro development of pig oocytes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci.15:1403-1411.
- Blondin, P. and M. A. Sirard. 1995. Oocyte and follicular morphology as determining characteristics for developmental competence in bovine oocytes. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 41:54-62.
- Carolan, C., P. Lonergan, P. Monget, D. Monniaux and P. Mermillod. 1996. Effect of follicle size and quality on the ability of follicular fluid to support cytoplasmic maturation of bovine oocyte. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 43:477-483.
- Fukui, Y. and Y. Sakuma. 1980. Maturation of bovine oocytes cultured in vitro: relation to ovarian activity, follicular size and the presence or absence of cumulus cells. Biol. Reprod. 22:669-673.
- Hynes, A. C., M. T. Kane and J. M. Sreenan. 1996. Partial purification from bovine fluid of a factor of low molecular mass with inhibitory effects on the proliferation of bovine granulosa cells in vitro and on rat follicular development in vivo. J. Reprod. Fert. 108:185-191.
- Leibfried-Rutledge, M. L., E. S. Critser and N. L. First. 1985. Fertilization potential of follicular oocytes classified by stage of cycle and size of follicle. Theriogenology 23:753-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(85)90150-5
- Ju, J. C., T. H. Chen, J. K. Tseng, C. Tsey, S. P. Yeh, P. C. Chou, C. H. Chen and C. T. Liu. 2002. Cytoskeletal patterns, in vitro maturation and parthenogenetic development of rabbit GV oocytes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1695-1701.
- Matas, C., E. Martinez, J. M. Vazquez, J. Roca and J. Gadea. 1996. In vitro penetration assay of boar sperm fertility: Effect of various factors on the penetrability of immature pig oocytes. Theriogenology 46:503-513.
- Loeken, M. R. and C. P. Channing. 1985. Direct evidence for denovo synthesis of LH receptors in cultured pig granulosa cells in response to FSH. J. Reprod. Fert. 73:343-351.
- SAS. 1986. SAS User's Guide, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Arlotto, T., J-L. Schwartz, N. L. First and M. L. Leibfried-Rutledge. 1996. Aspects of follicle and oocyte stage that affect in vitro maturation and development of bovine oocytes. Theriogenology 45:943-956.
- Christmann, L., T. Jung and R. M. Moor. 1994. MPF components and competence in growing pig oocytes. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 38:85-90.
- Jolly, P. D., D. J. Tisdall, D. A. Heath, S. Lun and K. P. McNatty. 1994. Apoptosis in bovine granulosa cells in relation to steroid synthesis, cycle adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate response to follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone, and follicular atresia. Biol. Reprod. 51:934-944.
- Grimes, R. W. and J. J. Ireland. 1986. Relationship of macroscopic appearance of the surface of bovine ovarian follicles, concentrations of steroids in follicular fluid, and maturation of oocytes in vitro. Biol. Reprod. 35:725-732.
- Leung, P. C. K. and D. T. Armstrong. 1980. Interactions of steroids and gonadotropins in the control of steroidogenesis in the ovarian follicle. Ann. Rew. Physiol. 42:71-82.