- Volume 17 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Beef Color Stability during Display of Two Muscles between Japanese Shorthorn Steers and Japanese Black Steers
- Muramoto, T. ;
- Higashiyama, M. ;
- Kondo, T.
- Received : 2003.11.18
- Accepted : 2004.05.13
- Published : 2004.09.01
The beef color stability during display of two muscles, m. longissimus thoracis and m. semitendinosus, of Japanese Shorthorn steers (n=14) was compared with that of Japanese Black steers (n=14). The beef color of each carcass was evaluated according to the Japanese Grading Standards at 24 h post mortem. Steak samples from muscles were over-wrapped with PVC film and displayed under fluorescent lights at
Beef;Color Stability;Metmyoglobin;Japanese Shorthorn Steers;Japanese Black Steers
- Bennink, M. R. and K. Ono. 1982. Vitamin B12, E & D content of raw and cooked beef. J. Food Sci. 47:1786-1792.
Muramoto, T., N. Nakanishi, M. Shibata and K. Aikawa. 2003a. Effect of dietary
$\beta$-carotene supplementation on beef color stability during display of two muscles from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 63:39-42.
- Stewart, M. R., M. W. Zipser and B. W. Watts. 1965. The use of reflectance spectrophotometry for the assay of raw meat pigments. J. Food Sci. 30:464-469.
- Sanders, S. K., J. B. Morgan, D. M. Wulf, J. D. Tatum, S. N. Williams and G. C. Smith. 1997. Vitamin E supplementation of cattle and shelf-life of beef for the Japanese market. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2634-2640.
- Faustman, C., R. G. Cassens, D. M. Schaefer, D. R. Buege, S. N. Williams and K. K. Sheller. 1989. Improvement of pigment and lipid stability in Holstein steer beef by dietary supplementation with vitamin E. J. Food Sci. 54:858-862.
- Arnold, R. N., S. C. Arp, K. K. Scheller, S. N. Williams and D. M. Schaefer. 1993. Tissue equilibration and subcellular distribution of vitamin E relative to myoglobin and lipid oxidation in displayed beef. J. Anim. Sci. 71:105-118.
- Chan, W. K. M., K. Hakkarainen, C. Faustman, D. M. Schaefer, K. K. Scheller and Q. Liu. 1995. Color stability and microbial growth relationships in beef as affected by endogenous alphatocopherol. J. Food Sci. 60:966-971.
- Kanner, J. and S. Harel. 1985. Initiation of membranal lipid peroxidation by activated metmyoglobin and methemoglobin. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 237:314-321.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Mitsumoto, M., R. G. Cassens, D. M. Schaefer, R. N. Arnold and K. K. Scheller. 1991. Improvement of color and lipid stability in beef longissimus with dietary vitamin E and vitamin C dip treatment. J. Food Sci. 56:1489-1492.
- Mitsumoto, M., S. Ozawa, T. Mitsuhashi and K. Koide. 1998. Effect of dietary vitamin E supplementation for one week before slaughter on drip, colour and lipid stability during display in Japanese Black steer beef. Meat Sci. 49:165-174.
- Greene, B. E. 1969. Lipid oxidation and pigment changes in raw beef. J. Food Sci. 34:110-112. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1969.tb00898.x
- Muramoto, T., M. Shibata and N. Nakanishi. 2003b. Effect of slaughter age on beef color stability during display of four muscles from Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1364-1368.
- Faustman, C. and R. G. Cassens. 1990. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: a review. J. Muscle Foods 1:217-243.
- Liu, Q., K. K. Scheller, S. C. Arp, D. M. Schaefer and S. N. Williams. 1996. Titration of fresh meat color stability and malondialdehyde development with Holstein steers fed vitamin E-supplemented diets. J. Anim. Sci. 74:117-126.
- Mitsumoto, M., S. Ozawa, T. Mitsuhashi, S. Kono, T. Harada, K. Fujita and K. Koide. 1995. Improvement of color and lipid stability during display in Japanese Black steers beef by dietary vitamin E supplementation for 4 weeks before slaughter. Anim. Sci. Technol. Jpn. 66:962-968.
- Sasaki, K., M. Mitsumoto and K. Kawabata. 2001. Relationship between lipid peroxidation and fat content in Japanese Black beef Longissimus muscle during storage. Meat Sci. 59:407-410.
- Greene, B. E., I. Hsin and M. W. Zipser. 1971. Retardation of oxidative color changes in raw ground beef. J. Food Sci. 36:940-942.
- Schaefer, D. M., Q. Liu, C. Faustman and M-C. Yin. 1995. Supranutritional administration of vitamins E and C improves oxidative stability of beef. J. Nutr. 125:1792S-1798S.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Ito, M. and Y. Kondo. 1983. Myoglobin content of rib muscles of Japanese Shorthorn. Jpn. J. Dairy Food Sci. 32:61-65.
- JMGA 1988. New Beef Carcass Grading Standards. Japan Meat Grading Association, Tokyo, Japan.
- Effects of three lighting intensities during display on discolouration of beef semitendinosus muscle vol.239, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-014-2231-y
- Relationship between metmyoglobin percentage and sensory evaluation of discoloration of venison from wild yezo sika deer vol.87, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.2508/chikusan.87.259