- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dietary Supplementation of Betaine (BetafinⓇ) and Response to High Temperature Stress in Male Broiler Chickens
- Zulkifli, I. (Department of Animal Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Mysahra, S.A. (Department of Animal Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Jin, L.Z. (Finfeeds Interantional Pte. Ltd.)
- Received : 2003.02.21
- Accepted : 2003.10.15
- Published : 2004.02.01
The effects of supplemental betaine (
- National Research Council. 1984. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 8th Revised Edition. National Academic Press, Washington DC.
- Pfaff, F. E. and R. E. Austic. 1976. Influence of diet on development of the abdominal fat pad in the pullet. Br. J. Nutrn. 106:443-450.
- Sapolsky, R. M. 1992. Neuroendocrinology of the stress response. In: (Ed. J. B. Booker, S. M. Breedlove and D. Crews), Behavioral Endocrinology, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. pp. 287-324.
SAS Institute. 1982. SAS
$\circledR$User's Guide: Statistics. (Ed. A. Ray). SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Saunderson, C. L. and J. MacKinlay. 1990. Changes in body weight, composition and hepatic enzyme activities in response to dietary methionine, betaine and choline levels in growing chicks. Br. J. Nutr. 63:339-349.
- Zimmerman, N. G., P. Twining, J. Harter-Dennis and S. Fitz-Coy. 1996. Betaine as a methionine substitute and coccidial deterrent in broilers. Poult. Sci. 75:154 (Abstr).
- Zulkifli, I., P. K. Liew, D. A. Israf, A. R. Omar and M. Hair-Bejo. 2002. Effects of early age feed restriction and thermal conditioning on heterophil/lymphocyte ratio, heat shock protein 70 and body temperature of male broiler chickens subjected to acute heat stress. J. Thermal Biol. (in press).
- Zulkifli, I., R. T. Dass and M. T. Che Norma. 1999. Acute heat stress effects on physiology and fear-related behaviour in commercial broilers and red jungle fowl. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 79:165-170.
- Appleby, M. C., B. O. Hughes and H. A. Elson. 1992. Poultry Production Systems. Behaviour, Management and Welfare. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Kidd, M. T., P. R. Ferket and J. D. Garlich. 1997. Nutritional and osmoregulatory functions of betaine. Wld’s. Poult. Sci. J. 53:125-139.
- Schutte, J. B., J. De Jong, W. Smink and M. Pack. 1997. Replacement value of betaine for DL-methionine in male broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 76:321-325.
- Matthews, J. O., L. L. Southern and J. E. Pontie. 1995. Effect of betaine (Betafin-BCR) on growth and carcass characteristics of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73:195 (Abstr.).
- March, B. E. and G. Hansen. 1977. Lipid accumulation and cell multiplication in adipose bodies in White Leghorn and broilertype chicks. Poult. Sci. 56:1686-1593.
- Leenstra, F. R. 1986. Effect of age, sex, genotype and environment on fat deposition in broiler chickens. Wld’s. Poult. Sci. J. 42:12-25. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19860002
- Moberg, G. P. 1985. Biological response to stress: key assessment of animal suffering and well being. In: (Ed. G. P. Moberg), Animal Stress, Waverly Press, Baltimore, MD. pp. 27-50.
- Zulkifli, I., E. A. Dunnington, W. B. Gross and P. B. Siegel. 1994b. Inhibition of adrenal steroidogenesis, food restriction and acclimation to high ambient temperatures in chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 35:417-426.
- Boch, J., B. Kempf and E. Bremer. 1994. Osmoregulation in Bacillus subtilis: synthesis of the osmoprotectant glycine betaine from exogenously provided choline. J. Bacteriol. 176:5634-5371.
- Chancellor, L. and B. Glick. 1960. Effects of temperature as a stressor on white blood cells, adrenals and bursa of Fabricius of chicks. Am. J. Physiol. 198:1346-1348.
- Zulkifli, I., M. T. Che Norma, D. A. Israf and A. R. Omar. 2000. The effect of early age feed restriction on subsequent response to high environmental temperatures in female broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 79:1401-1407. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.10.1401
- Zulkifli, I., E. A. Dunnington, W. B. Gross and P. B. Siegel. 1994a. Food restriction early or later in life and its effect on adaptability, disease resistance and immunocomptence of heatstressed dwarf and nondwarf chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 35:203-213.
- Gross, W. B. and H. S. Siegel. 1983. Evaluation of the heterophil/lymphocyte ratio as a measure of stress in chickens. Avi. Dis. 27:972-979.
- Smith, J. W., J. L. Nelssen, R. D. Goodband, M. D. Tokach, B. T. Richert, K. Q. Owen, J. R. Bergstorm and S. A. Blum. 1995. The effects of supplementing growing-finishing swine diest with betaine and (or) choline on growth and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 73:83 (Abstr.).
- Impact of osmoregulatory and methyl donor functions of betaine on intestinal health and performance in poultry vol.65, pp.03, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933909000300
- High dietary protein combats the stress of Labeo rohita fingerlings exposed to heat shock vol.37, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10695-011-9504-1
- Effects of Betaine on Energy Utilization in Growing Pigs - A Review vol.12, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.2478/v10220-012-0024-4
- ) supplementation on the reproductive performance of buck and doe rabbits vol.41, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2013.783479
- Effects of dietary betaine on growth performance, fat deposition and serum lipids in broilers subjected to chronic heat stress vol.86, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12372
- Alleviation of heat-stress-related physiological perturbations in growing rabbits using natural antioxidants vol.16, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5424/sjar/2018163-13184
- Effects of dietary supplemental methionine source and betaine replacement on the growth performance and activity of mitochondrial respiratory chain enzymes in normal and heat-stressed broiler chickens pp.09312439, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.13005
- Taurine Reduces Heat Stress by Regulating the Expression of Heat Shock Proteins in Broilers Exposed to Chronic Heat vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2017-0712
- Osmoregulatory function of betaine in alleviating heat stress in poultry pp.09312439, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12990
- Effects of feeding diets containing essential oils and betaine to heat-stressed growing-finishing pigs vol.72, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2018.1492806
- Betaine and Antioxidants Improve Growth Performance, Breast Muscle Development and Ameliorate Thermoregulatory Responses to Cyclic Heat Exposure in Broiler Chickens vol.8, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ani8100162
- Betaine Improves Milk Yield in Grazing Dairy Cows Supplemented with Concentrates at High Temperatures vol.9, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/ani9020057