- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Replacing Spray Dried Porcine Plasma with Solpro500 on Performance, Nutrient Digestibility and Intestinal Morphology of Starter Pigs
- Lai, C.H. ;
- Qiao, S.Y. ;
- Li, Defa ;
- Piao, X.S. ;
- Bai, L. ;
- Mao, X.F.
- Received : 2003.01.06
- Accepted : 2003.09.18
- Published : 2004.02.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate Solpro500 (a wheat hydrolysate containing a high level of glutamine) as a replacement for spray dried porcine plasma (SDPP) in diets fed to nursery pigs. One hundred and eight pigs (Dalland,
SDPP;Solpro500;Performance;Digestibility;Intestinal Morphology;Weanling Pigs
- Bassat, M. and S. Mokady. 1985. The effect of amino-acidsupplemented wheat gluten on cholesterol metabolism in the rat. Br. J. Nutr. 53:25-31.
- Burnham, L. L., I. H. Kim and J. D. Hancock. 2000. Effects of replacing dried skim milk with wheat gluten and spray dried porcine protein on growth performance and digestibility of nutrients in nursery pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci.13:1576-1583.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F-tests. Biometrics. 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Ermer, P. M., P. S. Miller and A. J. Lewis. 1994. Diet preference and meal patterns of weanling pigs offered diets containing either spray-dried porcine plasma or dried skim milk. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1548-1554.
- Illig, K. A., C. K. Ryan and D. J. Hardy. 1992. Total parenteral nutrition induced changes in gut mucosal function: atrophy alone is not the issue. Surgery. 112:631-651.
- Kats, L. J., J. L. Nelssen, M. D. Tokach, R. D. Goodband, J. A. Hansen and J. L. Laurin. 1994. The effect of spray dried porcine plasma on growth performance in the early-weaned starter pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:2075-2081.
- Kim, J. H., B. J. Chae and Y. G. Kim. 2000. Effects of replacing spray dried plasma protein with spray dried porcine intestine hydrolysate on ileal digestibility of amino acids and growth performance in early-weaned pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1738-1742.
- Kim, J. D., Y. Hyun, K. S. Sohn, T. J. Kim, H. J. Woo and In K. Han. 2001. Optimal dietary ratio of spray dried plasma protein (SDPP) and dried porcine solubles (DPS) in improving growth performance and immune status in pigs weaned at 21 days of age. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci.14:338-345.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine (10th Ed.). National Academy Press, Washington DC.
- Tagari, H. 1964. Studies on the relationship between blood urea nitrogen and nitrogen retention of pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 18:333-342.
- Terui, H., J. L. Morrill and J. J. Higgins. 1996. Evaluation of wheat gluten in milk replacers and calf starters. J. Dairy Sci. 79:1261-1266.
- Windmueller, H. G. 1984. In: Glutamine metabolism in mammalian tissues. (Ed. D. Haussinger and H. Spies) Springer, Heidelberg.
- Batterham, E. S., R. D. Murison and C. E. Lewis. 1979. Availability of lysine in protein concentrates as determined by the slope-ratio assay with growing pigs and rats and by chemical techniques. Br. J. Nutr. 41:383-390.
- Kim, I. H. and C. S. Kim. 1998. Evaluation of spray-dried porcine plasma and wheat gluten to replace milk products in earlyweaned pigs. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 40:157-164.
- Hansen, J. A., J. L. Nelssen, R. D. Goodband and T. L. Weeden. 1993. Evaluation of animal protein supplements in diets of early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1853-1862.
- Sauer, W. C., M. Z. Fan, R. Mosenthin and W. Drochner. 2000. Methods for measuring ileal amino acid digestibility in pigs. In: (Ed. J. P. F. D'Mello) Farm Animal Metabolism and Nutrition. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Hampson, D. J. and D. E. Kidder. 1986. Influence of creep feeding and weaning on brush border enzyme activities in the piglet small intestine. Res. Vet. Sci. 40:24-31.
- Richert, B. T., J. D. Hancock and J. L. Morrill. 1994. Effects of replacing milk and soybean products with wheat gluten on digestibility of nutrients and growth performance in nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci.72:151-159.
- Lu, W. D., Y. L. Zhu, J. Sha and H. B. Zhu. 1997. SPSS 6.0 For Windows Update SPSS 233-249.
- Thacker, P. A. 1999. Nutritional requirements of early weaned pigs. A review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:976-987. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.976
- Windmueller, H. G. 1982. Glutamine utilization by the small intestine. Adv. Enzymol. 53:202-207.
- Souba, W. W., V. S. Kimberg and D. A. Plumley. 1990. The role of glutamine in maintaining a healthy gut and supporting the metabolic response to injury and infection. J. Surg. Res. 48:383-389.
- Burke, D. J., J. C. Alverdy, E. Aoys and G. S. Moss. 1989. Glutamine supplemented total parenteral nutrition improves gut immune function. Arch. Surg. 124:1396-1399.
- Leibholz, J. 1986. The utilization of lysine by young pigs from nine protein concentrates compared with free lysine in young pigs fed ad lib. Br. J. Nutr. 55:179.
- Van Dijk, A. J., T. A. Niewold, R. J. Margry, S. G. Van den and M. J. Hoven. Nabuurs. 2001. Small intestinal morphology in weaned piglets fed a diet containing spray-dried porcine plasma. Res. Vet. Sci. 71:17-22.
- Weaver, E. L., L. E. Russell and M. Drew. 1995. Effect of blood protein source on post weaning performance of early-weaned pigs. Pages 4-9. In: Proceedings of the CFIA Eastern Nutrition Conference. Pre-Conference Symposium. Montreal, Canada.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA.
- Richert, B. T., J. D. Hancock and R. H. Hines. 1992. Use of whey protein concentrate, dried buttermilk, and porcine plasma protein to replace dried skim milk in diets for weaning pigs. Kansas State Agric. Exp. Sta. Rep. Prog. 667: 46-55.
- Ziegler, T. R., B. R. Kathleen and J. S. Robert. 1990. Safety and metabolic effects of L-glutamine administration in human. J. Parent. Nutr. 14:137S-146S.
- Chae, B. J., I. K. Han, J. H. Kim, C. J. Yang, J. D. Hancock, I. H. Kim and D. A. Anderson. 1999. Effects of dietary protein sources on ileal digestibility and growth performance for earlyweaned pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 58:45-54.
- Heitzman, R. J. and K. H. Chan. 1977. Liveweight gains, blood levels of metabolites, proteins and hormones following implantation of an anabolic agent in steers. Br. Vet. J. 133:62-70.
- Van Dijk, A. J., T. A. Niewold, M. J. Nabuurs, J. Van Hees and P. De Bot. 2002. Small intestinal morphology and disaccharidase activities in early-weaned piglets fed a diet containing spraydried porcine plasma. Zentralblatt fur Vet. Med. Res. 49:81-86.
- Coffey, R. D. and G. L. Cromwell. 1995. The impact of environment and anti-microbial agents on the growth response of early-weaned pigs to spray-dried porcine plasma. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2532-2539.
- Grant, G., W. B. Watt and J. C. Stewart. 1987. Changes in the small intestine and hind leg muscles of rats induced by dietary soybean proteins. Med. Sci. Res. 15:1355-1356.
- Yoo, S. S., C. J. Field and M. I. Mcburney. 1997. Glutamine supplementation maintains irtranmuscular glutamine concentrations and normalizes lymphocyte function in infected early weaned pigs. J. Nutr. 127:2253-2259.
- Li, D. F., J. L. Nelssen, P. G. Reddy, F. Blecha, P. D. Klemm and R. D. Goodband. 1991. Interrelationship between hypersensitivity to soybean proteins and growth performance in early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 69:4062-4069.
- Kats, L. J., M. D. Tokach, R. D. Goodband and J. L. Nelsson. 1992. Influence of protein source fed to the early-pig during phase 1 (d 0-9) on the response to various sources fed during phase II (d 10-28). J. Anim. Sci., 70 (Suppl.1):60 (Abstr.).
- Gatnau, R. D. and R. Zimmerman. 1991. Spray-dried porcine plasma (SDPP) as a source of protein for weanling pigs in two environments. J. Anim. Sci. 69 (Suppl.1):103 (Abstr).
- Salloum, R. M. and W. W. Souba. 1989. Glutamine is superior to glutamate in supporting gut metabolism, stimulating intestinal glutaminase activity and preventing bacterial translocation. Surg. Forum. 40:6-8.