- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Dietary Fat Inclusion on Nutrient Intake and Reproductive Performance in Postpartum Awassi Ewes
- Oqla, H.M. (Department of Animal production, Faculty of Agriculture, Jordan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kridli, R.T. (Department of Animal production, Faculty of Agriculture, Jordan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Haddad, S.G. (Department of Animal production, Faculty of Agriculture, Jordan University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2003.11.11
- Accepted : 2004.06.04
- Published : 2004.10.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of dietary fat inclusion on nutrient intake, body weight, milk production, return to estrus, pregnancy and lambing of winter-lambing, postpartum Awassi ewes. Thirty multiparous, winter-lambing Awassi ewes (body weight=51
- Al-Wadi, D. I. M. 2003. Soybean meal as a source of ruminally undegradable protein to improve postpartum reproductive performance of Awassi ewes. Master Thesis. Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan.
- Delgadillo, J. A., E. Carrillo, J. Moran, G. Duarte, P. Chemineau and B. Malpaux. 2001. Induction of sexual activity of male Creole goats in subtropical northern Mexico using long days and melatonin. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2245-2252.
- Kridli, R. T., S. G. Haddad and M. M. Muwalla. 2001. The effect of feeding ruminally undegradable protein on postpartum reproduction of Awassi ewes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14 (8):1125-1128.
- Sarwar, M., A. Sohaib, M. A. Khan and M. U. Nisa. 2003. Effect of feeding saturated fat on milk production and composition in crossbred dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:204-210.
- Schillo, K. K. 1992. Effects of dietary energy on control of luteinizing hormone secretion in cattle and sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1271-1282.
- Gonzalez, A., B. D. Murphy, J. de Alba M. and J. G. Manns. 1987. Endocrinology of the postpartum period in the Pelibuey ewe. J. Anim. Sci. 64:1717-1724.
- Short, R. E. and D. C. Adams. 1988. Nutritional and hormonal interrelationships in beef cattle reproduction. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 68:29-39.
- Perry, R. C., L. R. Corah, R. C. Cochran, W. E. Beal, J. S. Stevenson, J. E. Minton, D. D. Simms and J. R. Brrethour. 1991. Influence of dietary energy on follicular development, serum gonadotropins, and first postpartum ovulation in suckled beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3762-3773.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, AV.
- Said, S. I., R. T. Kridli and M. M. Muwalla. 1999. Estimation of milk yield in suckled Awassi sheep under traditional feeding conditions. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 16:163-168.
- National Research Council. 1996. Nutrient requirements for dairy cattle. 6th edition. National Academy of Science, Washington, DC. (Review).
- Canfield, R. W. and W. R. Butler. 1989. Negative energy balance suppression of LH pulses in lactating dairy cows does not appear to operate through endogenous opioid peptides. J. Anim. Sci. 67(suppl. 1):368 (Abstr).
- National Research Council. 1985. Nutrient requirements for sheep. 6th edition. National Academy of Science, Washington, DC. (Review).
- Goering and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures, and some application). Agriculture Handbook No. 379. ARS, USDA, Washington, DC.
- Wettemann, R. P. and I. Bossis. 1999. Energy intake regulates ovarian function in beef cattle. Proc. Amer. Soc. Anim. Sci.
- Foxcroft, G. R. 1993. Female reproduction. In: reproduction in domesticated animals (Ed. G. J. King). Elsevier Science. pp. 129-145.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS/STAT User’s Guide: statistics, Version 6. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- De Fries, C. A., D. A. Neuendorff and R. D. Randel. 1998. Fat supplementation influences postpartum reproductive performance in Brahman cows. J. Anim. Sci. 76:864-870.
- Randel, R. D. 1990. Nutrition and postpartum rebreeding in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 68:853-862.
- Bergfeld, E. G. M., F. N. Kojima, A. S. Cupp, M. E. Wehrman, K. E Peters, M. Garcia-Winder and J. E. Kinder. 1994. Ovarian follicular development in prepubertal heifers is influenced by level of dietary energy intake. Biol. Reprod. 51:1051-1057.
- Rutter, L. M. and R. D. Randel. 1984. Postpartum nutrient intake and body condition: Effect on pituitary function and onset of estrus in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 58:268-274.
- Epstein, H. 1982. Awassi sheep. World Anim. Rev. 44:9-18.
- Thomson, E. F., M. A. Martini and R. N. Tutwiler. 2003. Sheep management practices in Iraq, Jordan and Syria: the case of reproduction and fertility. International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA).
- Lindsay, D. R., G. B. Martin and I. H. Williams. 1993. Nutrition and reproduction. In: reproduction in domesticated animals (Ed. G. J. King). Elsevier Science pp. 459-491.
- Effect of Calcium Soap of Fatty Acids Supplementation on Serum Biochemical Parameters and Ovarian Activity during Out-of-the-Breeding Season in Crossbred Ewes vol.2012, pp.1537-744X, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1100/2012/601840