- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Variety and Stage of Maturity on Nutritive Value of Whole Crop Rice, Yield, Botanical Fractions, Silage Fermentability and Chemical Composition
- Islam, M.R. (Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Ishida, M. (National Grassland Research Institute) ;
- Ando, S. (National Grassland Research Institute) ;
- Nishida, T. (National Grassland Research Institute) ;
- Yoshida, N. (Saitama Livestock Research Center) ;
- Arakawa, M. (Saitama Agriculture Experiment Station)
- Received : 2002.11.29
- Accepted : 2003.09.16
- Published : 2004.02.01
The effect of eight varieties of grain and forage type whole crop rice (Oryza sativa L Japonica) each harvested at four stages of maturity were investigated for morphology and yield, proportion of botanical fractions, fermentatability and chemical composition in an
Supported by : Science and Technology Agency
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research Secretariat. 1994. Feeding standards for Japanese cattle. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Japan (in Japanese).
- Hunt, C. W., W. Kezar, D. D. Hinman, J. J. Combs, J. A. Loesche and T. Moen. 1993. Effects of hybrid and ensiling with and without a microbial inoculant on the nutritional characteristics of whole plant corn. J. Anim. Sci. 71:38-43.
- Ohyama, Y., S. Masaki and S. Hara. 1975. Factors influencing aerobic deterioration of silages. J. Sci. Food Agric. 26:1137-1147.
- Ruxton, I. B., B. J. Clark and P. McDonald. 1975. A review of the effects of oxygen on ensilage. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 30:23-30.
- SAS. 1988. Statistical Analysis System. SAS Procedures Guide, Release 6.03 Edition, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, N.C.
- Tetlow, R. M. and V. C. Mason. 1987a. Treatment of whole crop cereals with alkali. 1. The influence of crop maturity, moisture content and treatment with sodium hydroxide on the chemical composition, preservation and in vitro digestibility of ensiled rye, barley and wheat. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 18:257-269.
- Abe, A. 1988. Feed analysis based on carbohydrates and its application to the nutritive value of feeds. Memoirs of National Institute of Animal Industry, No. 2, National Institute of Animal Industry, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Tsukuba, Japan.
- Yahara, N., S. Takai and T. Numakawa. 1981. Studies on utilization of rice plant as whole crop silage. Bull. Tohoku Natl. Agric. Exp. Stn. 63:151-159 (in Japanese).
- Yoshida, Y., Y. Furukawa, R. Kishikawa and M. Furuichi. 1984. The feeding value of whole crop silage made of a rice plant. Bull. Okayama Prefec. Dairy Exp. Stn. 21:50-56 (in Japanese).
- Nakui, T., S. Masaki, T. Aihara, N. Yahara and S. Takai. 1988. The making of rice whole crop silage and an evaluation of its value as forage for ruminants. Bull. Tohoku Natl. Agric. Exp. Stn. 78:161-174 (in Japanese).
- Ridla, M. and S. Uchida. 1999. Comparative study on the effects of combined treatments of lactic acid bacteria and cellulases on the cell-wall compositions and digestibility of rhodes grass and Italian ryegrass silages. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:531-536. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.531
- Adogla-Bessa, T. and E. Owen. 1995a. Ensiling whole-crop wheat with cellulase-hemicellulase based enzymes. 1. Effect of crop growth stage and enzyme on silage composition and stability. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 55:335-347.
- Nia, S. A. M. and K. M. Wittenberg. 1999. Use of forage inoculants with or without enzymes to improve preservation and quality of whole crop barley forage ensiled as large bales. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 79:525-532.
- Tetlow, R. M. and V. C. Mason. 1987b. Alkali treatment of whole crop cereals. 2. Voluntary intake and digestibility studies in sheep fed cereals ensiled with sodium hydroxide. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 18:271-281.
- Adamson, A. H. and A. Reeve. 1992. Nutritional evaluation of whole crop wheat. Chalcombe Publications, Canturburry, UK.
- AFRC. 1993. Energy and Protein Requirements of Ruminants. An advisory manual prepared by the AFRC Technical Committee on Responses to Nutrients. Compiled by G. Alderman, in collaboration with B. R. Cottrill. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Fukumi, R., S. Kumai and K. Tazi. 1979. Effect of stages of maturity on nutritive value of rice silage. Jpn. J. Zootech. Sci. 33:57-59 (in Japanese).
- Yoshida, N., M. Tomita, Y. Takemasa and T. Takahashi. 1987a. Forage paddy rice for whole crop utilization. 1. The storability affected by different conservation method. J. Japanese Grassland Sci. 33:109-115 (in Japanese).
- Adogla-Bessa, T. and E. Owen. 1995b. Ensiling whole crop wheat with cellulase-hemicellulase based enzymes. 2. Effect of crop growth-stage and enzyme on silage intake, digestibility and live-weight gain by steers. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 55:349-357.
- Hara, S., I. Egawa, S. Itoh, K. Deoka, T. Bando and M. Okamoto. 1986. Feeding value of whole crop silage at various growth stages from rice plant in Hokkaido. Bull. Hokkaido National Agric. Exp. Stn. 15:19-27 (in Japanese).
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, NDF and non-starch poysaccharide in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Ohmomo, S., O. Tanaka and H. Kitamoto. 1993. Analysis of organic acids in silage by high performance liquid chromatography. Bull. Nat. Grassl. Res. Inst. 48:51-56.
- Hartley, R. D. 1981. Chemical constitution, properties and processing of ligno-cellulose wastes in relation to nutritional quality for animals. Agric. Environ. 6:91-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-1131(81)90002-3
- Yoshida, N., M. Tomita, Y. Takemasa and T. Takahashi. 1987b. Studies on the utilization of whole crop rice silage. III. Feed value of rice plants breeding for forage at different growth stages. Bull. Saitama Prefec. Livestock. Exp. Stn. 25:32-37 (in Japanese).
- Woolford, M. K., K. K. Bolsen and L. A. Peart. 1982. Studies on the aerobic deterioration of whole crop cereal silages. J. Agric. Sci. 98:529-535.
- Abe, A., S. Horii and K. Kameoka. 1979. Application of enzymatic analysis with gluco-amylase, pronase and cellulase to various feeds for cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 48:1483-1490.
- Hoffman, P. C., S. J. Sievert, R. D. Shaver, D. A. Welch and D. K. Combs. 1993. In situ dry matter, protein, and fibre degradation of perennial forages. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2632-2643.
- AOAC. 1980. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Official Methods of Analysis, 13th edition, Washington, DC.
- Performance of tropical dairy cows fed whole crop rice silage with varying levels of concentrate vol.46, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-013-0473-5