- Volume 8 Issue 1
Effects of ginkgo Biloba Extracts on Rthanol and Acetaldehyde-induced Oxidative Stress in Rat Brain
에탄올, 아세트알데히드-유도 뇌조직의 산화적 스트레스에 대한 은행잎 추출물의 항산화 효과
- Park Seong-Uk (Natural Science Institute, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Kim Jong-Bong (Natural Science Institute, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Heo Yong (Natural Science Institute, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Lee Sun-Dong (Sangji University) ;
- Kim Hee-Jung (Keongwon Enterprise Ltd.) ;
- Lee In-Sun (Keimyung University) ;
- Han Jung-Ho (Seoul National University, Medical Research Center) ;
- Park Yeong-Chul (Natural Science Institute, Catholic University of Daegu)
- 박성욱 (대구가톨릭대학교 자연과학연구소) ;
- 김종봉 (대구가톨릭대학교 자연과학연구소) ;
- 허용 (대구가톨릭대학교 자연과학연구소) ;
- 이선동 (상지대학교 한의과대학) ;
- 김희정 ((주)경원엔터프라이즈) ;
- 이인선 (계명대학교 전통미생물자원계발 및 산업화연구센터) ;
- 한정호 (서울대학교 의학연구원) ;
- 박영철 (대구가톨릭대학교 자연과학연구소)
- Published : 2004.06.29
Oxidative stress is one of the major reasons for brain aging and neurodegeneration. Ethanol and acetaldehyde increase the levle of oxidative stress in brain tissue resulting in aging and neurodegeneration related alcoholic dementia. Ginkgo biloba extracts are used as therapeutic and preventive agent for dementia. Here, it was investigated whether Ginkgo biloba extract show the effectiveness against ethanol- and acetaldehyde-induced oxidative stress in rat brain. Ethanol and acetaldehyde increased the level of oxidative stress by about 35% to 50% in rat brain tissue. However, Ginkgo biloba extracts reduced the level of ethanol- and acetaldehyde-induced oxidative stress. This result might reveal the link between the effectiveness of Ginkgo biloba extracts on oxidative stress and its effectiveness on alcoholic dementia.
- Circulation v.26;97 no.20 Alcohol therapy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy : Is it time to toast? Bhargava, B.;Agarwal, R.;Behl, V.K.;Reddy, K.S.;Kaul, U.;Manchanda, S.C.
- Free Radic Biol Med. v.24 no.7-8 Stress proteins and SH-groups in oxidant-induced cellular injury after chronic ethanol administration in rat Calabrese, V.;Renis, M.;Calderone, A.;Russo, A.;Reale, S.;Barcellona, M.L.;Rizza, V.
- Free Radic Biol Med. v.15;31 no.12 CYP2E1-dependent toxicity and oxidative stress in HepG2 cells Cederbaum, A.I.;Wu, D.;Mari, M.;Bai, J.
- Hepatology v.29 no.6 Formation of 4-hydroxynonenal adducts with cytochrome c oxidase in rats following short-term ethanol intake Chen, J.;Robinson, N.C.;Schenker, S.;Frosto, T.A.;Henderson, G.I.
- Proc Natl Acad Sci USA v.24;100 no.13 Selective impairment of hippocampal neurogenesis by chronic alcoholism : Protective effects of an antioxidant Herrera, D.G.;Yague, A.G.;Johnsen-Soriano, S.;Bosch-Morell, F.;Collado-Morente, L.;Muriach, M.;Romero, F.J.;Garcia-Verdugo, J.M.
- Hepatology v.16 no.2 Increased 4-hydroxynonenal levels in experimental alcoholic liver disease : Association of lipid peroxidation with liver fibrogenesis Kamimura, S.;Gaal, K.;Britton, R.S.;Bacon, B.R.;Triadafilopoulos, G.;Tsukamoto, H.
- Free Radic Biol Med v.1;32 no.9 Carbonyl modified proteins in cellular regulation, aging, and disease Levine, R.L.
- Hepatology v.26 no.3 Acetaldehyde-modified and 4-hydroxynonenal-modified proteins in the livers of rats with alcoholic liver disease Li, C.J.;Nanji, A.A.;Siakotos, A.N.;Lin, R.C.
- J Pharmacol Exp Ther v.298 no.2 Acute ethanol administration oxidatively damages and depletes mitochondrial dna in mouse liver, brain, heart, and skeletal muscles : protective effects of antioxidants Mansouri, A.;Demeilliers, C.;Amsellem, S.;Pessayre, D.;Fromenty, B.
- Alcohol Clin Exp Res v.22 no.9 Early alcoholic liver injury : Formation of protein adducts with acetaldehyde and lipid peroxidation products, and expression of CYP2E1 and CYP3A Niemela, O.;Parkkila, S.;Pasanen, M.;Iimuro, Y.;Bradford, B.;Thurman, R.G.
- J Pharm Biomed Anal v.1;23 no.1 Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) of Ginkgo biloba flavonol and Camellia sinensis catechin metabolites Pietta, P.;Simonetti, P.;Gardana, C.;Mauri, P.
- Experientia v.15;45 no.8 Superoxide anion scavenging effect and superoxide dismutase activity of Ginkgo biloba extract Pincemail, J.;Dupuis, M.;Nasr, C.;Hans, P.;Haag-Berrurier, M.;Anton, R.;Deby, C.
- Alcohol Alcohol v.25 no.2-3 The genesis of alcoholic brain tissue injury Pratt, O.E.;Rooprai, H.K.;Shaw, G.K.;Thomson, A.D.
- Free Radic Biol Med v.15;25 no.2 Quercetin prevents DNA single strand breakage and cytotoxicity caused by tert-butylhydroperoxide : Free radical scavenging versus iron chelating mechanism Sestili, P.;Guidarelli, A.;Dacha, M.;Cantoni, O.
- Hepatology v.23 no.4 Acetaldehyde and malon-dialdehyde react together to generate distinct protein adducts in the liver during long-term ethanol administration Tuma, D.J.;Thiele, G.M.;Xu, D.;Klassen, L.W.;Sorrell, M.F.
- Life Science v.58 no.16 Extracts of Ginkgo biloba leaves inhibit monoamine oxidase White, H.L.;Scates, P.W.;Cooper, B.R.