- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Processed Xanthii fructus increases cell viability of mast cell line, RBL-2H3
- Hong, Seung-Heon ;
- Oh, Myung-Jin ;
- Lee, Eon-Jeong ;
- Park, Jin-Han ;
- Kim, Na-Hyung ;
- Rhee, Hyung-Koo ;
- Kim, Hyung-Min ;
- Jung, Sung-Ki
- Published : 2004.03.30
The effect of aqueous extract of processed Xanthii fructus (PXF) on cell viability and histamine release from mast cell has been investigated. PXF showed higher cell viability than unprocessed Xanthii fructus (XF) at the concentrations of 5 and 10 mg/ml. Aqueous extract of PXF and unprocessed XF inhibited compound 48/80-induced systemic anaphylaxis in mouse. Both PXF and unprocessed XF dose-dependently inhibited histamine release from rat peritoneal mast cells by compound 48/80 to the similar extent at 0.01, 0.1 and 1 mg/ml. Our studies provide evidence that processing of XF may be beneficial to reduce cytotoxicity in high concentration (at 5 and 10 mg/ml) but does not affect on anti-allergic activity.
Processed Xanthii fructus;Systemic anaphylaxis;Histamine
- Alfonso A, Cabado AG, Vieytes MR, Botana LM. (2000) Functional compartments in rat mast cells for camp and calcium on histamine release. Cell. Signal. 12, 343-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0898-6568(00)00070-X
- Allansmith MR, Baird RS, Ross RN, Barney NP, Bloch KJ. (1989) Ocular anaphylaxis induced in the rat by topical application of compound 48/80. Dose response and time course study. Acta Ophthalmol. Supplementum 192, 145-153.
- Baltzly R, Buck JS, De Beer EJ, Webb FS. (1949) A family of long acting depressors. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 71, 1301-1305. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01172a045
- Chu TR, Wei YC. (1965) Studies on the principal unsaturated fatty acids of the seed oil of Xanthium strumarium. Yao Hsueh Hsueh Pao 12, 709-712.
- Ennis M, Pearce FL, Weston PM. (1980) Some studies on the release of histamine from mast cells stimulated with polylysine. Brit. J. Pharmacol. 70, 329-334. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1980.tb07940.x
- Hong SH, Jeong HJ, Kim HM. (2003) Inhibitory effects of Xanthii fructus extract on mast cell-mediated allergic reaction in murine model. J. Ethnopharmacol. 88, 229-34 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(03)00232-0
- Hsu FL, Chem YC, Cheng JT. (2000) Caffeic acid as active principle from the fruit of Xanthium strumarium to lower plasma glucose in diabetic rats. Planta Med. 66, 228-230. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2000-8561
- Jippo-Kanemoto T, Kasugai T, Yamatodani A, Ushio H, Mochizuki T, Tohya K, Kimura M, Nishlmura M, Kitamura Y. (1993) Supernormal histamine release and normal cytotoxic activity of Beige rat mast cells with giant granules. Int. Arch. Allergy Immunol. 100, 99-106. https://doi.org/10.1159/000236395
- Kim HM, Lee EH, Jeoung SW, Kim CV, Park ST, Kim JJ. (1999) Effect of Korean folk medicine 'Chung-Dae-San' on mast cell-dependent anaphylactic reaction. J. Ethnopharmacol. 64, 45-52.
- Kuo YC, Sun CM, Tsai WJ, Ou JC, Chen WP, Lin CY. (1998) Chinese herbs as modulators of human mesangial cell proliferation: Preliminary studies. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 132, 76-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-2143(98)90029-4
- Mosmann TR. (1983) Rapid colorinetric assay for cellular growth and survival. Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Immunol. Methods 65, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Petersen LJ, Mosbech H, Skov P. (1996) Allergen-induced histamine release in intact human skin in vivo assessed by skin microdialysis technique: characterization of factors influencing histamine releasability. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 97, 672-679. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(96)70313-5
- Shore PA, Burkhalter A, Cohn VH. (1959) A method for flourometric assay of histamine in tissues. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 172, 182-186.
- Yurt RW, Leid RW, Austen KF. (1977) Native heparin from rat peritoneal mast cells. J. Biol. Chem. 252, 518-521.
- Tonggyu-tang, a traditional Korean medicine, suppresses pro-inflammatory cytokine production through inhibition of MAPK and NF-κB activation in human mast cells and keratinocytes vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-017-1704-5
- Traditional Uses, Botany, Phytochemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmacokinetics and Toxicology of Xanthium strumarium L.: A Review vol.24, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24020359