- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Duckling training on Behavior and Rice Yield in Paddy Fields
오리 순치방법이 논 방사후 행동과 벼 수량에 미치는 영향
- Goh, B. D. (Gangwondo Agricultural Research and Extension Services) ;
- Maezono, Y. (Faculty of Agriculture, Kagoshima university) ;
- Manda, M. (Faculty of Agriculture, Kagoshima university) ;
- Song, Y. H. (College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University)
- Published : 2003.08.30
Early introducing the ducks into the paddy field involves a variety of environmental changes such as new surroundings and contact with water, so that some free-ranged ducks show behavioral and physiological changes indicative of stress or die from not adapted for new circumstances. Moreover, the free-ranged ducks was tread on the rice plant, and required a great deal of labor and time for captured the ducks after finishing the introducing. The aim of the present study was to examine the effect of accustoming and imprinting of duckling on behavior patterns, body weight gain and yield of the rice plant in paddy fields. Three paddy plots were used as control (no imprinting and no contact with people), taming (imprinting and regular handling) and roughness (handling roughly and strike terror to ducks) plots. Right after introducing the ducks into the paddy field, eating and moving behaviour of taming plot ducks tended to be longer time spend than that of other treatments. However, eating and moving time tended to be longer in the control than that of other two treatments on the 2 weeks after. Flighting distance was not showed in the free-ranging period taming plot, but the control plot was significantly (P<0.05) longer than the roughness plot. The captured time of free-ranged ducks tended to be shorter in the order of taming, control and roughness plots. Body weight gains was not significant. The number of rice plants damaged by free-ranging ducks in the taming plot were significantly (P<0.05) less than that in the control plot, but the yield and yield components of the rice plant were not differ among 3 treatments. These results indicated that the imprinting or regular handling and related treatments of duckling was reducing badly damage of rice plants, captured time and labor of free-ranged ducks in paddy field, although the working behavior of ducks and yield ability of the rice plants were not affected.
Duckling;Training;Behavior;Ricd yield;Rice-duck farming system
- Barnett, J. L., Hemsworth, P. H., Hennessy, D. P., McCallum, T. H. and Newman, E. A. 1994. The effects of modifying the amount of human contact on behavioural, physiological and production responses of lying hens. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 41:87-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(94)90054-X
- Edar, E., Yabuki, R., Takayama, K., Nakanishi, Y., Manda, M., Watanabe, S., Matsumoto, S. and Nakagama, A. 1996. Comparative studies on behavior, weeding and pest control of ducks (mallard, cherry valley and their crossbred) free-ranged in paddy fields. Jpn. Poultry Sci. 33(4):261-267. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.33.261
- Gonyou, H. W., Hemsworth, P. H. and Barnett, J. L. 1986. Effects of frequent interactions with humans on growing pigs. Appl. Anim.. Behav. Sci. 26:269-278.
- Gross, W. B. and Siegel, P. B. 1982. Socialization as a factor in resistance to infection, Feed efficiency, and response to antigen in chickens. J. Anim Vet Res. 43:2010-2012.
- Hemsworth, P. H. and Barnett, J. L. 1987. Humananimal interactions. IN : Price, E. O.(eds). Farm animal behavior, The veterinary clinics of north America. Philadelphia : Saunders, W. B. Company., p. 339-356.
- Hemsworth, P. H., Barnett, J. L., Coleman, G. J. and Hansen, C. 1989. A study of the relationships between the attitudinal and behavioral profiles of stockpersons and the level of fear of humans and reproductive performance of commercial pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 23:301-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(89)90099-3
- Jones, R. B. 1993. Reduction of the domestic chick's fear of human beings by regular handling and related treatments. The Association for the Study of Animal Behavior. 46:991-998. https://doi.org/10.1006/anbe.1993.1280
- Jones, R. B. 1994. Regular handling and the domestic chick's fear of human beings: Generalization of response. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 42:129-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(94)90153-8
- Manda, M., Uchida, H., Nakagama, A. and Watanabe, S. 1993. Growth and behavior of Aigamo ducks (crossbred of wild and domestic ducks) in paddy fields. Jpn. Poultry Sci. 30(5):383-387. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.30.383
- Manda, M., Uchida, H., Nakagama, A., Matsumoto, S., Shimoshikiryo, K. and Watanave, S. 1993. Effects of Aigamo ducks (crossbred of wild and domestic ducks) herding of growth and production of rice plant in paddy fields. Jpn. Poultry Sci. 30(6):443-447. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.30.443
- 古野隆雄. 1997. 無限に廣がるアイガモ水稻同時作. 農山漁村文化協會. 東京. p. 24-126.
- 萬田正治. 1994. 合鴨飼育技術の基礎. 農業技術體系畜産編6, 中小家畜. 農山漁村文化協會. 東京., p. 17-30.
榎日出男. 1994. Stat
$view^R$による統計分析. 金原出版社. 東京., p. 67-107.
- 木陽有紀, 谷田創. 1999. 家畜はヒトを識別しているのか. ヒトと動物の關係學會誌. 3:72-75.
- 新小田修一, 川崎壽代, 松岡尙二, 平原 實, 久木元忠信. 1994. 合鴨の生産性と行動に關する基礎的硏究. 鹿兒島養鷄試驗場硏究報告書, 32:92-98.
- 園田立信, 林勇, 長谷川信美. 1997. 虐められた鴨雛を水田に放飼した場合の鴨の行動と稻の生育. 西日本畜産學會 第48回 學術發表會 抄錄. No.I-7.
- 高野伸二. 1990. 日本の野鳥. 山と溪谷社. 東京., p. 96-97.
- 高山耕二. 1999. 水田および畑地放飼における家鴨類の適性品種に關する硏究. 鹿兒島大學 博士學位論文.
- Insect Damage Reduction while Maintaining Rice Yield in Duck-Rice Farming Compared with Mono Rice Farming vol.33, pp.8, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1080/10440040903303389