- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nutrient Utilization of Broiler Litter and Bakery By-product Ration in Sheep
육계분-제과부산물 발효 완전혼합사료(TMR)의 면양 체내에서의 영양소 이용성 평가
- Kwak, W.S. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Yoon, J.S. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Jung, K.K. (Dept. of Animal and Life Science, College of Natural Resources, Yeungnam University)
- 곽완섭 (건국대학교 자연과학대학 생명자원환경과학부 축산학전공) ;
- 윤정식 (건국대학교 자연과학대학 생명자원환경과학부 축산학전공) ;
- 정근기 (영남대학교 자연자원대학 생물자원학부 동물생명과학전공)
- Published : 2003.08.30
This study was conducted to determine the effect of feeding a total mixed ration(TMR) of broiler litter(BL) and bakery by-product(BB) with additional BL or rice straw incorporated at 10% of dietary DM as a roughage source on behavior pattern, nutrient intake, digestibility, digestible nutrient intake, ruminal and blood parameters, and N balance of sheep. All the treatment diets were formulated to be isoenergetic[total digestible nutrients(TDN) 66.9%]. Compared with the conventional formulated feed - rice straw feeding system(control), feeding TMR with BL(T1) or rice straw(T2) at 10% of dietary DM resulted in reduced eating, ruminating and total chewing time(P<0.05), similar DM intake, low(P<0.05) digestible DM, OM, fiber and total nutrients intake, low(P<0.05) nutrients digestibilities except EE, similar ruminal characteristics(pH, VFA concentrations and ratios, efficiency of carbohydrate fermentation, NH3-N), and favorable N digestion and retention. There were no differences in the above parameters between T1 and T2 with the exception of increased(P<0.05) eating, ruminating and total chewing time for T2. These results suggested that a TMR of BL and BB with or without rice straw may replace the conventional formulated feed and rice straw in ruminant diets successfully and furthermore feeding the TMR with rice straw made sheep behavior pattern more favorable.
Broiler litter;Bakery by-product;Sheep;TMR;Digestibility;Ruemn;Blood;N balance
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D. C.
- Brosh, A., Holzer, Z., Aharoni, Y. and Levy, D. 1993. Intake, rumen volume, retention time and digestibility of diets based on poultry litter and wheat straw in beef cows before and after calving. J. Agric. Sci. 121:103-109. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600076851
- Carpenter, J. R., Peterson, S. J., Iha, S. Y. and Niino, R. Y. 1994. Determination of fermentation characteristics and nutrient composition of various poultry litter and pineapple greenchop silages. J. Anim. Sci. vol. 72(Suppl. 1):114(Abstr.).
- Chaney, A. L. and Marbach, E. P. 1962. Modified reagents for the determination of urea and ammonia. Clin. Chem. 8:130-132.
- Coulombe, J. J. and Favreau, L. 1963. A new semimicro method for colorimetric determination of urea. Clin. Chem. 9:102-108.
- Ensminger, M. E., Oldfield, J. E. and Heinemann, W. W. 1990. Feed and Nutrition (2nd Ed.). The Ensminger Publishing Company, Clovis, California, USA.
- Erdman, R. A. 1988. Dietary buffering requirements of the lactating dairy cow: a review. J. Dairy Sci. 71:3246-3266. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79930-0
- Kwak. W. S., Fontenot, J. P. and Herbein, J. H. 2003. Digestion and nitrogen utilization by sheep fed diets supplemented with processed broiler litter. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 16: in press.
- Mertens, D. R. 1997. Creating a system for meeting the fiber requirements of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1463-1481. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76075-2
- Muller, Z. O. 1980. Feed from Animal Wastes: State of Knowledge. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper. Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- National Research Council. 1985. Nutrient Requirements of Sheep. 6th rev. ed., National Academy Press, Washington, D. C., USA.
- Patil, A. R., Goetsch, A. L., Galloway, D. L. Sr. and Forster, L. A. Jr. 1993. Intake and digestion by Holstein steer calves consuming grass hay supplemented with broiler litter. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 44:251-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90051-K
- Rankins, D. L. Jr. 1995. Processing options for broiler litter. Feed Mix 3(1):8-11.
- Rankins, D. L. Jr. and Rude, B. J. 1996. Optimizing broiler litter utilization by ruminants. Proceedings of the 52nd southern pasture and forage crop improvement conference. Held at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma March 30-April 2.
- Rude, B. J. and Rankins, D. L. Jr. 1992. Digestibility of johnsongrass ensiled with broiler litter. J. Anim. Sci. 70(Suppl.):305(Abstr.).
- Rude. B. J. and Rankins, D. L. Jr. 1993. Evaluation of bermudagrass(Cynodon dactylon) and johnsongrass (Sorghum halepense) as alternatives to corn forage (Zea mays) for ensiling with poultry litter. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 44:101-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90041-H
- Ruffin, B. G. and McCaskey, T. A. 1990. Broiler litter can serve as a feed ingredient for beef cattle. Feedstuffs 62(15):13-17.
- Schneider, B. H. and Flatt, W. P. 1975. The Evaluation of Feeds through Digestibility Experiments. The University of Georgia Press, Athens, USA.
- Statistix7. 2000. User’s Manual. Analytical Software, Tallahassee, FL, USA.
- Van Soest, P. J., Robertson, J. B. and Lewis, B. A. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wanderley, R. C., Silva, A. G., Pedroso, A. F. and Ashbell, G. 1995. Ruminal digestion kinetics of silages of orange peel and sugar cane mixed with poultry litter. J. Anim. Sci. 73(Suppl.):288(Abstr.).
- 고영두, 류영우, 강한석, 김재황, 유성오, 강경록. 1996. 옥수수-산란계분 SILAGE의 면양체내 소화율과 질소출납 및 반추위 성상에 관한 연구 I. 옥수수-산란계분 SILAGE의 영양소 함량과 소화율 및 질소 출납. 한영사지 20(5):453-458.
- 곽완섭, 윤정식, 정근기. 2003a. 육계분과 제과부산물을 이용한 반추가축용 완전혼합사료(TMR) 제조 시 가공처리 방법이 물리화학적 특성에 미치는 영향. 한국동물자원과학회지 45(4):593-606..
- 곽완섭, 윤정식, 정근기. 2003b. 육계분-제과부산물 완전혼합사료(TMR) 급여가 육성 거세 한우의 생산성, 경제성 및 육 특성에 미치는 영향. 한국동물자원과학회지 45(5): 게재 중. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.5.797
- Effect of feeding a by-product feed-based silage on nutrients intake, apparent digestibility, and nitrogen balance in sheep vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0091-7