- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Deletion of Supplementary Vitamins and Trace Minerals on Performance, Muscle Vitamin E and Fecal Trace Mineral Contents in Finishing Pigs
비육후기 사료에서 비타민-미량광물질 첨가제의 제거가 돼지의 성장 능력, 근육 내 비타민 E 및 분 중 미량광물질 함량에 미치는 영향
- Lee, S.C. (Department of Animal Biotechnology, Cheju National University) ;
- Lee, C.E. (National Jeju Agricultural Experiment Station, RDA) ;
- Kim, K.I. (Department of Animal Biotechnology, Cheju National University)
- Published : 2003.08.30
Two experiments were conducted to determine the effects of deletion of vitamin and trace mineral premixes on growth, feed efficiency, backfat thickness, hemoglobin content, muscle vitamin E content, and fecal, serum and muscle trace mineral contents in finishing pigs raised under two different housing conditions. In Exp. 1, three pens (or experimental units) of five pigs each (average weight
Pigs;Growth;Vitamins;Trace minerals;Vitamin E
- Anderson, L. E., Sr., Myer, R. O., Brendemuhl, J. H. and McDowell, L. R. 1995. Bioavailability of various vitamin E compounds for finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 73:490-495. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.732490x
- AOAC. 1996. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th ed. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem., Arlington, VA.
- Cannon, J. E., Morgan, J. B., Schmidt, G. R., Tatum, J. D., Sofos, J. N., Smith, G. C., Delmore, R. J. and Williams, S. N. 1996. Growth and fresh meat quality characteristics of pigs supplemented with vitamin E. J. Anim. Sci. 74:98-105. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74198x
- Carino C., Oriani, G., Pantaleo, L., Pastorelli, G. and Salvatori, G. 1999. Influence of dietary vitamin E supplementation on “Heavy” pig carcass characteristics, meat quality, and vitamin E status. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1755-1761. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7771755x
- Dove, C. R. and Ewan, R. C. 1991. Effect of vitamin E and copper on the vitamin E status and performance of growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 69:2516-2523. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6962516x
- Edmonds, M. S. and Arentson, B. E. 2001. Effect of supplemental vitamins and trace minerals on performance and carcass quality in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:141-147. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.791141x
- Liu, Q., Scheller, K. K. and Schaefer, D. M. 1996. Technical note: A simplified procedure for vitamin E determination in beef muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2406-2410. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74102406x
- Mavromichalis, I., Hancock, J. D., Kim, I. H., Senne, B. W., Kropf, D. H., Kennedy, G. A., Hines, R. H. and Behnke, K. C. 1999. Effects of omitting vitamin and trace mineral premixes and (or) reducing inorganic phosphorous additions on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and muscle quality in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2700-2708. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.77102700x
- McGlone, J. J. 2000. Deletion of supplemental minerals and vitamins during the late finishing period does not affect pig weight gain and feed intake. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2797-2800. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78112797x
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC.
- Patience, J. F. and Gillis, D. 1995. Removal of vitamins and trace minerals from finishing diets: impact on animal performance. Pages 29-31 in Prairie Swine Centre Annu. Res. Rep. Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Patience, J. F. and Gillis, D. 1996. Impact of preslaughter withdrawal of vitamin supplements on pig performance and meat quality. Pages 29-32 in Prairie Swine Centre Annu. Res. Rep. Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Shaw, D. T., Rozeboom, D. W., Hill, G. M., Booren, A. M. and Link, J. E. 2002. Impact of vitamin and mineral supplement withdrawal and middling inclution on finishing pig growth performance, fecal mineral concentration, carcass characteristics, and the nutrient content and oxidative stability of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2920-2930. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80112920x
- Soler-Velasquez, M. P., Brendemuhl, J. H., McDowell, L. R., Sheppard, K. A., Johnson, D. D. and Williams, S. N. 1998. Effects of supplemental vitamin E and canola oil on tissue tocopherol and liver fatty acid profile of finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 76:110-117. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.761110x
- Spurlock, M. E., Cornelius, S. G., Frank, G. R. and Willis, G. M. 1998. Growth performance of finishing pigs fed diets with or without supplemental vitamins and trace minerals and subjected to multiple immunological challenges. J. Anim. Sci. 76 (Suppl. 2):53(Abstr.).