- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship Between Scrotal Circumference and Semen Production and Reproductive Performance in Hanwoo Bulls
한우 종모우의 고환둘레와 정액생산 및 번식과의 관계
- Park, N.H. (Livestock Research Institute, NACF) ;
- Lee, S.S. (Cattle Genetic Improvement Center, NACF) ;
- Jeong, J. (Cattle Genetic Improvement Center, NACF) ;
- Won, Y.S. (Hanwoo & Dairy Department, NACF) ;
- Kim, N.S. (Dept. of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University)
- Published : 2003.08.30
Scrotal measurements and semen production records of 19,742 during 7 years from 63 Hanwoo breeding bulls(6
- Ball L., Ott, R. S., Mortimer, R. G. and Simons, J. C. 1983. Manual for breeding soundness of bulls. Society for Teriogenealogy. Hastings. USA.
- Brinks, J. S., McInerney, M. J. and Chenoweth, P. J. 1978. Relationship of age at puberty in heifers to reproductive traits in young bulls. Proc. West. Sect. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. 29:28-30.
- Brinks, J. S. 1984. Genetics aspects of reproduction in cattle. In:Proc. of Ann. Conf. on A.I. and E.T. in Beef Cattle.
- Brito, L. F. C., Silva, A. E. D. F., Rodrigues, L. H., Vieira, F. V., Deragon, L. A. G. and Kastelic, J. P. 2002. Effect of age and genetic group on characteristics of the scrotum, testes testicular vascular cones, and on sperm production and semen quality in AI bulls in Brazil. Theriogenology. 58:1175-1186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(02)00921-4
- Chenoweth, P. J., Chase, Jr. C. C., Thacher, M-J. D., Wilcox, C. J. and Larsen, R. E. 1996. Breed and other effects on reproductive traits and breeding soundness categorization in young beef bulls in Frorida. Theriogenology. 46:1159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(96)00287-7
- Coulter, G. H. and Foote, R. H. 1979. Bovine testicular measurements as indicators of reproductive performance and their relationship to productive traits in cattle: A review. Theriogenology. 11:297-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(79)90072-4
- Evans J. L., Golden, B. L., Bourdon, R. M. and Long, K. L. 1999. Additive genetic relation ships between heifer pregnancy and scrotal circumference in Hereford cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2621-2628. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.77102621x
- Foote R. H., Siedel, G. E., Berndtson, W. E. and Coulter, G. H. 1977. Seminal quality, spermatozoal output, and testicular changes in growing Holstein bills. J. Dairy Sci. 60:85-88. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)83832-0
- Gipson, T. A., Vogt, D. W., Massey, J. W. and Ellersieck, M. R. 1985 Associations of scrotal circumference with semen traits in young beef bulls. Theriogenology. 24:217-225. http://www.angus.org/sireeval/scrotal.html https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(85)90186-4
- Johnson, W. H., Thompson, J. A., Kumi-Diaka, J., Wilton, J. W. and Mandell, I. B. 1995. The determination and correlation of reproductive parameters of performance tested Hereford and Simmental bulls. Theriogenology 44:973-982. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(95)00284-F
- Latimer, F. G., Wilson, L. L. and Cain, M. F. 1982. Scrotal measurements in beef bull; Heritability estimates, breed and test station effects. J. Anim. Sci. 54:473-479. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.543473x
- Lunstra, D. D., Ford, J. J. and Echternkamp, S. E. 1978. Puberty in beef cattle: Hormone concentrations, growth, testicular development, sperm production and sexual aggressiveness in bulls of different breeds. J. Anim. Sci. 46:1054-1062. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4641054x
- Quirino C. R. and Bergmann, J. A. G. 1998. Heritability of scrotal circumference adjusted and unadjusted for body eweight in Nellore bulls, using univariate and bivariate animal model. Theriogenology. 49:1389-1396. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(98)00085-5
- Smith, B. A., Brinks, J. S. and Richardson, G. V. 1989. Relationships of sire scrotal circumference to offspring reproduction and growth. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2881-2885.
- SAS. 1985. SAS/STAT Gide for personal compuers. (6th ed.). SAS institute Inc. Cary. North Carolina. USA.
- Sosa J. M., Sengerand, P. L. and Reeves, J. J. 2002. Evaluation of American Wagyu sires for scrotal circumference by age and weight. j. anim. sci. 80:19-22. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80119x