- Volume 45 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Changes of Blood Mineral and Enzyme Activity During Growth Period of Velvet Antler in Korean Spotted Deer(Cervus Nippon)
꽃사슴의 녹용 성장기간 중 혈액 내 미네랄 및 효소활성 변화에 관한 연구
- Kim, M.H. (Korea Nokyong Research Center, Konkuk University) ;
- Moon, S.H. (Korea Nokyong Research Center, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, C.H. (College of Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Jeon, B.T. (Korea Nokyong Research Center, Konkuk University)
- Published : 2003.12.31
This study was aimed at investigating the change of blood mineral and enzyme activity during growth period of velvet antler in Korean spotted deer. Samples of blood, obtained from the jugular vein of twenty-five deer(4 to 6 year-old males), were taken in 10 days interval from just after casting to 50 days. Deer were randomly selected from the farm, and samples were analyzed for blood parameters like mineral concentration and enzyme activities. No significant differences found in calcium and phosphorus concentration in blood whereas sodium, potassium and chloride concentration were significantly changed with antler growth. There were no significant differences in alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase,
Blood mineral;Enzyme activity;Korean spotted deer
- Anderson, A. E., Medin, D. E. and Browden, D. C. 1972. Blood serum electrolytes in a Colorado mule deer population. J. Wildl. Dis. 8:183-190. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-8.2.183
- Audige, L. 1992. Serum biochemical values of rusa deer(Cervus timorensis rusa) in New Caledonia. Australian Veterinary Journal. 69:268-271.
- Banks, W. J. and Newbrey, J. W. 1983. Antlers development as unique modification of mammalian endochondral ossification. In:brown RD(ed) Antler Development in Cervidae. Caesar Kleberg Research Institute, Kingsville, p 279.
- Banks, W. J., Epling, G. P., Kainer, R. A. and Davis, R. W. 1968a. Antler growth and osteoporosis. Ⅰ. Morphological and morphometric changes in the costal compacta during the antler growth cycle. Anat. Rec. 162:387.
- Banks, W. J., Epling, G. P., Kainer, R. A. and Davis, R. W. 1968b. Antler growth and osteoporosis. Ⅱ. Gravimetric and chemical changes in the costal compacta during antler growth cycle. Anat. Rec. 162:399.
- Bronner, F. and Stein, W. D. 1995. Calcium homeostasis-An old problem revisited. J. Nutr. 125:1987s-1995s.
- Brown, R. D., Chao, C. C. and Faulkner, L. W. 1983. Hormone levels and antler development in white-tailed and sika fawns. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Vol.75A. No. 3, pp. 385-390.
- Brown, R. D., Cowan, R. W. and Kavanaugh, J. F. 1978. Effects of pinealectomy on seasonal androgen titers, antler growth and feed intake white-tailed deer. J. Anim. Sci. 47:435-440. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.472435x
- Chapple, R. S., English, A. W., Mulley, R. C. and Lepherd, E. E. 1991. Haematology and serum biochemistry of captive unsedated chital deer(Axis axis) in Australia. J. Wildl. Dise. 27: 396-406. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-27.3.396
- Chen, T. L., Hirst, M. A. and Feldman, D. 1979. A receptor-like binding macromolecule for 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol in cultured mouse bone cells. J. Biol. Chem. 254:7491
- DelGiudice, G. D., Mech, L. D., Seal, U. S. and Karns, P. D. 1987. Effects of winter fasting and refeeding on white-tailed deer blood profiles. J. Wildl. Manage. 51(4):865-873. https://doi.org/10.2307/3801753
- Eems, V. D., Karen, L., Brown, R. D. and Gundberg, C. M. 1988. Circulating levels of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, alkaline phosphatase, hydroxyproline, and osteocalcin associated with antler growth in white-tailed deer. ActaEndocrinologica(Copenh), 118, 407-414.
- Eiben, B., Scharla St, Fischer, K., Schmidt-Gayk, H. 1984. Seasonal variations oh serum 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and alkaline phosphatase in relation to the antler formation in the fallow deer (Dama dama L.). Acta Endocrine(Copenh) 107:141.
- Eiben, B. and Fischer, K. 1984. Untersuchung verschiedener Blutparameter beim Damhirsch(Dama dama L.) im Jahresgang. Z. Jagdwiss. 30:235-242.
- Fritsch, J., Grosse, B., Lieberherr, M. and Balsan, S. 1985. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 is required for growth independent expression of alkaline phosphatase in cultured rat osteoblasts. Calcif. Tissue Int. 37:369.
- Garcia, R. M., Sadighi, M., Francis, S. M., Suttie, J. M. and Fleming, J. S. 1997. Expression of neurotrophin-3 in the growing velvet antler of the red deer Cervus elaphus. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 19, 173-182.
- Glenn, D. D., Mech, L. D., Seal, U. S. and Karns, P. D. 1987. Effects of winter fasting and refeeding on white-tailed deer blood profiles. J. Wildl. Manage. 51(4):865-873. https://doi.org/10.2307/3801753
- Graham E. A., Rainey, R. K., Albert, E., Houghton, E. H. and Moyer, C. A. 1962. Biochemical investigations of deer antlar growth. Part I. Alternations of deer blood chemistry resulting from osteogenesis. J. Bone Jt Surg. 44A, 482-488.
- Knox, D. P., McKelvey, W. A. and Jones, D. G. 1988. Blood biochemical reference values for farmed red deer. Veterinary Record. 122:109-112.
- Kurihara, N., Ikeda, K., Hakeda, Y., Tsunoi, M., Maeda, N. and Kumegawa, M. 1984. Effects of 1,25 Dihydroxyvitamin D3 on alkaline phophatase activity and collagen synthesis in osteoblastic cells, clone MC3T3-E1. Biochem. Biophys Res Commun. 119:767.
- Manolagas, S. C., Haussler, M. R. and Deftos, L. J. 1980. 1,25 Dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor-like macromolecule in rat osteogenic sarcoma cell lines. J. Biol. Chem. 255:4414.
- Morris, J. M. and Bubenik, G. A. 1983. Seasonal levels of minerals, enzymes, nutrients and metabolic products in plasma of intact and castrated adult male white-tailde deer(Odocoileus virginianus). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. 74A:21-28.
- Muir, P. D., Sykes, A. R. and Barrell, G. K. 1987. Growth and mineralization of antlers in red deer (Cervus elaphus). New Zealand J. Agric. Res.(In the Press).
- Riggs, B. L. and Melton, L. J. 1986. Involutional osteoporosis. N. Engl J. Med. 314:1676-1686. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198606263142605
- SAS package. 1985. SAS Institute Inc.
- Sempere, A. J., Grimberg, R., Silve, C., Tau, C. and Garabedian, M. 1989. Evidence for extrarenal production of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin during physiological bone growth: In Vivo and In Vitro production by deer antler cells. Endo. 125, No.5.
- Seal, U. S., Verme, L. J. and Ozoga, J. J. 1987. Dietary protein and energy effects on deer fawn metabolic patterns. J. Wildl Manage. 42:776-790.
- Seal, U. S., Verme, L. J., Ozoga, J. J. and Erickson, A. W. 1972. Nutritional effects on thyroid activity and blood of white-tailed deer. J. Wildl. Manage. 36:1041-1052. https://doi.org/10.2307/3799231
- Sempere, A. J., Bubenik, G. A. and Smith, J. H. 1986. Antler cycle and thermolabile and thermostable alkaline phosphatase in white-tailed deer; circannual and circadianrhythms and variation after thyroxine, dexamethasone and ACTH administration.Acta Endocrinologica, 111:133-139.
- Soveri, T., Sankari, S. and Nieminen, M. 1992. Blood chemistry of reindeer calves(RANGIFER TARANDUS) during the winter season. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 102A. 1:191-196.
Takigawa, M., Enomoto, M., Shirai, E., Nishii, Y. and Suzuki, F. 1988. Differential effects of 1
$\alpha$,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol and 24,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol on the proliferation and the differentiation phenotype of rabbit costal chondrocytes in culture. Endocrinology. 122:831.
- Wilson, P. R. and Pauli, J. V. 1982. Blood constituents of farmed red deer(Cervus elephus). Ⅰ. Haematological values. New Zealand Veterinary Journal. 30:174-176.
- Zomborszky, Z., Feher, T., Eva Horn, Eva Poteczin, Tubolt, S. and Zomborszky, M. K. 1996. Comparison of some blood parameters of captured and farmed red deer (CERVUS ELAPHUS) hinds. Acta Veterinaria Hungarica. 44(4):433-441.
- 신국현. 1987. 호범생약 연구보고서.
- 이귀녕, 이종순. 1996. 임상병리파일.