- Volume 45 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Irradiation and Packaging Methods on the Oxidation of Cholesterol in Raw and Cooked Chicken Leg Meat
방사선 조사 및 포장방법이 생계육 및 조리계육의 콜레스테롤 산화에 미치는 영향
- Lee, J.I. (Gyeongnam Province Advanced Swine Research Institute) ;
- Shin, T.S. (Department of Animal Science, Miryang National University) ;
- Jin, S.K. (Department of International Livestock Industry, Jinju National University) ;
- Kim, I.S. (Department of International Livestock Industry, Jinju National University) ;
- Kim, Y.H. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Call age of Agriculture, Sunchon National University) ;
- Joo, S.T. (Division of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, G.B. (Division of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, Gyeongsang National University)
- 이정일 (경상남도 첨단양돈연구소) ;
- 신택순 (밀양산업대 축산학과) ;
- 진상근 (진주산업대 국제축산개발학과) ;
- 김일석 (진주산업대 국제축산개발학과) ;
- 김영환 (순천대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 주선태 (경상대학교 축산과학부) ;
- 박구부 (경상대학교 축산과학부)
- Published : 2003.10.31
Chicken thigh from a retail market were used as experimental samples. Some chicken samples of raw state were packaged with PVDC at an aerobic and vacuum condition. The other samples were cooked until core temperature arrived at 70
Cholesterol oxides products;Irradiation;Chicken meat
- Addis, P. B. 1990. Coronary heart disease: an update with emphasis on dietary lipid oxidation products. Nutr. rev. 62:7.
- Addis, P. S. and Warner, G. J. 1991. The potential health aspects of lipid oxidation products in food. Ch. 5. In Free Radical and Food Additives, O.I. Aruoma and B. Halliwell (Ed.), p. 77-119. Taylor and Francis L.T.D. London, Great Britain.
- Ahn, D. U., Nam, K. C., Du, M. and Jo, C. 2001. Effect of irradiation and packaging conditions after cooking on the formation of cholesterol and lipid oxidation products in meats during storage. Meat Sci. 57:413-318.
- Ahn, D. U., Olson, D. G., Lee, J. I., Jo, C., Wu, C. and Chen, X. 1998. Packaging and irradiation effects on lipid oxidation and volatiles in pork patties. J. Food Sci. 63:15-19.
- Angulo, A. J., Romera, J. M., Ramirez, M. and Gil, A. 1997. Determination of cholesterol oxides in dairy products. Effect of storage conditions. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 45:4318-4323.
- Beuge, J. A. and Aust, S. D. 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol. 52:302-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(78)52032-6
- Bosinger, S., Luf, W. and Brandl, L. 1993. Oxysterol: their occurrence and biological effects. Int. Dairy J. 3:1-33.
- Chan, S. H., Gray, J. I. and Gomaa, E. A. 1993. Cholesterol oxidation in whole powders as influenced by processing and packaging. Food Chem. 47:321-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(93)90171-B
- Du, M. and Ahn, D. U. 2000. Effects of antioxidation and color changes of irradiated egg yolk powder. Journal of Food Sci. 65:625-629. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb16062.x
- Folch, J., Lees, M. and Sloan-Stanley, G. H. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Bio. Chem. 226:497-507.
- Galvin, K., Morrissey, P. A. and Buckley, D. J. 1998. Effect of dietary alpha-tocopherol supplement and gamma-irradiation on alpha-tocopherol retention and lipid oxidation in cooked minced chicken. Food Chemistry. 62:185-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(97)00208-2
- Grants, R. 1996. Pathogen countdown. Meat Poult. Dec. p. S19-45.
- Hwang, K. T. and Maerker, G. 1993b. Determination of 6-ketocholestanol in unirradiated and irradiated chicken meats. Journal of American Oil Chemists' Society. 70(4):789-792.
- Kesava Rao, V., Kowale, B. N., Babu, N. P. and Bisht, G. S. 1996. Effect of cooking and storage on lipid oxidation and development of cholesterol oxidation products in water buffalo meat. Meat Sci. 43:179-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(96)84589-X
- Kowale, B. N., Kesava Reo, V., Babu, N. P., Sharma, N. and Bisht, G. S. 1996. Lipid oxidation and cholesterol oxidation in mutton during cooking and storage. Meat Sci. 43:195-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(96)84591-8
- Lai, S. M., Gray, J. I. and Zabik, M. E. 1995. Evaluation of solid phase extraction and gas chromatography for determination of cholesterol oxidation products in spray-dried whole egg. J. Agric. Food Chem. 43:1122-1126. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00053a002
Lebovics, V. K., Gaal, O., Somogyi, L. and Farkas, J. 1992. Cholesterol oxides in
$\gamma$-irradiated spray-dried egg power. J. Sci. Food Agric. 60:251-254.
- Lee, M., Sebranek, J. G., Olson, D. G. and Dickson, J. S. 1996. Irradiation and packaging of fresh meat and poultry. J. Food Prot. 59:62-72. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-59.1.62
- Linseisen, J. and Wolfram, G. 1998. Absorption of cholesterol oxidation products from ordinary foodstuffs. Animal of Nutrition and Metabolism. 42:221-230.
- Monahan, F. J., Gray, J. I., Booren, A. M., Miller, E. R., buckley, D. J., Morrissey, P. A. and Gpmaa, E. A. 1992. Influence of dietary treatment on lipid and cholesterol oxidation in pork. J. Agric. Food Chem. 40:1310-1315. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00020a003
- Morin, R. J. and Peng, S. K. 1992. Cholesterol oxides in plasma and tissues. Ch. 5, in Biological Effects of Cholesterol Oxides, S. K. Peng and R. J. Morin(Ed.). CRC Press, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Morin, R. J., Hu, B., Peng, S. K. and Sevanian, A. 1992. Cholesterol oxidation and cancer. Ch. 10, in Biological Effects of Cholesterol Oxides, S.K. Peng and R.J. Morin(Ed.). CRC Press, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Nam, K. C., Du, M., Jo, C. and Ahn, D. U. 2001. Cholesterol oxidation products in irradiated raw meat with different packaging and storage time. Meat Sci. 58:431-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00046-8
- Nourooz-Zadeh, J. and Appelqvist, L. A. 1987. Cholesterol in Swedish food ingredients: fresh eggs and dehydrated egg products. J. Food Sci. 52:57-67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb13972.x
- O'Connell, M. J. and Garner, A. 1983. Radiation induced generation and the properties of lipid hydroxide in liposomes. Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 44: 615-625.
- Paniangvait, P., King, A. J., Jones, A. D. and German, B. G. 1995. Cholesterol oxides in foods of animal origin. J. Food Sci. 60:11591174.
- Park, S. W. and Addis, P. B. 1985. HPLC determination of C-7 oxidized cholesterol oxidation derivatives in foods. J. Food Sci. 50:1437-1441. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1985.tb10494.x
- Park, S. W. and Addis, P. B. 1987. Cholesterol oxidation products in some muscle foods. Journal of Food Sci. 52:1500-1503. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb05863.x
- Peng, S. K., Hu, B. and Morin, R. J. 1992a. Effects of cholesterol oxides on atherogenesis. In: Biological Effects of Cholesterol Oxides, ed Peng, S.K. and Moarin, R. J. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p.167.
- Peng, S. K., Sevanian, A. and Morin, R. J. 1992b. Cytotoxity of cholesterol oxides. In: Biological Effects of Cholesterol Oxides, ed Peng, S.K. and Moarin, R.J. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p.147.
- Pie, J. E., Spahis, K. and Seillan, C. 1991. Cholesterol oxidation in meat products during cooking and frozen storage. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:250-254.
- SAS. 1995. SAS/SATT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute, Cray, NC, U.S.A.
- Smith, L. L. 1981. Cholesterol autoxidation. Plenum press. New York.
- Wang, F. S., Jiang, Y. N. and Lin, C. W. 1995. Lipid and cholesterol oxidation in cheese-style sausage using vacuum and modified atmosphere packaging. Meat Sci. 40:93-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)00020-8
- Zubillaga, M. P. and Maerker, G. 1991. Quantification of three cholesterol oxidation products in raw meat and chicken. J. Food Sci. 56:1194-1196.
- The Effect of Salting Conditions on Formation of Cholesterol and Cholesterol Oxides During Gulbi Processing and Storage vol.37, pp.2, 2008, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.251