- Volume 45 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Salmonella typhimurium lipopolisaccharide Injection on the Performance, Nitrogen Balance and ME Utilization of Dietary Krill Meal in Broiler Chicks
살모넬라 LPS를 주입한 육계 병아리의 생산성과 질소밸런스 및 대사에너지 이용성에 미치는 사료 중 크릴 밀의 영향
- Im, J.T. (Department of Animal Life Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, J.H. (Department of Animal Life Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Park , I.K. (Department of Animal Life Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Koh, T.S. (Department of Animal Life Sciences, Konkuk University)
- 임진택 (건국대학교 축산대학 동물생명과학부) ;
- 김재환 (건국대학교 축산대학 동물생명과학부) ;
- 박인경 (건국대학교 축산대학 동물생명과학부) ;
- 고태송 (건국대학교 축산대학 동물생명과학부)
- Published : 2003.12.31
Effects of Salmonella typhimurium lipopolysacharide(LPS) and dietary krill meal on the Growth and feed utilization were investigated in broiler chicks. Eight cages of five newly hatched chicks each were assigned and fed to one of the experimental diets containing 0.0,(basal) 0.5 or 1.0% krill meal during 3 weeks of experimental period. And half(four) of the eight cages were i.p. injected with saline or LPS(Immune response activation) every alternate day three times beginning 8 day-old during 2 week of age. Dietary krill meal did not affect growth, feed efficiency, nitrogen balance(NB), uric acid excretion, and ME utilization when the saline was injected. However, the immune response activation lowered daily gain and feed intake and NB and increased uric acid excretion, and the relative liver and spleen weight. Also, birds fed diet containing krill meal 1.0% reduced the feed efficiency and increased spleen weight, and ME and NB or ME required for gain compared with those fed basal and krill meal 0.5% diets in LPS-injected chicks. During recovery period from the immunological stress in 3rd week of age, the krill meal diet reduced the weight of liver and spleen, The results showcd that dietary krill meal did not affect the growth of broiler chicks, but the higher uric acid excretion or dietary ME value indicated the increased protein decomposition or absorption of dietary energy sources in immune response activated birds.
Broiler;Lipopolysaccharide;LPS;Immune response;Krill meal;Nitrogen balance;Metabolizable energy;Uric acid
- Abbas, A. K., Lichtman, A. H. and Pober, J. S. 1997. Cytokines, Pages 257-277 in: Cellular and Molecular Immunology, W.B.Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA.
- Beisel, W. R. 1977. Metabolic and nutritional consequence of infection. Pages 125-143 in: Advances in Nutritional Research. H. H. Draper, ed. Voume 1. Plenum, New York. NY.
- Benson, B. N., Calvert, C. C., Roura, E. and Klasing, K. C. 1993. Dietary energy source and density modulate the expression of immunologic stress in chicks. J. Nutr, 123(10):1714-23.
- Berczi, I. 1998. Neurohormonal host defense in endotoxin shock. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 840:787-802.
- Cripps, G. and Atkinson, A. 1999. The fatty acid signature of carnivouous Antartic krill, Euphausia superba. Proceedings, The Second International Symposium on Krill, 23-27 August 1999, University of California, Santa Cruz.
Dascombe, M. J., Rothwell, N. J., Sagay, B. O. and Stock, M. J. 1989. Pyropgenic and thermogenic effects of interleukin-1
$\beta$in the rat. Am. J. Physiol. 256:E7-11.
- Dinarello, C. A. 1988. Biology of interleukin-1. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. J. 2:127-134.
- Flores, E. A., Bistrian, B. R., Pomposelli, J. J., Dinarello, C. A., Backburn, G. L. and. Istfan, N. W. 1989. Infusion of tumor necrosis factor/cachectin promotes muscle catabolism in the rat. J. Clin. Invest. 83:1614-1622. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI114059
- German, J. B., Lokesh, B. and Kinsella, J. E. 1988. The effect of dietary fish oils on eicosanoid biosynthesis in peritoneal macrophages is influenced by both dietary n-6 polysaturated fatty acids and total dietary fat. Prostaglandins Leukotriens Essential Fatty Acids 34:37-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0952-3278(88)90023-3
- Hill, F. W. and Anderson, D. L. 1958. Comparison of metabolizable energy and productive energy determinations with growing chicks. J. Nutr. 64:587-604.
- Jepson, M. M., Pell, J. M., Bates, P. C. and Millward, D. J. 1986. The effects of endotoxaemia on protein metabolism in skeletal muscle and liver of fed and fasted rats. Biochem. J. 235:329-336. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2350329
- Klasing, K. C. 1987. Influence of cell sources, stimulating agents, and incubation conditions on release of interleukin-1 from chicken macrophages. Develop. and Comp. Immunol., 11:385-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-305X(87)90082-6
- Klasing, K. C. 1998. Nutritional modulation of resistance to infectious diseases. Poultry Sci., 77:1119-1125. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.8.1119
- Klasing, K. C. and Barnes, D. M. 1988. Decreased amino acid requirements of growing chicks due to immunologic stress. J. Nutr. 118:1158-1164.
- Klssing, K. C. and Calvert, C. C. 2000. The care and feeding of an immune system;an analysis of lysine needs. In : Proceedings of the Ⅷth International Symposium on Protein Metabolism and Nutrition(Lobley, G. E., White, A., and MacRae, J. C. eds), Wageningen, Wageningen Press, pp. 253-264.
- Klasing, K. C. and Austic, R. E. 1984. Changes in protein degradation in chickens due to immunologic stress. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 176:292-296. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-176-41873
- Klasing, K. C. and Johnstone, B. J. 1991. Monokines in growth and development. Poultry Sci, 70:1781-1789. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0701781
- Klasing, K. C. and Korver, D. R. 1997. Leukocytic cytokines regulate growth rate and composition following activation of the immune system. J. Anim. Sci. 75(Supp l, 2):58-67p.
- Koh, T. S., Koo, U. S., Lim, J. T. and Lee, S. I. 2001. Squid liver oil modulate immunological stress in broiler chicks. Animal Resources Research Center, Konkuk University. vol 22. pp. 59-69.
- Koh, T. S., Peng, R. K. and Klasing, K. C. 1996. Dietary copper level affects copper metabolism during lipopolysaccharide-in-duced immunological stess in chicks. Poultry. Sci., 75(7):867-872. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0750867
- Koh, T. S., Joo, Y. D., .Woo, K. M., Choi, C. L. and Park, B. S. 1994. Concurrent bioassay of energy and protein utilization of protein sources in Layer. K. J. Poutry. Sci. 21(2):133-138.
- Korver, D. R. and Klasing, K. C. 1997. Dietary fish oil alters specific and imflammatory immune response in chicks. J. Nutr. 127:2039-2046.
- Marquardt, R. R. 1983. A simple spectrophotometric method for direct determination of uric acid in avian excreta. Poultry Sci. 62:2106-2108. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0622106
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 8th Ed. National Academy Press, Washineton, D.C.
- Roura, E., Homedes, J. and Klasing, K. C. 1992. Prevention of immunologic stress contributes to the growth-permitting ability of dietary antibiotics in chicks. J. Nutr. 122:2383-2390.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1990. SAS/STAT User’s Guide Version 6, Fourth ed. Volume 2, Cary NC: SAS Institute Inc., pp. 891.
- Xie, H., Rath, N. C., Huff, G. R., Huff, W. E. and Balog, J. M. 2000, Effects of Salmonella typhymurium lipopolysacchride on broiler chickens. Poultry Sci., 79:33-40.
- 고태송, 임진택, 박인경, 김재환. 2003. 살모넬라LPS로 자극한 육계의 면역반응과 생산성에 미치는 사료중 크릴 밀의 영향. Personal Communications.
- 박병석, 최철림, 장문주, 이기창, 이상락, 조남기, 고태송. 1995. 반자동 개방형간접 호흡시험장치의 제작 및 운영 체계의 표준화. 한국영양사료학회 95 학술발표회 P. 16