- Volume 45 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Xanthophylls Supplementation on Pigmentation and Antioxidant Properties in the Egg Yolks
Xanthophylls의 급여가 계란 노른자의 착색 및 항산화성에 미치는 영향
- Min, B.J. (Department of Food Science and Technology in Animal Resources, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, K.H. (Dept. of Animal Feed Science and Technology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, S.K. (Department of Food Science and Technology in Animal Resources, Kangwon National University)
- Published : 2003.10.31
This study was carried out to investigate the effects of dietary xanthophylls supplementation on pigmentation and antioxidant properties in the egg yolk. ISA Brown laying hens aged 50 weeks were fed five kinds of xanthophyll combination such as control(neither natural nor artificial xanthophylls in feed), T1(Commercial diet containing natural xanthopylls in grain + Lutein 10ppm + Capsantin 10ppm), T2(T1 + Capsanthin 65ppm), T3(T1 + Canthaxanthin 65ppm), T4(T1 + Capsanthin 10ppm + Canthaxanthin 65ppm), and T5(T1 + Capsanthin 65ppm + Canthaxanthin 10ppm). The pH values of all egg yolks were not significantly different during storage or feeding periods. CIE L
- Balnave, D. and Bird, J. N. 1996. Relative efficiencies of yellow carotenoids for egg yolk pigmentation. AJAS. 9:515.
- Bartov, I. and Bornstein, S. 1967. Studies on egg yolk pigmentation. Poult. Sci. 46: 797.
- Brambila, S. J., Pino, J. A. and Mendoza, C. 1963. Studies with a natural source of xanthophylls for the pigmentation of egg yolks and skin of poultry. Poult. Sci. 42:295.
- Burton, G. W. 1989. Antioxidant action of carotenoids. J. Nutr. 119:109.
- Clark, T. H., Faustman, C., Chan, W. K. M., Furr, H. C. and Riesen, J. W. 1999. Canthaxanthin as an antioxidant in a liposome model system and in minced patties from rainbow trout. J. Food. Sci. 64:982.
- El Boushy, A. R. and Raterink, R. 1987. Consumers prefer well oxy-carotenoids for egg yolk pigmentation. Proc. 4th European Symp. On quality of eggs and egg products, Doorwerth. The Netherlands. 269.
- Fletcher, D. L. and Halloran, H. R. 1981. An evaluation of a commercially available marigold concentrate and paprika oleoresin on egg yolk pigmentation. Poultry Sci. 60:1846.
- Franceschi, S., Bidoli, E., Vecchia, C., Talamini, R., D'Avanzo, B., and Negri, E. 1994. Tomatoes and risk of digestive-tract cancers. Int. J. Cancer. 59:181.
- Gaziano, J. M. and Hennekens, C. H. 1993. The role of beta-carotene in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. New York Acad. Sciences, 691:148.
- Landrum, J. T. and Bone, R. A. 2001. Lutein, zeaxanthin, and the macular pigment. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 385:28.
Mayne, S. T., Jannerich, D. Y., Greenwald, P., Chorost, S., Tucci, C., Zaman, M. B., Melamed, R., Kiely, M. and McKneally, M. E. 1994. Dietary
$\beta$-carotene and lung cancer risk in U.S. nonsmokers. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 86:33.
- McDonald, R. E. and Hultin, H. O. 1987. Some characteristics of the enzymic lipid peroxidation systems in microsomal fraction of flounder muscle. J. Food Sci. 52:15.
Murakoshi, M., Nishino, H., Satomi, Y., Takayasu, J., Hasegawa, Y., Tokuda, H., Iwashima, A., Okuzumi, J., Kitano, H. and Iwasaki, R. 1992. Potent preventive action of
$\alpha$-carotene than by $\beta$-carotene against carcinogenesis: spontaneous liver carcinogenesis and promoting stage of lung and skin carcinogenesis in mice are suppressed more effectively by $\alpha$-carotene than by $\beta$-carotene. Cancer Res. 52:6583.
- Schiedt, K., Weiser, H. and Weber, S. 1987. Retention, distribution and excretion of H3-labelled canthaxanthin in laying hens including egg yolk pigmentation. In, thesis for the doctor technicae degree, Norwegian Institute of Technology, University of Trondheim, Norway. 75.
- Seddon, J. M., Ajani, U. A., Sperduto, R. D., Hiller, R., Blair, N., Burton, T. C., Farber, M. D., Gragoudas, E. S., Haller, J., Miller, D. T., Yannuzzi, L. A. and Willett, W. C. 1994. Dietary carotenoids, viatmins A, C, and E, and advanced age-related macular degeneration. JAMA, 272:1413.
- Sikder, A. C., Chowdhury, S. D., Rashid, M. H., Sarker, A. K., and Das, S. C. 1998. Use of dried carrot meat (DCM) in laying hen diet for egg yolk pigmentation. AJAS. 11:239.
- Storebakken, T. and No, H. K. 1992. Pigmentation of rainbow trout. Aquaculture. 100:209.
- Strieff, K. 1970. The carotenoids and the colour of egg yolks and of poultry. Proc. of the Symp. on The Vitamins and the Carotenoids in Animals Nutrition. Cracow. Poland. 33.
- Yeum, K. J. 1996. Carotenoids: functions and recent research progress. J. Food Sci. Nutri. 1:256.
- Yeum, K. J., Taylor, A., Tang. G., and Russel, R. M. 1995. Measurement of carotenoids, retinoids and tocopherols in human lenses. Invest. Ophthamol. Visual Sci. 36:2756.
- Yin, M. C. and Faustman, C. 1993. Influence of temperature, pH, and phospholipid composition upon the stability of myoglobin and phospholipid: A liposome model. J. Agric. Food Chem. 41:853.
- Ziegler, R. 1991. Vegetables, fruits, and carotenoids and the risk of cancer. Am. J. Clin. Nutri., 53(suppl):251S.
- 남기홍. 2000. 양질의 계란 생산전략 Ⅱ. 계란내용물의 질, 콜레스테롤 함량, 난황색, 난중조절, 유기란. 한국가금학회지. 27:133.
- 이상호, 박철우, 박원석, 이영춘, 최의성, 하영래. 1997. Benxo[a]pyrene으로 유발한 mouse forestomach tumor 생성에 대한 astaxanthin 함유 난황의 효과. 한국농화학회지 40:490.