- Volume 45 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Association Study between Porcine LEPR-derived Microsatellite Polymorphisms and Economic Traits
돼지 leptin receptor내 초위성체 다형성과 경제형질과의 연관성 구명
- Choi, B.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Kim, T.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Cho, Y.M. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Lee, H.Y. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Jeon, J.T. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA Division of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Cheong, I.C. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA)
- 최봉환 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 김태헌 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 조용민 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 이혜영 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 전진태 (경상대학교 축산과학부) ;
- 정일정 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소)
- Published : 2003.10.31
The leptin receptor gene(LEPR) produces a high affinity receptor that mediates the regulation of the leptin gene. Leptin secreted from adipose tissue plays an important role in regulating feed intake and energy balance. In this study, a microsatellite marker within LEPR was selected and genotyped for the F2 population composed of 354 individuals from an intercross between Korean Native boars and Landrace sows. Totally, six alleles (255, 259, 261, 263, 265 and 267bp) and nineteen genotypes were detected in the population, of which the CE (261/265), CC (261/261) and EE (265/265) types were observed by 20.0%, 10.1% and 9.6%, respectively. Relationships between their genotypes and economic traits were analyzed. We found specific genotypes associated with economic traits such as body weight at 12 weeks of age/body fat including abdominal and trimmed fat/shear force (P〈0.001), body weight of 30 weeks of age (P〈0.01) and body weight of 3 weeks of age/back fat thickness (P〈0.05). The DD (263/263) and DF (263/267) types were associated with body weight at 3, 5, 12 and 30 weeks of age. The DF (263/267) type showed a highly significant effect on back fat thickness and body fat including abdominal and trimmed fat. The DF (263/267) type showed positive effect on shear force, whereas the BB (259/259) and DD (263/263) types negatively affected on tenderness.
Leptin receptor;Microsatellite;Korean Native Pig;Genotype;Economic traits
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Baratta, M., Saleri, R., Mainardi, G. L., Valle, D., Giustina, A. and Tamanini, C. 2002. Leptin regulates GH gene exprission and secretion and nitric oxide production in pig pituitary cells. Endocrinology 143:551-7.
- Barb, C. R., Yan, X., Azain M. J., Kraeling, R. R., Rampacek, G. B. and Ramsay, T. G. 1998. Recombinant porcine leptin reduces feed intake and stimulates growth hormone secretion in swine. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol 15:77-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(97)00064-7
- Cameron, N. D. 1990. Comparison of Duroc and British Landrace pigs and the estimation of genetic and phenotypic parameters for growth and carcass traits. Animal Production 50:141.
- Candek-Potokar, M., Lefaucheur, L., Zlender, B. and Bonneau, M. 1998. Effect of slaughter weight and/or age on histological characteristics of pig longissimus dorsi muscle and related to meat quality. Meat science 52:195-203.
- Chen, G., Koyama, K., Yuan, X. Lee, Y., Zhou, Y. T., O'Doherty, R., Newgard, C. B. and Unger, R. H. 1996. Disappearance of body fat in normal rats induced by adenovirus-mediated leptin gene therapy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA. 93:14795-14799. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.93.25.14795
- Clement, K., Vaisse, C., Lahlou, N., Cabrol, S., Pelloux, V., Cassuto, D., Gourmelen, M., Dina, C., Chambaz, J, Lacorte, J. M., Basdevant, A., Bougnes, P., Lebouc, Y., Froguel, P. and Guy-Grand, B. 1998. A mutation in the human leptin receptor gene causes obesity and pituitary dysfunction. Nature392:398-401.
- Devol, D. L., Mckeith, F. K., Bechtel, R. S., Novakofski. J., Shanks. R. D. and Carr, T. R. 1988. Variation in composition and palatability traits and relationships between muscle characteristics and palatability in a random sample of pork carcasses. Journal of Animal Science 66:385..
- Dodgson, J. B., Cheng, H. H. and Okimoto, R. 1997. DNA marker technology: a revolution in animal genetics. Poul Sci 76:1108-1114.
- Emnett, R., Moeller, S., Irvin, K., Rothschild, M., Plastow, G. and Goodwin, R. 2000. An Investigation into the genetic controls of pork quality. NSIF Proceedings.
- Hovenier, R., Kanis, E., Van Asselodonk, T. H. and Westerink, N. G. 1992. Genetic parameters of pig meat quality traits in a halothane negative population. Livest Prod Sci 32, 306-321.
- Lacroix, D. A., Gevry, N. Y., Ruiz-Cortes, Z. T. and Murphy, B. D. 2000. Partial sequence of porcine leptin receptor intron 3. NCBI, AF184172.
- Lin, J., Barb, C. R., Kraeling, R. R. and Rampaek, G. B. 2003. Growth hormone releasing factor decreases long form leptin receptor expression in porcine anterior pituitary cells. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 24:95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(02)00209-6
- Litt, M. and Luty, J. A. 1989. A hypervariable microsatellite revealed by in vitro amplification of a dinucleotide repeat within the cardiac muscle actin gene. Am J Hum Genet 44:397-401.
- Ovilo, C., Oliver, A., Moguera, J. L., Clop, A., Barragan, C., Varona, L., Rodriguez C., Toro, M., Sanchez, A., Perezi-Enciso, M. and Silio, L. 2002. Test for positional candidate genes for body composition on pig chromosome 6. Genet. Sel. Evol. 34:465-479.
- Rafalski, J. A. and Tingey, S. V. 1993. Genetic diagnostics in plant breeding: RAPDs, microsatellites and machines. Trends Genet. 9:275-280.
- Ramsay, G., Yan, X. and Morrison, C. 1998. The Obesity Gene in Swine: Sequence and Expression of Porcine Leptin. J. Anim. Sci. 76:484-490.
- Reichart, U., Renner-Muller, I., Hoflich, A., Oliver J., Muller, Wolfgang, M. F., Wolf, E., Muller, M., Brem, G. and Aigner, B. 2000. Contrasting Obesity Phenotypes Uncovered by Partial Leptin Receptor Gene Deletion in Transgenic Mice. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 269;502-507.
- Roh, S. G., Nie, G. Y., Loneragan, K., Gertler, A. and Chen, C. 2001. Direct modification of somatotrope function by long-term leptin treatment of primary cultured ovine pituitary cells. Endocrinology 142:5167-71.
- Shaw, G. M., Barber, R., Todoroff, K., Lammer, E. J. and Finnell, R. H. 2000. Microsatellites proximal to leptin and leptin receptor as risk factors for spina bifida. Teratology vol. 61:231-235. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9926(200003)61:3<231::AID-TERA11>3.0.CO;2-L
- Tartaglia, L. A., Dembski, M., Weng, X., Deng, N., Culpepper, J., devos, R., Richards, G. J., Campfield, L. A., Clark, F. T. and Deeds, H., 1995. Identificaiton and expression cloning of a leptin receptor, OB-R. Cell 83, 1263-1271.
- Tauz, D. 1989. Hypervariability of simple sequences as a general source for polymorpic DNA markers. Nucleic Acids Research 17:6463-6471.
- Vincent, A. L., Wang, L. and Rothchild, M. F. 1997. A restriction fragment length polymorphism in the porcine leptin receptor(LEPR) gene. Journal of Animal Science. 75:2287.
- Weber, J. L. and May, P. E. 1989. Abundant class of human DNA polymorphisms which can be typed using the polymerase chain reaction. Am J Hum Genet 44:388-396.
- Zhang, Y., Proenca, R., Maffei, M., Barone, M., Leopold, L. and Friedman, J. M. 1994. Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature 372: 425-432. https://doi.org/10.1038/372425a0
- Zhang, Y., Olbort, M. Schwarzer, K., Nuesslein-Hildesheim, B., Nicolson, M. Murphy, E., Timothy, J. K., Schmidt, I. and Rudolph, L. L. 1997. The Leptin Receptor Mediates Apparent Autocrine Regulation of Leptin Gene Expression. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 240:492-495. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1997.7622
- 서강석, 김성훈, 박영일. 1996. 다형질 애니멀 모델에 의한 돼지 경제형질의 유전모수 추정. 한국축산학회지, 38(3):181-186.
- 이종문, 박범영, 유영모, 김동훈, 채현석, 안종남, 정석근, 조낙현, 김용곤, 조병림, 윤정철, 김홍원, 정종원, 조만용, 고경철, 이무화, 이인형. 1997. 소 돼지 도체수율 및 육질특성. p119.
- 이학교, 전광주. 2002. 돼지의 QTL 검색을 위한 유의적 임계수준(Threshold) 결정. 한국동물자원학회지, 44(1):31-38.
- Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the leptin gene with carcass and meat quality traits of beef cattle1 vol.83, pp.9, 2005, https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8392009x