- Volume 45 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Sequence and Expression Analysis of c-fos Proto-oncogene in Korean Cattle (HANWOO)
한우 c-fos 유전자의 염기서열 및 발현분석
- Yu, S.L. (Division of Animal Science and Resources) ;
- Chung, H.J. (Division of Animal Science and Resources) ;
- Jung, K.C. (Division of Animal Science and Resources) ;
- Lee, J.H. (Division of Animal Science and Resources) ;
- Cho, K.W. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, J.G. (Daekwanryong Branch, National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A.) ;
- Na, K.J. (Daekwanryong Branch, National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A.) ;
- Sang, B.C. (Division of Animal Science and Resources)
- 유성란 (충남대학교 동물자원학부) ;
- 정행진 (충남대학교 동물자원학부) ;
- 정기철 (충남대학교 동물자원학부) ;
- 이준헌 (충남대학교 동물자원학부) ;
- 조규완 (수의학과) ;
- 최재관 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 나기준 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 상병찬 (충남대학교 동물자원학부)
- Published : 2003.12.31
Cellular FOS(c-fos) protein is a transcription factor that forms heterodimers mostly with c-jun family and stimulates the transcription of genes containing AP-1 regulatory elements. This c-fos expression can control growth and differentiation of various precursor cells including myoblasts. The controls by c-fos gene have been identified for affecting skeletal muscle fiber traits which are the key determinants of meat quality in pigs. As a first step for identifying the relationship between c-fos gene and meat quality traits in cattle, we fully sequenced 1,443 bp of Hanwoo c-fos mRNA and analyzed expression patterns from various organs and muscle tissues. The sequence identities of Hanwoo c-fos with that of human, pig and mouse showed 89.8%, 93.3% and 87%, respectively. Analyses of the northern blot showed high c-fos expressions were obtained in spleen and rib muscle from 7 organs and 9 different parts of muscles investigated. These results presented here can be used as a valuable marker for meat quality related traits in cattle with further verification.
Bovine;c-fos;Sequence homology;Expression pattern;Meat quality
- Finkel, M. P., Biskis, B. O. and Jinkins, P. B. 1966. Virus induction of osteosarcomas in mice. Science 11;151(711):698-701.
- Glover, J. N. M. and Harrison, S. C. 1995. Crystal structure of the heterodimeric bZIP transcription factor c-Fos-c-Jun bound to DNA. Nature 373(6511):257-261. https://doi.org/10.1038/373257a0
- Grigoriadis, A. E., Wang, Z. Q. and Wagner, E. F. 1995. Fos and bone cell development: lessons from a nuclear oncogene. Trends. Genet. 11(11):436-441.
- Johnson, R. S., Spiegelman, B. M. and Papaioannou, V. 1992. Pleiotropic effects of a null mutation in the c-fos proto-oncogene. Cell 71(4):577-586.
- Korneva, E. A., Barabanova, S. V., Golovko, O. I., Nosov, M. A., Novikova, N. S. and Kazakova, T. B. 2000. C-fos and IL-2 gene expression in rat brain cells and splenic lymphocytes after nonantigenic and antigenic stimuli. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 917:197-209. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2000.tb05384.x
- Lehtinen, S. K., Rahkila, P., Helenius, M., Korhonen, P. and Salminen, A. 1996. Down-Regulation of Transcription Factors AP-1, Sp-1, and NF-B Precedes Myocyte Differentiation. Biochem. Biophsi. Res. Communi. 299(1):36-43.
- Reiner, G., Heinricy, L., Brenig, B., Geldermann, H. and Dzapo, V. 2000. Cloning, structural organization, and chromosomal assignment of the porcine c-fos proto-oncogene, FOS. Cytogenet. Cell. Genet. 89(1-2):59-61.
- Reiner. G., Heinricy. L., Muller. E., Geldermann, H. and Dzapo, V. 2002. Indications of associations of the porcine FOS proto-oncogene with skeletal muscle fibre traits. Anim. Genet. 33(1):49-55.
- Trouche, D., Masutani, H., Groisman, R. and Robin, P., Lenormand, J. L. and Annick, H. B. 1995. Myogenin binds to and represses c-fos promoter. FEBS Letters 361(2):140-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(95)00140-5
- Van Straaten, F., Muller, R., Curran, T., Van Beveren, C. and Verma, I. M. 1983. Complete nucleotide sequence of a human c-onc gene: deduced amino acid sequence of the human c-fos protein. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 80(11):3183-3187. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.80.11.3183
- Wang, Z. Q., Grigoriadis, A. E., Mohle-Steinlein, U. and Wagner, E. F. 1991. A novel target cell for c-fos-induced oncogenesis:development of chon-drogenic tumours in embryonic stem cell chimeras. EMBO J. 10(9):2437-2450.
- Wang, Z. Q., Ovitt, C., Grigoriadis, A. E., Mohle-Steinlein, U., Ruther, U. and Wanger, E. F. 1992. Bone and haematopoietic defects in mice lacking c-fos. Nature 360(6406):741-745. https://doi.org/10.1038/360741a0
- Zhang, H., Hu, P., Wen, X. L. and Huang, B. 1999. The effect of simulated weightlessness on the function of spleen lymphocytes and the expression of c-fos proto-oncogene in tail-suspended mice. Space. Med. Med. Eng. (Beijing). 12(6):423-425.
- Zhang, J., Zhang, D., McQuade, J. S., Behbehani, M., Tsien, J. Z. and Xu, X. 2002. c-fos regulates neuronal excitability and survival. Nat. Genet. 30(4):416-420.