- Volume 45 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Influence of Genetic Background on Porcine Stress Syndrome Incidence and Pork Quality Attributes
품종이 Porcine Stress Syndrome 돼지 출현비율 및 육질에 미치는 영향
- Kim, D.H. (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Kim, T.H. (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Y.C. (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, J.R. (Gyeongnam Province Advanced Swine Research Institute) ;
- Choi, J.S . (National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, M. (Department of Animal Science & Technology Seoul National University)
- Published : 2003.10.31
Landrace(L), Largewhite(Lw), Korean Native Pig(KNP) and commercial hybrid were experimented to determine holothane sensitivity, RYR gene mutation and quality profiles. In the results of halothane test, the incidence of halothane positive pigs was similar between L and Lw. But, the rate of dubious halothane positive type was higher in L than Lw. In hal-gene analysis, halothane-positive pigs(nn) were not found in any tested breed and heterotype(Nn) appeared only in one pig of L. Of the breed effect on the quality profiles, there were no differences in pH
- Bendall, J. R. and Lawrie, R. A. 1964. Watery pork. Anim. Breed. Abst. 32:1-8.
- Briskey, E. J. 1964. Etiological status and associated studies of pale soft exudative porcine musculature. Adv. Food Res. 13:89-178.
- Briskey, E. J. and Lister, D. 1968. Influence of stress syndrome on chemical and physical characteristics of muscle post mortem. In: The pork industry: Problems and Progess. pp.177-186.
- Heinze, P. H. and Mitchell, G. 1991. A comparison of some muscle metabolites in stress susceptible and resistant landrace gilts after halothane exposure or exercise stress. Meat Sci. 30:337.
- Joo, S. T., Kauffman, R. G., Kim, B. C. and Kim, C. J. 1995. The relationship between color and water-holding capacity in post-rigor porcine longissimus muscle. J. Muscle Food. 6:211.
- Kallweit, E. 1985. Selection for stress resistance in pigs in various West- European countries. In: Strsss Susceptibility and Meat Quality in Pigs, ed. P.V.J.B. Ludvigsen, P.V.J.B.(ed), EaAAP Publication, No.3:60-67.
- Klont, R. E., Lambooy, E. and van Logtestijn, J. G. 1993. Effect of preslaughter anesthesia on muscle metabolism and meat quality of pigs of different halothane genotypes. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1477.
- Mclaren, D. G., Schultz, C. M. 1992. Genetic selection to improve the quality and composition of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 66:385.
- Oliver, M. A., Gispert, M. M.and Diestre, A. 1993. The effects of breed and halothane sensitivity on pig meat quality. Meat Sci. 35:105.
- Pommier, S. A. and Houde, A. 1993. Effect of the genotype for malignant hyperthermia as determined by a restriction endonuclease assay on the quality characteristics of commercial pork loins. J. Anim. Sci. 71:420-425.
- Park, Y. I, Han, J. Y., Lee, S. C., Lee, I. J., Park, T. S., Lee, K. Y., Shin, Y. S., LEE, H. K., Kim, H. K., Oh, H. S. and Son, C. J. 1998. Effect of Porcine stress syndrome genotype on economic traits in swine. Animal Genetics and Breeding 2(1):21-26.
- Rempel, W. E., Lu, M., Kandelgy, D. E., Kennedy, C. F. H., Irvin, L. R., Mickelson, J. R. and Louis, D. F. 1995. The effect of skeletal muscle ryanodine receptor genotype on pig performance and carcass quality traits. Animal Science 60:249.
- Sambrook, F. and Maniatis. 1989. Molecular cloning. A laboratory manual second edition. pp.9.14-23.
- Sellier, P. 1987. Cross-breeding and meat quality in pigs. In Evaluation and Control of Meat Quality in pigs. Monin, Tarrant, eds. P. V., Eikelenboom, G., Monin, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Dordecht, The Netherlands, pp.329-342.
- Swatland, H. J. 1987. Remote monitoring of postmortem metabolism in pork carcasses. in Evaluation and Control of Meat Quality in Pigs, eds. P. V. -Tarrant, G. Eikelenboom and G. Monin, Martinus Nijhoff, Dordrecht. pp.143-163.
- van Laack, R. L. J. M., Kauffman, R. G., Sybesma, W., Smulders, F. J. M., Eikeleboom, G. and Pinheiro, J. C. 1994. Is color brightness(L-value) a reliable indicator of water-holding capacity in porcine muscle?. Meat Sci. 38:193.
- Warner, R. D., Kauffman, R. G. and Greaser, M. L. 1997. Muscle protein changes post mortem in realtion to Pork quality traits, Meat Sci. 45:339.
- Webb, A. J., Carden, A. E., Smith, C. and Imlah, P. 1982. Porcine stress syndrome in pig breeding. Proc. 2nd World Congr. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod., Madrid, 5:588-608.
- Webb, A. J., Imlah, P. and Carden, A. E. 1986. Succinylcholine and Halothane as a field test for heterogygote at the halothane locus in pigs. Anim. Prod. 42:274.