- Volume 45 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Gestation Housing and Parity on the Farrowing Performance and Behaviour of Sows during the Pregnancy, Farrowing and Lactation
임신돈의 수용형태와 산차가 임신, 분만 및 비유기간 중 모돈의 행동과 분만성적에 미치는 영향
- Kim, D.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, RAIRC, Jinju National University) ;
- Park , J.Y. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, RAIRC, Jinju National University) ;
- Woo, J.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, RAIRC, Jinju National University)
- 김두환 (진주산업대학교 대학원 동물자원학과, 동물생명산업 지역협력연구센터) ;
- 박종렬 (진주산업대학교 대학원 동물자원학과, 동물생명산업 지역협력연구센터) ;
- 우종화 (진주산업대학교 대학원 동물자원학과, 동물생명산업 지역협력연구센터)
- Published : 2003.12.31
This study was designed to determine the effect of gestation housing and parity on the farrowing performance and behaviour of sows during pregnancy, farrowing and lactation periods. Total 18 Duroc sows were randomly assigned after 4 weeks of gestation to either an individual gestation stall or a groups of three with pen gestation system for three parities(1st, 2nd
Gestation housing;Parity;Sows;Welfare;Behaviour;Farrowing performance
- Anil, L., Anil, S. S. and Deen, J. 2002. Relationship between postural behaviour and gestation stall dimensions in relation to sow size. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 77:173-181.
- Appleyard, S. J. and Lawrence A. B. 2001. The farrowing crate limits the effectiveness of functional sows maternal behaviour. In: Garner, J. P., Mench, J. A., Heekin, S. P.(Eds.), Proceedings of the International Society for Applied Ethology. University of California, Davis, p. 195
- Barnett, J. L., Winfield, C. G., Cronin, G. M., Hemsworth, P. H. and Dewar, A. M. 1985. The effect of individual and group housing on behavioural and physiological responses related to the welfare of pregnant pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci., 14:149-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(85)90026-7
- Beattie, V. E., Walker, N. and Sneddon, I. A. 1995. Effect of rearing environment and change of environment on the behaviour of gilts. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 46:57-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(96)81084-7
- Boyle, L. A., Leonard, F. C., Lynch, P. B. and Brophy, P. 2002. Effect of gestation housing on behaviour and skin lesions of sows in farrowing crates. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 76:119-134.
- Boyle, L. A., Leonard, F. C., Lynch, P. B. and Brophy, P. 2000. Influence of housing system during gestation on the behaviour and welfare of gilts in farrowing crates. Anim. Sci. 71:561-570.
- Caroline, V. T., Pape, G. Le. and Signoret, J. P. 1995. Stereotypies in pregnant sows: indications of influence of the housing system on the patterns expressed by the animals. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 44:19-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(95)00574-C
- Cronin, G. M., Barnett, J. L., Hodge, F. M., Smith, J. A. and McCallum, T. H. 1991. The welfare of pigs in two farrowing/lactation environments; cortisol responses of sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 32:117-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(05)80036-X
- Cronin, G. M., Simpson, G. J. and Hemsworth, P. H. 1996. The effects of the gestation and farrowing environments on sow and piglet behaviour and piglet survival and growth in early lactation. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 46:175-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(95)00657-5
- DePassille, A.M.B. and Robert, S. 1989. Behaviour of lactating sows: influence of stage of lactation and husbandry practices at weaning. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 23:315-329.
- Ferket, S. L. and Hacker, R. R. 1985. Effect of forced exercise during gestation on reproductive performance of sows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 65:851-859. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas85-100
- Fraser, D. 1975. The effect of straw on the behaviour of sows in tether stalls. Anim. Prod. 21:59-68.
- Gotz, M. 1991. Changes in nursing and suckling behaviour of sows and their piglets in farrowing crates. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 31:271-275.
- Harris, M. J. and Gonyou, H. W. 1998. Increasing available space in a farrowing crate does not facilitate postural changes or maternal responses in gilts. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 59:285-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(98)00142-7
- Hemsworth, P. H. 1982. Social environment and reproduction. In: Cole, D.J.A. and Foxcroft, G. R.(Eds.), Control of pig production. Butterworth, London, pp 585-601.
- Jarvis, S., van der Vegt, B. J., Lawrence, A. B., McLean, K. A., Calvert, S. K., Deans, L. A. and Chirnside, J. 1998. The effect of parity on the behavioural and physiological responses of parturient pigs to the farrowing environment. In: Veissier, I. and Boissy, A.(Eds.), Proceedings of the International Congress on Applied Ethlogy. Clermont-Ferrand, France, 129.
- Jensen, P. 1988. Maternal behaviour and mother-young interactions during lactation in free-ranging domestic pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 20:297-308.
- Jensen, P. and Redbo, I. 1987. Behaviour during nest leaving in free-ranging domestic pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 18:355-362.
- Lawrence, A. B., Petherick, J. C., McLean, K. A., Deans, L. A., Chirnside, J., Vaughan, A., Clutton, E. and Terlouw, E.M.C. 1994. The effect of environment on behaviour, plasma cortisol and prolactin in parturient sows, Appl. Anim Behav. Sci. 39:313-330.
- Lynch, P. B., O'Grady, J. F. and Kearney, P. A. 1984. Effect of housing systen on sow productivity. Ann, Rech. Vet. 15:181-184.
- Marchant, J. N. and Broom, D. M. 1996. Factors affecting posture changing in loose-housed and confined gestating sows. Anim. Sci. 63:477-485. https://doi.org/10.1017/S135772980001537X
- Marchant, J. N., Broom, D. M. and Corning, S. 2001. The influence of sow behaviour on piglet mortality due to crushing in an open farrowing system. Anim. Sci. 72:19-28.
- Noldus Information Technology. 1993. The observer, Base Package for DOS. Reference manual, Ver. 3.0. Noldus Information Technology, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Noldus Information Technology. 1994. The observer, Support Package for Psion Organisere. User's manual, Ver. 3.0. Noldus Information Technology, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Rushen, J. P. 1985. Stereotypies, aggression and the feeding schedules of tethered sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 14:137-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(85)90025-5
- SAS. 1998. User's guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schouten, W. and Rushen, J. 1992. Effects of naloxone on stereotypic and normal behaviour of tethered and loose-housed sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 33:17-26.
- Stolba, A., Baker, N. and Wood-Guch, D. G. M. 1983. The characterization of stereotyped behaviour in stalled sows by information redundancy. Behaviour. 87:157-182.
- Taylor, L., Friend, T. and Smith, L. A. 1988. Effects of housing on in situ postures of gestating gilts. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 19:265-272.
- Terlouw, C. E. M., Lawrenec, A. B. and Illius, A. W. 1991. Influences of feeding level and physical restriction on development of stereotypies in sow. Anim. Behav. 42:981-991. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(05)80151-4
- Thodberg, K., Jensen, K. H., Herskin, M. S. and Jorgensen, E. 1999. Influence of environmental stimuli on nest building and farrowing behaviour in domestic sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 63:131-144.