- Volume 45 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Molasses Addition and(or) Pelleting on Nutritional Characteristics of Broiler Litter Processed by Ensiling or Deepstacking and Palatability Improvement by 'Hanwoo' During the Adjustment Period
육계분 혐기 또는 퇴적 발효 사료 제조 시 당밀 첨가 및 펠렛화가 사료영양적 가치 및 사료 적응기의 한우 기호성 개선에 미치는 영향
- Kwak, W. S. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Science, College of Natural Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, J. M. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Science, College of Natural Sciences, Konkuk University)
- Published : 2003.02.28
This study was conducted in order to determine a proper level of molasses addition through the analysis of changes in appearance, nutritive and silage parameters before and after ensiling or deepstacking of broiler litter, to evaluate the effect of pelleting processed broiler litter and to develop methods to enhance palatability of broiler litter and reduce the adjustment period by ‘Hanwoo’ steers. Molasses addition was effective in ensiling and deepstacking of broiler litter and the proper addition level was about 5%. Changes in nutritive values of broiler litter by ensiling and deepstacking with or without molasses treatment were not great. Adding 5% molasses at deepstacking of broiler litter did not affect(P<0.05) in vitro digestion of dry matter and organic matter. Pelleting of broiler litter resulted in significant(P<0.05) moisture evaporation, organic matter reduction and nearly threefold increase of bulk density. Pelleting or molasses addition of broiler litter improved palatability by ‘Hanwoo’ steers and reduced the adjustment period by half(8-9 d).
- Abdelmawla, S. M., Fontenot, J. P. and El-Ashry, M. A. 1988. Composted, deepstacked, and ensiled broiler litter in sheep diets: Chemical composition and nutritive value study. Va. Polytech. Inst. & State Univ. Anim. Sci. Res. Rep. No. 7:127-132.
- Anderson, S. J., Merrill, J. K., McDonnell, M. L. and Klopfenstein, T. J. 1988. Digestibility and utilization of mechanically processed soybean hulls by lambs and steers. J. Anim. Sci. 66:2965-2976. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.66112965x
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D. C.
- Barker, S. B. and Summerson, W. H. 1941. The colorimetric determination of lactic acid in bio- logical material. J. Biol. Chem. 138:535.
- Brosh, A., Holzer, Z. and Aharoni, Y. 1993. The effect of maize grain supplementation of diets based on wheat straw and poultry litter on their utilization by beef cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 40:165-175.
- Brown, W. F. 1993. Cane molasses and cottonseed meal supplementation of ammoniated tropical grass hay for yearling cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3451-3457. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71123451x
- Caswell, L. F., Fontenot, J. P. and Webb, K. E. Jr. 1978. Fermentation and utilization of broiler litter ensiled at different moisture levels. J. Anim. Sci. 46:547-561.
- Chester-Jones, H. and Fontenot, J. P. 1981. Growing cattle fed differing levels of ensiled and deepstacked broiler litter. Va. Agric. Exp. Sta. Anim. Sci. Res. Rep. No. 1:178-182.
- Coleman, S. W., Neri-Flores, O., Allen, R. J. Jr., and Moore, J. E. 1978. Effect of pelleting and of forage maturity on quality of two sub-tropical forage grasses. J. Anim. Sci. 46(4):1103-1112. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4641103x
- El-Yassin, F. A., Fontenot, J. P. and Chester- Jones, H. 1991. Fermentation characteristics and nutritional value of ruminal contents and blood ensiled with untreated or sodium hydroxide-treated wheat straw. J. Anim. Sci. 69:1751-1759.
- Fonnesbeck, P. V., Christiansen, J. L. and Harris, L. E. 1981. Factors affecting digestibility of nutrients by sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 52(2):363-376. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.522363x
- Fontenot, J. P. and Jurubescu, V. 1980. Processing of animal waste by feeding to ruminants. In: Y. Ruckebusch and P. Thivend(Editors), Digestive Physiology and Metabolism in Ruminants. AVI, Westport, CT, pp. 641-662.
- Heinemann, W. W. and Hanks, E. M. 1977. Cane molasses in cattle finishing rations. J. Anim. Sci. 45(1): 13-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1977.45113x
- Lindahl, I. L. and Reynolds, P. J. 1959. Effect of pelleting on the chemical composition and digestibility of alfalfa meal. 18(3):1074-1079.
- Lindahl, I. L. and Terrill, C. E. 1963. Use of pelleted roughage in the feeding regime for breeding sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 22(4):953-955. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1963.224953x
- Marshall, S. A.. Campbell, C. P., Mandell, I. B. and Wilton, J. W. 1992. Effect, of source and level of dietary neutral detergent fiber on feed intake, ruminal fermentation, ruminal digestion in situ, and total tract digestion in beef cattle fed pelleted concentrations with or without supplemental roughage. J. Anim. Sci. 70:884-893. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.703884x
- Martin, L. C. Ammerman, C. B., Henry, P. R. and Loggins, P. E. 1981. Effect of level and form of supplemental energy and nitrogen on utilization of low quality roughage by sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 53(2):479-488. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.532479x
- Meyer, J. H., Gaskill, R. L., Stoewsand, G. S. and Weir, W. C. 1959. Influence of pelleting on the utilization of alfalfa. J. Anim. Sci. 18(1): 336-346. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1959.181336x
- Park, K. K., Goetsch, A. L., Patil, A. R., Kouakou, B., Galloway, D. L. Sr and Johnson, Z. B. 1997. Addition of carbonaceous feedstuffs to broiler litter before deep-stacking. Bioresource Technology 59:9-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(96)00128-9
- Patil, A. R., Goetsch, A. L., Galloway, D. L. and Forster, L. A. 1993. Intake and digestion by Holstein steer calves consuming grass hay supplemented with broiler litter. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 44:251-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90051-K
- Petersen, M. K., Thomas, V. M. and Romer, R. E. 1981. Reconstituted Kentucky bluegrass straw. I. ensiled with molasses and sodium or calcium hydroxides. J. Anim. Sci. 52(2):398-405. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.522398x
- Ruffin, B. G. and McCaskey, T. A. 1990a. Broiler liner can serve as a feed ingredient for beef cattle. Feedstuffs 62(15): 13-17
- Ruffin, B. G. and McCaskey, T. A. 1990b. Feeding broiler litter to beef cattle. Agriculture and Natural Resources Timely Information. Alabama Cooperative Extension Service Circular ANR557, Auburn University, AL, USA.
- Statistix7. 2000. User's Manual. Analytical Software, Tallahassee, FL, USA. 25. Tilley, J. M. A. and Terry, R. A. 1963. A two stage technique for the in vitro digestion of forage crops. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 18:104.
- Umana, R., Staples, C. R., Bates, D. B., Wilcox, C. J. and Mahanna, W. C. 1991. Effects of a microbial inoculant and(or) sugarcane molasses on the fermentation, aerobic stability, and digestibility of bermudagrass ensiled at two moisture contents. .J. Anim, Sci. 69:4588-4601. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.69114588x
- Van. Soest, P. J., Robertson, J. B. and Lewis, B. A. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides In relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583.
- 곽완섭, 박종문. 1999. 사료용 산별 육계분의 혐기발효시 보리 부산물 첨가가 발효물의 물리.화학적 및 발효 성상에 미치는 영향. 한국낙농학회지 21(4):263-268.
- 곽완섭, 김창원, 원병수. 2001. 젖소 미경산우용고수분 완전혼합사료에 있어서 육계분의 밀기울 및 맥강 대체 효과. 한국동물자원과학회지 43(3): 361-368.
- Effects of Fermented Fecal Solid Diets on Growth of the Sea Cucumber Apostichopus japonicus vol.49, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0161