- Volume 45 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Growth Curve Parameters of Hanwoo Cows
한우 암소의 성장곡선 모수에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Lee, C.W. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A) ;
- Choi, J.G. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A) ;
- Jeon, K.J. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A) ;
- Na, K.J. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A) ;
- Lee, C. (Ilsong Institute of Life Science, Hallym University) ;
- Hwang, J.M. (Division of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, J.B. (Division of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Resources Science, Kangwon National University)
- 이창우 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 최재관 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 전기준 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 나기준 (농촌진흥청 축산기술연구소) ;
- 이채영 (한림대학교 일송생명과학연구소) ;
- 황정미 (강원대학교 동물자원과학대학 동물자원학부) ;
- 김종복 (강원대학교 동물자원과학대학 동물자원학부)
- Published : 2003.10.31
Some growth curve models were used to fit individual growth of 1,083 Hanwoo cows born from 1970 to 2001 in Daekwanryeong branch, National Livestock Research Institute(NLRI). The effects of year-season of birth and age of dam were analyzed. In analysis of variance for growth curve parameters, the effects of birth year-season were significant for mature weight(A), growth ratio(b) and maturing rate(k)(P〈.01). The effects of age of dam were significant for growth ratio(b) but not significant for mature weight(A) and maturing rate(k). The linear term of the covariate of age at the final weights was significant for the A(P〈.01) and k(P〈.01) of Gompertz model, von Bertalanffy model and Logistic model. For the growth curve parameters fitted on individual data using Gompertz model, von Bertalanffy model and Logistic model, resulting the linear contrasts(fall-spring), Least square means of A in three nonlinear models were higher cows born at fall and A of Logistic model was significant(P〈.05) between the seasons. According to the results of the least square means of growth curve parameters by age of dam, least square means of mature weight(A) in Gompertz model was largest in 6 year and smallest estimating for 3 and 8 years of age of dam. The growth ratio(b) was largest in 2 year of age of dam and smallest estimating in 8 year. The A and k were not different by age of dam(p〉.05), On the other hand, the b was different by age of dam(p〈.01). The estimate of A in von Bertalanffy model was largest in 6 year and smallest in 8 and 9 years of age of dam. The b was largest in 2 year and tend to decline as age of dam increased. The A and k were not different by age of dam(p〉.05), On the other hand, the b was highly significant by age of dam(p〈.01).
Hanwoo;Cow;Growth curve;Environmental factors
- Brown, J. E., Brownm, C. J. and Butts, W. T. 1972. A discussion of the genetic aspect of weight, mature weight and rate of maturing in Hereford and Angus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 34:525-537. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.344525x
- Harvey, W. R. 1960. Least squares analysis of data with unequal subclass numbers. USDA, ARS 20-8.
- Jenkins, T. G., Kaps, M., Cundiff, L. V. and Ferrell, C. L. 1991. Evaluation of between and within-breed variation in measures of weight-age relationships. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3118-3128. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6983118x
- López de Torre, G. and Rankin, B. J. 1978. Factors affecting growth curve parameters of Hereford and Brangus cows. J. Anim. Sci. 46:604-613. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.463604x
- Morrow, R. E., McLaren, J. B. and Butts, W. T. 1978. Effect of age on estimates of bovine growth curve parameters. J. Anim. Sci. 42:352-357.
- Nelder. J. A. 1961. The fitting of a generalization of the logistic curve. Biometrics 17:89-100.
- SAS. 1990. SAS/STAT User's guide Vol. 2. SAS institute Inc., Cary, NC., USA.
- Von Bertalanffy, L. 1957. Quantitative laws in metabolism and growth. Quart. Rev. Biol. 32:217.
- Winsor, C. R. 1932. The Gompertz curve as a growth curve. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 18:1.
- 조용민. 2000. 한우의 성장곡선모수 추정 및 경제형질과의 상관관계에 관한 연구. 서울대학교. 박사학위논문.