- Volume 39 Issue 2
Experimental fishing was carried out to investigate the survival rate of fishes discarded after hauling from the trawl and to develop the fishing gear and method for fisheries management which can improve the survival rate of young fishes escaped from the trawl codend in offshore korean southern sea and off Cheju Island of Korea. The young fishes were bred in fish cage on the board to measure the sustainable survival time for fishes escaped from grid panel and codend. The obtained results are summarized as follows' 1. Japanese flying squid(Todarodes pacjficus), mitra squid(Loligo chinesis), hair-tail( Trichiurus lepturus), john dory(Zeus japonicus), spanish mackerel(Scomberomorus niphonius), redlip croaker (Pseudosciaena polyactis) and blackthroat seaperch(Doederliinia berycoides) were dead instantly after hauling. 2. Survival rate of tiger shark(Galeocerdo cuvier), conger eel (Conger myriaster), red skate (Dasyatis akajei), black scraper(Navodon modestus) and japanese fan lobster(Ibacus ciliatus) might be high after discarding because they survived for long hours in fish cage. 3. Blotched eelpout(Zoarces gili) escaped from the escapement device(grid) was dead within 6 hours in the water tank installed on the board but 97% of tiger shark and 72% of conger eel survived over 72 hours. 4. Red skate escaped from trawl codend was dead within 60 hours in the water tank installed on the board but sustainable survival time of 25% of octopus(Paroctopus dofleini) and 100% of black scraper was over 72 hours. 5. Compared with the survival rate of rosefish(Helicolenus higendorfi) escaped from the escapement device(grid) and trawl codend, all of the rosefish escaped from the grid was dead within 7.2 hours but 8.3% of the rosefish escaped from the codend survived over 72 hours. 6. In comparison with the survival rate of japanese fan lobster survived over 72 hours, survival rate of japanese fan lobster escaped the codend was much higher as 75% than 33% of japanese fan lobster escaped from the grid.
Survival rate;Survival time;Fisheries management;Fish cage
- 香川 哲(1997) : シャワ一 方式によゐ小型底曳網漁業での再放流シャコの生存率の向上, 月刊海洋, 東京, 海洋出版株式會社, Vol. 29, No. 6, 385-388.
- Madsen, N., Moth-Poulsen, T. and Lowry, N. 1-14.
- Otterlind, G. (1960) : Some observation on the survival of released trawl-caught cod, ICES Comparative Fishing Committe, CM, No. 204.
- Armstrong, M. J., Briggs, R. P. and Rihan, D. (1998) : A study of optimum positioning of squaremesh escape panels in Irish Sea Nephrops trawls, Fish. Res., No. 34, 179-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(97)00078-7
- 大谷撤也.反田 實.西川哲也.佐藤泰弘(1997) : 小型底曳網混獲幼稚魚の生存率を高ぬるたぬの統水式選別水槽の使用例とさの效果, 月刊海洋, 東京, 海洋出版株式會社, Vol. 29, No. 6, 380-384.
- Sangster, G. I. (1989) : Techniques for assessing fish damage and survival after escape from trawl codend, Scottish fisheries working paper, No. 9/89.
- Alverson, D. L., Freeberg, M. H., Murawski, S. A. and Pope, J. G. (1994) : A global assessment of fisheries by-catch and discards, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 339, FAO, Rome.
- Stratoudakis, Y., Fryer, R. J., Cook, F. M. and Pierce, G. J. (1999) : Fish discarded form Scottish demersal vessels : Estimators of total discards and annual estimates for targeted gadoids, ICES Journal of Marine Science, Vol. 56, No. 5, 592-605. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.1999.0500
- Tamsett, D., Janacek, G. and Emberton, M. A. (1999) : Comparison of methods for onboard sampling of discards in commercial fishing, Fsih. Res., 42, 127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(99)00031-4
- Sangster, G. I., Lehmann, K. and Breen, M. (1996) : Commercial fishing experimentsto assess the scale damage and the survival of haddock and whiting after escape from four sizes of diamond mesh codends, Fish. Res. 25, 323-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(95)00430-0
- Soldal, A. V., Isaksen, B., Marteinssor, J. E. and Engas, A. (1991) : Scale damage and survival of cod and haddock escape from a demersal trawl, ICES CM/B: 44. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.1999.0500
- Broadhurst, M. K., Larsen, R.B., Kennelly, S. J. and McShane, P. E. (1999) : Use and success of composite square-mesh codends in reducing bycatch and in improving size-selectivity of prawns in Gulf St. Vincent, South Australia, Fish. Bull., Vol. 97, No. 3, 434-448.
- Sangster, G. I. (1992) : The survival of fish escaping from fishing gears, ICES CM, 1992 /B: 30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(95)00430-0