- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Application of VAV/BPFS(Variable-Air-Volume/Bypass Filtration System) for Indoor Air Environment
VAV/BPFS(Variable-Air-Volume/Bypass Filtration System) 의 실내환경 적응에 관한 연구
- 최성우 (계명대학교 환경학부)
- Published : 2003.12.01
Under controlled conditions in an environmental chamber, 24 experiments were performed to compare the ability of a Variable-Air-Volume/Bypass Filtration System(VAV/BPFS) to remove indoor pollutants and to conserve energy with the ability of conventional Variable Air Volume(VAV) system. The specific conclusions of this paper were; first, the VAV/BPFS was more efficient than the VAV system in removing particulate matter, TVOC, and target VOCs. The total effective removal rate of PM for the VAV/BPFS was two times as high as that of the VAV system. The total effective removal rate of TVOC for the VAV/BPFS was 20 percent higher than that of the VAV system. Also each target VOC concentration was reduced by using the VAV/BPFS. Second, clean air delivery rate was increased by using VAV/BPFS due to additional filtration rate. Otherwise, the VAV/BPFS decreased outdoor supply air rate above 25 percent relative to the rate of VAV system. Third, total energy consumption by the VAV/BPFS was lower than that of the VAV system during the period with indoor thermal load, occupied time. The energy saving of the VAV/BPFS ranged from 11 to 16 percent. The VAV/BPFS improves indoor air quality more efficiently than the VAV system, and it reduced energy consumption. Retrofitting the VAV system with the VAV/BPFS was easy The use of VAV/BPFS is, therefore, recommended far buildings with VAV system as well as for buildings at designing stage.
HVAC system;VAV system;VAV/BPFS;IAQ
- Wargocki, P., Z. Bako-Biro, G. Clausen and P. O. Fanger, 2002, Air quality in a simulated office environment as a result of reducing pollution sources and increasing ventilation, Energy and Buildings, 34, 775-783. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7788(02)00096-8
- Lee, C. S., W. M. Li and C. H. Ao, 2002, Investigation of indoor air quality at residential homes in Hong Kong-case study, Atmospheric Environment, 36, 225-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00435-6
- ASHRAE Standard 62-1989, 1989, Ventilation for acceptable indoor air quality, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, Atlanta, GA, ASHRAE Publications.
- 최성우, 1997, 실내공기질 모델을 이용한 환기시스템의 공기정화효율성 평가, 한국환경위생학회지, 23(4), 57-66.
- Choi, S. W., 1996, Indoor air quality: An overview of emission sources and control strategies, Journal of Nokdong Environmental Research Institute, 1, 113-134.
- Moschandreas, D.J., S.W. Choi and M. Meckler, 1994, Variable-air-volume/bypass filtration system(VAV/BPFS) performance with respect to indoor air quality, Healthy Buildings 94, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference, 2, 455-460.
- Redlich, C. A., J. Sparer and M.. Cullen, 1997, Sick-building syndrome, The Lancet, 349, 1013-1016. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)07220-0
- Rickelton, D. and H.P. Becker, 1972, Variable Air Volume, ASHRAE Journal, 9, 31-55.
- Grot, R.A., A.T. Hodgson, J.M. Daisey and A. Persily, 1991, Indoor air quality evaluation of a new office building, ASHRAE Journal, 33, 16-25.
- hoi, S.W., D.J. Moschandreas and M. Meckler, 1995, Testing of VAV/BPFS for reduced energy consumption and improved IAQ, IAQ, 95, 31-35.
- Molhave, L. and M. A. Thorsen, 1991, A model for investigations of ventilation systems as sources for volatile organic compounds in indoor climate, Atmospheric Environment, 25a, 241-249.
- ASHRAE, 1985, System Handbook, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, Atlanta, GA, ASHRAE Publications.
- ones, A. P., 1999, Indoor air quality and health, Atmospheric Environment, 33, 4535-4564. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00272-1
- Mcquiston, F.C. and J.D. Parker, 1988, Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning analysis and design, third edition, John Wiley & Sons, NY.
- Junker, M., T. Koller. and C. Monn, 2000, An assessment of indoor air contaminants in buildings with recreational activity, The Science of the Total Environment, 246, 139-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(99)00452-0
- Sauer, Jr. H.J. and R.H. Howel, 1992, Estimating the indoor air quality and energy performance of VAV system, ASHRAE Journal, 7, 43-50.