- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Modified Similitude Law for Pseudodynamic Test on Small-scale Steel Models
철골 축소모헝의 유사동적실험을 위한 수정된 상사법칙
- Kim, Nam-Sik (Technology Research Center of Hyundai Engineering and Construction) ;
- Kwak, Young-Hak (Yooshin Engineering Corporation ) ;
- Chang, Sung-Pil (Dept.of Earth Environment System Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Published : 2003.12.01
Although there are several experimental techniques to evaluate the seismic behavior and performance of civil structures, small-scale models in mast of physical tests, instead of prototypes or large-scale models, would be used due to a limitation on capacities of testing equipments. However, the inelastic seismic response prediction of small-scale models has some discrepancies inherently because the similitude law is generally derived in the elastic range. Thus, a special attention is required to regard the seismic behavior of small-scale models as one of prototypes. In this paper, differences between prototypes and small-scale models pseudodynamically tested on steel column specimens are investigated and an alternative to minimize them is suggested. In general, small-scale models could have the distorted stiffness induced from some experimental errors on test setup, steel fabrication and so on. Therefore, a modified similitude law considering both a scale factor for length and a stiffness ratio of small-scale model to prototype is proposed. Using the modified similitude law to compensate experimental errors, the pseudodynamic test results from modified small-scale model are much improved as compared with the results of prototype. According to the pseudodynamic test results of small-scale steel models, it can be concluded that the modified similitude law proposed could be effective in simulating the seismic response of prototype structures.
- Meng, Q. L., “The dynamic simulation of nonlinear performance of R/C structures in the earthquake simulation shaking table test,” Master dissertation of Institute of Engineering Mechanics, China Seismological Bureau, Harbin, 2001.
- Annual book of ASTM standards, Section 1, Vol. 01.04, ASTM, 1992.
- Kim, N. S. and Lee, D. G., “Pseudodynamic test for evaluation of seismic performance of base-isolated liquid storage tanks,” International Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1995, pp. 198-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00076-J
- Harris, H. G. and Sabnis, G. M., Structural modeling and experimental techniques, CRC Press, New York, 1999.
- Zhang, M. Z., “Study on similitude laws for shaking table tests,” Chinese Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1997(in Chinese).
- Zhang, M. Z., Guo, X. and Dai, J. W., “Shaking table tests of a high-rise building model,” Proc. of the Fifth International Conference on Tall Buildings, Hong Kong, 1998.
- Zung, Z. M., Chang, S. P., and In, S. B., “The seismic performance for concrete-filled steel piers,” Proceedings of Earthquake Engineering of Korea, Vol. 6, No. 2, 2002. 9, pp. 189-196(in Korean).
- Korean Standard Handbook, Steel(I), KSA, 2001.
- Usami, T. and Kumar, S., “Damage evaluation in steel box columns by pseudodynamic tests,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 122, No. 6, 1996, pp. 635-642. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:6(635)
- Richards, C. W., “Size effect in the tension test of mild steel beams,” Proc. of ASTM, Vol. 54, 1954, pp. 995-1002.
- Kim, W., El-Attar, A., and White, R. N., “Small-scale modeling techniques for reinforced concrete structures subjected to seismic loads,” Technical report NCEER-88-0041, State University of New York at Buffalo, New York, 1988.
- Lu, Y., Vintzileou, E., Zhang, G. F., and Tassios, T. P., “Reinforced concrete scaled columns under cyclic actions,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 151-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(98)00037-2
- Chung, W. J., Yun, C. B., Kim, N. S., and Seo, J. W., “Shaking table and pseudodynamic tests for the evaluation of the seismic performance of base-isolated structures,” International Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 21, 1999, pp. 365-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00211-3
- Mahin, S. A. and Shing, P. B., “Pseudodynamic test method-current status and future directions,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 115, No. 8, 1989, pp. 2113-2128. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:8(2113)
- Kumar, S., Itoh, Y., Saizuka, K. and Usami, T., “Pseudodynamic testing of scaled models,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 123, No. 4, 1997, pp. 524-526. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:4(524)
- On similitude law of sub-systems vol.5, pp.1, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-006-0605-2