- Volume 7 Issue 6
This paper describes a vibration control by using tuned mass damper(i.e., TMD) for an existing footbridge. The footbridge is the simple steel box girder bridge with main span length of 47.7m. This bridge has light weight, low damping and the 1st bending frequency of 1.84㎐. Its frequency is close to a walking cycle, which is 2㎐. Therefore the uncomfortable resonant vibrations due to a pedestrian walking have occurred frequently. The vibration control by means of TMD for suppressing the pedestrian induced vibration was conducted. Taking into account economical benefits and the easiness of installation, a compact TMD installed within a handrail was designed. From field tests of the TMD, it was confirmed that the structural damping of the bridge via. the compact TMD was enhanced by 13 times and the resonant vibration due to pedestrian walking was suppressed.
- Japan Road Association, The Technical Standard of Crossing Facilities, Maruzen, 1979(in Japanese).
- Tanaka, S. and Kato, M., “Design Verification Criteria for Vibration Serviceability of Pedestrian Bridge,” Proc. of JSCE, No. 471/I-24, 1993, pp. 77-84(in Japanese).
- Kajikawa, Y., Kubo, S., Fukuda, S., and Kondoh, S., “Vibration Characteristics of Prestressed Concrete Stress Ribbon Bridge with Slab deck,” Proc. of Colloquium on Bridge Vibration, 2001. 10, pp. 97-104(in Japanese).
- Wheeler, J. E., “Prediction and Control of Pedestrian Induced Vibration in Foot-Bridges,“ J. of Strc. Div. ASCE, Vol. 108, No.ST9, 1982, pp. 2045-2065.
- Kajikawa, Y., “Some Considerations on Ergonomical Serviceability Analysis of Pedestrian Bridge Vibrations,” Proc. of JSCE, Vol. 325, 1982, pp. 23-31(in Japanese).
- BSI, Steel, Concrete and Composite Bridges, Part 2., Specification for Loads, BS5400, 1978.
- Kobori T. and Kajikawa Y., “Ergonomic Evaluation Methods for Bridge Vibrations,” Proc. of JSCE, No. 230, 1974, pp. 114-122(in Japanese).
- Okabayashi, T., Yamamori, K., Sanuki, Y., and Tamura, T., “Estimation of Dynamic Characteristics for Structures with Closely Spaced Eigenvalues,” Proc. of JSCE, Vol. 633/"T-49, 1999, pp. 93-102(in Japanese).
- Evaluation of energy-producing capability from pedestrian-induced vibration in footbridge by a new Tuned Mass Piezo-Damper vol.21, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-016-2817-y