- Volume 36 Issue 6
The Okinawa Trough is a rift basin formed by extension. Analysis of multichannel seismic reflection profiles from the northwestern margin of the northern Okinawa Trough reveal that the trough is characterized by a series of tilted fault blocks bounded by listric normal faults and half-grabens developed between blocks, showing typical rifted structures. The trough display three kinds of sedimentary sequences with different seismic reflection characteristics: prerift, synrift and postrift sediments. The prerift sequence develops parallel to the dip direction of tilted fault blocks. The synrift sediments, mostly deposited in the half-grabens between tilted fault blocks, are generally well characterized by divergence of the reflectors towards the blocks indicating contemporaneous deposition during tilting. The postrift sediments are featured by continuous and parallel reflectors. The width of the half-graben and the throw-displacement rate of the basin bounding fault are closely connected. The throw-displacement rate is the maximum when the rifting event is the most active and the width of the half-graben is proportional to the rate.
Okinawa Trough;rift basin;tilted fault block;Half-graben;throw-displacement rate
- initial reports of deep sea drilling project v.48 Rifting and subsidence of the northern continental margin of the Bay of Biscay Montadert,L.
- Sedimentation in the East African Rifts, Special Publiction v.25 Structural expressions of rifting: lessons from Lake Tanganyika, Africa Roendahl,B.R.;Reynolds,D.J.;Lorber,P.M.;Burgess,C.F.;Mcgill,J.;Scott,D.;Lanbiase,J.J.;Derksen,S.J.;Frostick,L.E.(ed.);Renaut,R.W.(ed.);Reid,I.(ed.);Tiercelin,J.J.(ed.)
- 5th Exploration Seminar Variations in the oil and gas geology of rift basins Salveson,J.O.
- Journal of Geophysical Research v.92 Back are Extension in the Okinawa Trough Sibuet,J.C.;Letouzey,J.;Barbier,F.;Charvet,J.;Foucher,J.P.;Hilde,T.W.C.;Kimura,M.;Chiao,L.Y.;Marset,B.;Muller,C.;Stephan,J.F. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB092iB13p14041
- The Atlantic continental margin,U.S., Geol. Soc. Amer. v.1-2 U.S. Atlantic continental margin: A typical Atlantic-type or passive continental margin Klitgord,K.D.;Hutchinson,D.R.;Schouten,H.;Sheridan,R.E.(ed.);Grow,J.A.(ed.)
- The Atlantic continental margin, U.S., Geol. Soc. Amer. v.1-2 U.S. Atlantic continental margin: A typical Atlantic-type or passive continental margin Grow,J.A.;Sheridan,R.E.;Sheridan,R.E.(ed.);Grow,J.A.(ed.)
- Proceedings of 26th International Geological Congress, Geology of Continental Margins Symposium Listric normal faults Bally,A.W.;Bernoulli,D.;Davis,G.A.;Montadert,L.
- Bulletin of American Association Petroleum Geologists v.54 Structural framework of East china Sea and Yellow Sea Wageman,J.M.;Hilde,T.W.C.;Emery,K.O.
- Basin Analysis in petroleum exploration Structure of the Bekes Basin inferred from seismic reflection, well and gravity data Grow,J.A.;Mittick,R.E.;Berczi-Makk,A.;Pero,C.;Hajdu,D.;Pogacsas,G.;Varnai,P.;Varga,E.;Teleki,P.G.(ed.);Mattick,R.E.(ed.);Kokai,J.(ed.)
- Tectonophysics v.141 tectonic model of the Malawi rift, Africa Ebinger,C.J.;Rosendahl,B.R.;Reynolds,D.J.;Ben-Avraham,Z.(eds.) https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(87)90187-9
- Geophysics v.20 Seismic velocities from surface measurements Dix,C.H. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1438126
- Tectonophysics v.125 The Okinawa Trough: genesis of a back-arc basin developing along a continental margin Letouzey,J.;Kimura,M. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(86)90015-6
- Islands Arcs, Deep Sea trenches and Back-Arc Basins Some basic problems on trench-arcback-arc-system. In in Island Arcs, Deep Sea Trenched and Back-Arc Basins Uyeda,S.;Talwani,M.(ed.);Pitman Ⅲ.W.C.(ed.)
- 한국동력자원연구소, KR-89-3A-1 대륙붕 제8소구의 층서고생물학적 연구 봉필윤;이호영;권영인;전희영
- Journal of Australian Petroleum Exploration Association v.14 The development of continental margins in plate tectonic theory Falvey,D.A.
- Marine and Petroleum Geology v.2 Back-arc rifting in the Okinawa Trough Kimura,M. https://doi.org/10.1016/0264-8172(85)90012-1
- Hydrocarbon Habitat in Rift Basins v.80 Structural controls on sedimentation in continental rifts Lambiase,J.J.;Bosworth,W.;Lambiase,J.J.(eds.)
- Continental Extensional Tectonics(Special Publication) v.28 Extensional structures on the western UK continental shelf: a review of evidence from deep seismic profiling Cheadle,M.J.;McGeary,S.;Warner,R.M.;Mathews,D.H.;Coward,M.P.(ed.);Dewey,J.F.(ed.);Hancock,P.L.(ed.)