- Volume 12 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Environmental Conditions on the Structure and Distribution of Pacific Saury in the Tsushima Warm Current Region
- Gong, Yeong (Korea Fisheries Association) ;
- Suh, Young-Sang (Oceanography Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute)
- Published : 2003.11.01
To provide evidence that the changes in oceanic environmental conditions are useful indices for predicting stock structure and distribution of the Pacific saury (Cololabis saira), the body length compositions and catch per unit fishing effort were examined in relation to the sea surface temperature(SST) anomalies in the Tsushima Warm Current(TWC) region. The size of the fish became larger(smaller) than the average in the same size category during the season of higher SST(lower SST) as opposed to the normal SST. The year-to-year changes in body size caused by the changes in the environmental conditions led the stock to be homogeneous during the period of high stock level from the late 1950s to early 1970s and in the 1990s. The changes in body size manifested by higher(lower) occurrence rates of larger (smaller) sized groups in relation to temperature anomalies suggest that the changes in the environmental conditions affect the distribution and the structure of the stock in the TWC region. Therefore, if the SST anomaly derived from satellite data is large enough in the early spring months(Mar. or Apr.), it is possible to predict whether or not sea temperature will be favorable for large sized groups of saury at normal or slightly earlier time of commencement of the fishery in spring(Apr.∼June).
- Bull. Jap. Soc. Fish. Oceanogr. v.44 On the migration of Pacific saury in relation to oceanographic conditions off Korea Gong,Y.;T.Hirano;C.I.Zhang
- Distribution and migration of Pacific saury and oceanic environments, Fisheries Oceanograhic Environments Gong,Y.;T.Hirano;Sugimoto,K.(ed.);M.Ishino(ed.);K.Sugiura(ed.);H.Nakata(ed.)
- Bull. Japan. Soc. Fish. Oceanogr. v.66 Long-term variability in the abundance of Pacific saury in the northwestern Pacific Ocean and climate changes during the last century Tian,Y.;T.Akamine;M.Suda
- Reports of the Cooperative Investigations on the Saury in the Japan Sea for 1962 The growth stage and racial problem of the saury occurring in the Japan Sea Fukataki,H.
- Reports of the Cooperative Investigations on the Saury in the Japan Sea for 1963 and 1964 v.107-113 The body length and weight composition of the northward migrating saury in the Japan Sea for 1963 and 1964 Kuroiwa,M.
- Jour. Hokkaido Fish. Exp. St. (Hokusuishi Geppo) v.35 no.6 Studies on the characteristics of the northward migrating saury(Coloabis saira) in the Japan Sea, 1977 Wakoh,M.
- Bull, Fish Res, Dev. Agency v.33 Distribution and movements of Pacific saury, Coloabis saira (Brevoort) in relation to oceanographic conditions in waters of Korea Gong,Y.
- Extened abstract, Science Board Symposium, 9th PICES annual meeting Distribution and stock of saury in the north-western part of the Japan Sea Baytaluk,A.
- Min. Sci. and Tech. Korea, BSPE 00055-86-7B Distribution of thermal fronts in the South-East Sea of Korea (Southern Japan Sea) Gong,Y.;H.J.Lie
- J. Oceanogr. v.50 Structure of the Tsushima Current in the southwestern Japan Sea Katoh,O. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02239520
- Clim. Dyn. v.9 Decadal atmosphere-ocean variations in the Pacific Trenberth,K.E.;J.W.Hurrell https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00204745
- J. Meteor. Soc. Japan v.78 Regime shifts found in the northern hemisphere SST field Yasunaka,S.;K.Hanawa
- Proceedings of Korean-Japan GLOBEC Symposium Effect of ocean climate changes of the Korean stock of Pacific saury, Cololabis saira (Brevoort), In Long-term Variations in the Northwestern Pacific Ecosystems Zhang,C.I.;Y.Gong;T.Sugimoto(ed.);S.Kim(ed.);C.I.Zhang(ed.);H.Nakata(ed.);S.H.Huh(ed.)
- Prog. Oceanogr. v.47 Climate regime shifts and their impacts on marine escosystems and fisheries resources in Korean waters Zhang,C.I.;J.B.Lee;S.Kim;J.H.Oh https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6611(00)00035-5
- Report of Fisheries Oceanography Symposium for 80 year Anniversary of NFRDI Regional diference in production mechanism and abundance in the pacific saury stock area; In the Ocean environmental impact on mass productive marine organisms, Korean Fisheries Societh and National Fisheried Research and Development Institute (NFRDI) Gong,Y.;J.B.Lee
- Bull. Japan Sea Natl. Fish. Res. Inst. v.44 Evaluation of the effects of winter cooling on sea surface temperature in the spring around Tsushima Current regions Hirai,M.
- J. Phys. Oceanogr. v.29 no.8 Formation and circulation processes of intermediate water in the Japan Sea Yoshikawa,Y.;T.Awaji;K.Akitomo https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(1999)029<1701:FACPOI>2.0.CO;2