- Volume 12 Issue 6
Rotary swaging is one of the incremental forming process which is a chipless metal forming process for the reduction of cross-sections of bars, tubes and wires. In the present work, the rotary swaging machine and dies were designed to investigate the formability of TDS(Tube Drive Shaft) used in automotive industry. The process variables such as the speed of forming, the shape of the formed materials and the reduction of area were also estimated to study experimental analyses of rotary swaging process using the materials of 34Mn5 and S45C. From experimental results, it was found that the process variables affected the quality of TDS in terms of hardness, the precision of products and the surface roughness. The hardness after swaging approved to be Increased with the increase in the reduction of diameter. And it was found that the grain size became smaller and the elongated grains were formed in the axis direction.
Rotary Swaging;Incremental Forming;Tubular Drive Shaft(TDS);Solid Drive Shaft(SDS)
- S. J. Lim, D. J. Yoon, J. H. Lee and K. H. Na, 1997, "Development of Rotary Swagig Machine with the Outer Rotor", J. of Industrial Technology, KITECH, Vol. 2, No. 7.
- Richard L. Kegg, Trans. ASME., 1964, "Mechanics of the Rotary Swaging Process", Vol. 84-86, No. 4, pp. 317-326.
- Romed L. Suffredini, 1963, "How Swaging affects Mechanical properties of steel", Metal progress, pp. 109-120.
- Serope Kalpakjian, 1966, "Dimensional Changes in Tube Swaging", J. of Engineerig for Industry transactions of the ASM. Vol. 88, No. 2, pp. 147-150. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3670905
- S. J. Lim, D. J. Yoon and K. H. Na, 1998, "The Forming Characteristic of Rotary Swaging Process", J. of the Korea Society for Technology of Plasticity Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 432-438.
- Dr. Bernhard Muller, "Application of rotary swaging for the economical production of light weight components, mainly for the car industry", HMP, pp. 1-5.
- R. S.Dusseau, J. D. Bryzgel, Tool and Manufacturing Engineers Hand book, Chap.14 "Swaging", SME, Vol. 2 (Forming), pp. 14-1-14-21.
- W. G. Ovens, E. L. Bartholomew, R. R. Biederman, 1976, "Metal flow in Two-die Swaging," J. of Engineering for Industry Transactions of the ASM. Vol. 98, No. 4, pp. 1121-1124. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3439064
- ASM. Metals Hondbook, Forming, 1969, "Rotary Swaging of Bar and Tubes", Vol. 4. pp. 333-346.
- Dr. -Ing. P. Ambom, Prof. S. K. Ghosh, I. K. Lead better, 1995, "Modem Side-Shaft fo Passeng -er Cars : Manufacturing Procsses I ", GKN Autotive, J. of Materials Processing Technology, 63. pp 13-24.
- Estimation of Conditions of Incremental Hot Rotary Forging Process for Monobloc Tubular Drive Shaft vol.33, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2016.33.4.287