- Volume 12 Issue 7
The emission of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) generated from painting and coating processes is a worldwide problem as contributing factors to the development of photochemical smog and other environmental problems. Common methods of reducing VOC emissions are adsorption on activated carbon, membrane separation, absorption, incineration, or catalytic oxidation. In this article, the environmental issues caused by VOC emissions and the trend of legislation against such emissions will be surveyed first. Several conventional control technologies will then be summarized and the characteristics of each process will be introduced. Lastly, some examples will be described to show the hybrid processes which have been industrially applied for the recovery of VOC.
- Moretti, E.C. and N. Mukhopadhyay, 1993, VOC control: Current practices and future trends, Chem. Eng. Prog., 89(7), 20-26.
- 환경부 홈페이지(www.me.go.kr).
- Okamoto, A., 1995, VOC emission control by membranes, Membrane, 20(1), 18-28. https://doi.org/10.5360/membrane.20.18
- Vigneron, S., J. Hermia and J. Chaouki, 1994, Characterization and control of odours and VOC in the process industry, Studies in Environmental Sci., 61, 359-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-1116(08)72068-5
- Ruddy, E.N. and L.A. Carroll, 1993, Select the best VOC control strategy, Chem. Eng. Prog., 89, 28-35.
- Okamoto, A., 1995, Recovery of VOC by membranes, Aromatics, 47, 151-163.
- Izumo, M., 1997, VOC 脫臭裝置の 最適選定, 化學裝置, 1997(2), 35-41.
- Ruhl, M.J., 1993, Recover VOCs via adsorption on activated carbon, Chem. Eng. Prog., 89(7), 37-41.
- Stenzel, M.H., 1993, Remove organics by activated carbon adsorption, Chem. Eng. Prog., 89 (4), 36-43.
- Paulis, L., M. Gandia, A. Gil, J. Sambeth, J. A. Odriozola and M. Montes, 2000, Influence of the surface adsorption-desorption processes on the ignition curves of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) complete oxidation over supported catalysts, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 26(1), 37-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(00)00109-0
- Vineet, K.G. and N. Verma, 2002, Removal of volatile organic compounds by cryogenic condensation followed by adsorption, Chemical Engineering Science, 57(14), 2679-2696. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2509(02)00158-6
- Blasin-Aube, V., J. Belkouch and L. Monceaux, 2003, General study of catalytic oxidation of various VOCs over La-Sr0-MnO perovskite catalyst-influence of mixture, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 43(2), 175-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(02)00302-8
- Panayiotis, P., T. Ioannides and X.E. Verykios, 1999, VOC removal: investigation of ethylacetate oxidation over supported Pt catalysts, Catalysis Today, 54(1), 81-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0920-5861(99)00170-4
- Baker, R.W., J. Kaschemekat and J.G. Wijmans, 1996, Membrane systems for profitable VOC recovery, Chemtech, July, 37- 43pp.
- Matsumoto, K. and K. Lshii, 1991, Membrane process for organic vapor recovery from air, Polymer J., 23(5) 491-499. https://doi.org/10.1295/polymj.23.491
- Degreve, J., K. Everaert and J. Baeyens, 2001, The use of gas membranes for VOC-air separations, Filtration & Separation, 38(4), 48-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-1882(01)80295-0
- Ludgarda, B., K. Warmuziski, M. Taczyk and A. Janusz-Cygan, 1999, Cost analysis for the removal of volatile organic compounds from air using hybrid systems: membrane separation/condensation versus membrane separation/combustion, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 38(3), 273-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0255-2701(99)00010-0
- Simmons, V., J. Kaschemekat, M.L. Jacobs and D. Dortmundt, 1994, Membrane systems offer a new way to recover volatile organic air pollutants, Chem. Eng., 92-94pp.
- Bohn, H., 1994, Consider biofiltration for decontaminating gases, Chem. Eng. Prog., 88(4), 34-40.
- Leson, G. and A.M. Winer, 1991, Biofiltration: An innovative air pollution control technology for VOC emission, J. Air and Waste Manage. Associ., 41(8), 1045-1054. https://doi.org/10.1080/10473289.1991.10466898
- Paul, D. and K. Ohlrogge, 1998, Separation process for clean production, Environmental Progress, 17(3), 137-141. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.670170310
- Study on the Development of Hybrid NMP Recovery System for Recovering the Used NMP in Lithium Ion Battery Cathode Manufacturing Process vol.40, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2016.40.5.289