- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Distribution of Butyltin Compounds in Surface Sediments inside Hallim Harbor of Jeiu Island, Korea
제주도 한림항내 표층퇴적물 중의 부틸주석화합물의 분포
- Published : 2003.07.01
Butyltin compounds (BTs), namely tributyltin (TBT), dibutyltin (DBT) and monobutyltin (MBT), were measured in surface sediments collected in 2001 inside Hallim Harbor where a lot of shipping occurs as one of major harbors of Jeju Island, in order to evaluate their distribution. BTs were detected in surface sediments of all stations and their concentrations were comparable to those in surface sediments of other sites of domestic and foreign countries. The main species among BTs was MBT, although there was a little difference with a survey site. No correlations were obtained between organic matter or particles size of surface sediments and total BTs, indicating that these factors did not affect on the distribution of BTs. It was estimated that more complex factors including BTs loads and surrounding sedimentary environments, affected on the distribution of BTs. The high correlations between BTs indicated that DBT and MBT were mainly degraded from TBT based on antifouling paints of vessel etc. and other sources, such as DBT and MBT, could be ignored. The butyltin degradation indexes ([DBT] + [MBT]/[TBT]) Ivere in the range of 1.5∼3.3 (mean 2.5), indicating that the parent compound, TBT, were inflowed into the surface sediments a long years ago and degraded.
- de Mora, S.J., 1996, The tributyltin debate: ocean transportation versus seafood harvesting, In de Mora, S.J. (ed.), Tributyltin: case study of an environmental contaminant, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1-20pp.
- Nudelman, M.A., C. Carro and N.S. Nudelman, 1998, Effects of tin(IV) chloride and of organotin compounds on aquatic microorganisms, Appl. Organomet. Chem., 12, 67-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0739(199801)12:1<67::AID-AOC673>3.0.CO;2-#
- Hongxia, L., H. Guolan and D. Shugui, 1998, Toxicity and accumulation of tributyltin chloride on Tilapia, Appl. Organomet. Chem., 12, 109- 119.
- Tanabe, S., M. Prudente, T. Mizuno, J. Hasegawa, H. Iwata and N. Miyazaki, 1998, Butyltin contamination in marine mammals from North Pacific and Asian coastal waters, Environ. Sci. Technol., 32(2), 193-198. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970543h
- Melinema, H.A., T.B. Wiersma, G.V. de Haan and E.C. Gevers, 1978, Determination of trace amounts of butyltin compounds in aqueous systems by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, Environ. Sci. Technol., 12(3), 288-293. https://doi.org/10.1021/es60139a012
- Hoch, M., 2001, Organotin compounds in the environment- an overview, Appl. Geochem., 16, 719-743. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-2927(00)00067-6
- 이수형, 1998, 우리나라의 TBT 오염현황 및 대책, 한국해양환경공학회 춘계학술대회논문집, 3-12pp.
- Clark, E.A., R.M. Sterritt and J.N. Lester, 1998, The fate of tributyltin in the aquatic environment, Environ. Sci. Technol., 22, 600- 604. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00171a001
- Seligman, P.F., A.O. Valkirs and R.F. Lee, 1986, Degradation of tributyltin in San Diego Bay, California, Environ. Sci. Technol., 20, 1229-1235. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00154a006
- Batley, G., 1996, The distribution and fate of tributyltin in the marine environment, In de Mora, S. J. (ed.), Tributyltin: case study of an environmental contaminant, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 139-166pp.
- Lee, R.F., A.O. Valkirs and P.F. Seligman, 1989, Importance of microalgae in biodegradation of tributyltin in estuarine waters, Environ. Sci. Technol., 23. 1515-1518. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00070a010
- Reader, S. and E. Pelletier, 1992, Biosorption and degradation of butyltin compounds by the marine diatom Skeletonema costatum and the associated bacterial community at low temperature, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 48, 599-607.
- Stang, P.M. and P.F. Seligman, 1987, In situ adsorption and desorption of butyltin compounds from Pearl Harbor, Harwaii sediment, Proc. Oceans '86 Conference, 4, 1386-1391.
- Downson, P.H., J.M. Bubb and J.N. Lester, 1993, A study of the partitioning and sorptive behavior of butyltins in the aquatic environment, Appl. Oraganomet. Chem., 7, 623-633. https://doi.org/10.1002/aoc.590070805
- 감상규, 안이선, 고병철, 조은일, 이기호, 2000, 제주도 성산항내 부틸주석화합물의 분포와 생물체에 미치는 영향, 한국환경과학회지, 9(4), 285-294.
- Kam, S.K., L.S. An, E.I. Cho and K.S. Choi, 1999, Contamination and bioaccumulation of butyltin compounds inside Cheju Harbor of Cheju Island, Korea, The East China Sea, 2, 125-144.
- Stephenson, M.D., 1991, A field assay approach to determining tributyltin toxicity to oysters in Califonia, Mar. Environ. Res., 32, 51-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-1136(91)90033-5
- Lawler, I.A. and J.C. Aldrech, 1987, Sublethal effects of bis (tri-n-butyltin) oxide on Crassostrea gigas spat, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 18(6), 274-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(87)90503-0
- Horiguchi, T., H. Shiraishi, M. Shimizu, S. Yamazaki and M. Morita, 1994, Imposex and organotin compounds in Thais clavigera and T. bronni in Japan, J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K., 74, 651-669. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002531540004772X
- Valkirs, A.O., B. Davidson, L.L. Kear, R.L. Fransham, J.G. Grovhoug and P.F. Seligman., 1991, Long-term monitoring of tributyltin San Diego Bay California, Mar. Environ. Res., 32, 151-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-1136(91)90039-B
- Huggett, R.J., M.A. Unger, P.E. Seligman and O.A. Valkirs, 1992, The marine biocide tributyltin : Assessing and managing the environmental risk, Environ. Sci. and Tech., 26, 232-237. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00026a001
- Evans, S.M., M. Dawson, J. Day, C.L.J. Frid, M.E. Gill, L.A. Pattisina and J. Porter., 1995, Domestic Waste and TBT Pollution in Coastal Areas of Ambon Island(Eastern Indonesia), Mar. Pollut. Bull., 30, 109-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(94)00182-9
- 환경부, 2002, http://www.me.go.kr.
- Clavell, C., P.F. Seligman and P.M. Stang., 1986, Automated analysis of organotin compounds: a method for monitoring butyltins in the marine environment, Proc. Oceans '86 Conference, 4, 1152-1154.
- 심재형, 오재룡, 강성현, 심원준, 홍상희, 1996, TBT 오염실태 조사 및 대책수립연구, 서울대학교 제1차년도 연차보고서, 농림수산부, 121pp.
- 제주도, 1997, 제주도 친환경개발을 위한 환경지표설정, 244-245pp.
- 심원준, 2000, 우리나라 해양환경에서 유기주석화합물의 환경화학 및 환경독성학적 연구, 서울대학교 박사학위논문, 263pp.
- 김남숙, 박동욱, 오재룡, 심원준, 2001, 혈액 중의 주석화합물(MBT, DBT, TBT)의 분석과 농도에 관한 연구, 분석과학, 14(2), 115-122.
- Ingram, R.L., 1971, Sieve analysis, In Carver, R. E(ed.), Procedures in sedimentary petrology, Willy-Inter Science, 49-67pp.
- Shim, W. J., J.R. Oh, S.H. Kang, J.H. Shim and S.H. Lee, 1999, Horizontal distribution of butyltins in surface sediments from an enclosed bay system, Korea, Environ. Pollut., 106, 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00109-8
- 홍상희, 1996, 옥포만내 유기주석화합물의 분포와 해양 무척추동물 중의 생물농축, 이화여자대학교 석사학위논문, 68pp.
- Choi, H.G., P.J. Kim and W.C. Lee, 1997, Butyltin compounds concentrations in Masan Bay, J. Korean Fish. Soc., 30(6), 923-928.
- 김규용, 1997, 광양만내 유기주석화합물의 해수, 퇴적물, 생물중 농도 및 분포 상관관계, 부경대학교 석사학위논문, 86pp.
- Amouroux, D., E. Tessier and O.F.X. Donard, 2000, Volatilization of organotin compounds from estuarine and coastal environment, Environ. Sci. Technol., 34(6), 988-995. https://doi.org/10.1021/es981025p
- Biselli, S., K. Bester, H. Huhnerfuss and K. Fent, 2000, Concentrations of the antifouling compound Ingarol 1051 and of organotins in water and sediments of German North and Baltic Sea Marinas, Mar. Pollut. Bull, 40(3), 233-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(99)00177-0
- Gomez-Ariza, J.L., R. Beltran, E. Morales, Giraldez and M. Ruiz-Benitez, 1995, Acid extraction treatment of sediment samples for organotin speciation; occurrence of butyltin and phenyltin compounds on the Cadiz Coast, South-West Spain, Appl. Organomet. Chem., 9, 51-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/aoc.590090109
- Diez, S., M. Abalos and J.M. Bayona, 2002, Organotin contamination in sediments from the Western Mediterranean enclosures following 10 years of TBT regulation, Water Res., 36, 905-918. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00305-0
- Venkatesan, M.I., N. Chalaux, J.M. Bayona and E. Zeng, 1998, Butyltins in sediments from Santa Monica and San Pedro basins, Califonia, Environ. Pollut., 99(2), 263-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(97)00136-X
- Jacobesen, J.A. and G. Asmund, 2000, TBT in marine sediments and blue mussels (Mytilus edulis) from central-west Greenland, Sci. Total Environ., 245(1-3), 131-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(99)00438-6
- Lambert, S.M., 1967, Functional relationship between sorption in soil and chemical structure. J. Agric. Food Chem., 15, 572-576. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60152a024
- Dowson, P.H., J.M. Bubb and J.N. Lester, 1993, A study of the partitioning and sorptive behavior of butyltins in the aquatic environment, Appl. Organomet. Chem., 7, 623-633. https://doi.org/10.1002/aoc.590070805
- Langston, W.J. and N.D. Pope, 1995, Determinants of TBT adsorption and desorption in estuarine sediments, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 31 (1-3), 32-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(95)91269-M
- Tolosa, I., L. Merlini, N. de Bertrand, J.M. Bayona and J. Albaiges, 1992, Occurrence and fate of tributyl- and triphenyltin compounds in western Mediteterranean coastal enclosures, Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 11, 145-155. https://doi.org/10.1897/1552-8618(1992)11[145:OAFOTA]2.0.CO;2
- Yonezawa, Y., K. Nakada, Y. Miyakozawa, A. Ochi, T. Kowata, H. Fukawa, Y. Sato, S. Masunaga and Y. Urushigawa, 1993, Distribution of butyltins in the surface sediment of Ise Bay, Japan, Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 12, 1175-1184. https://doi.org/10.1897/1552-8618(1993)12[1175:DOBITS]2.0.CO;2
- Karickhoff, S.W., 1981, Semi-empirical estimation of sorption of hydrophobic pollutants on natural sediments and soils, Chemosphere, 10, 833-846. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-6535(81)90083-7
- 유영순, 2000, 광양만 주변해역 퇴적물에서의 다환방향족탄화수소류(PAHs)의 오염에 관한 연구, 여수대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 69pp.
- Fent, K. and M.D. Muller, 1991, Occurrence of organotins in municipal wastewater and sewage sludge and behavior of butyltins in a treatment plant, Environ. Sci. Technol., 25, 489-493. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00015a017
- Choi, H.G., S.S. Moon, H.B. Moon, B.K. Gu, 2002, Occurrence of butyltin compounds in marine environment of Gwangyang Bay, Korea, J. Environ. Sci., 11(8), 793-800. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2002.11.8.793