- Volume 19 Issue 3
Consolidation Settlement of Capped Sediment (I): Centrifuge Simulation by Modeling of Models Technique
캡이 설치된 퇴적층의 압밀 침하 (I) : 원심모형시험기를 이용한 모델링 방법
- Kim, Tae-Hyung (Chung-Ang Univ., Dept. of Civil and Environ. Engrg.) ;
- Hong, Won-Pyo (Chung-Ang Univ., Dept. of Civil and Environ. Engrg.) ;
- Moo-Young, Horace-K (Lehigh Univ., Dept. of Civil and Environ. Engrg.)
- Published : 2003.06.01
Marine sediment capping is a technique where clean sand is placed over contaminated sediment to reduce the migration of contaminants to the environment. The design of in-situ caps placed over marine sediment must take into consideration the self-weight consolidation of the cap and the consolidation of the sediment as a result of adding the cap layer. Centrifuge tests were adopted to simulate the effects of consolidation settlement of capped marine sediment caused by the placement of a clean sand layer. The modeling of models technique was utilized to verify the correct modeling procedures used in this study. Two centrifuge tests were conducted with the same boundary conditions at different gravitational accelerations of 100 g and 50 g. There was good agreement between these tests. It can be concluded that the centrifuge experiment is able to model consolidation settlement of capped marine sediment.
- Control of Eutrophication in Inland Waters Klapper,H.
- Proc. Freshwater Biological Conf. Calcite Covering of Sediments as a Possible Way of Curbing Blue-Green Algae Klapper,H.
- Journal of Geotechnical Engineering v.112 no.11 Quiescent Consolidation of Phospatic Waste Clays McVay,M.;Townsend,F.;Bloomquist,D. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1986)112:11(1033)
- Contaminated Sediment in Ports and Waterways:Cleanup Strategies and Technologies National Research Council(NRC)
- Guidance for In-Situ Subaqueous Capping of Contaminated Sediment. EPA 905-B96-004 Palermo,M.;Maynord.S.;Miller,J.;Reible,D.D.
- Proceedings of the 7th Annual US/Japan Experts Meeting Studies on Capping of Contaminated Dredged Material by the New York District Corps of Engineers Suszkowski,D.J.
- Journal of Geotechnical Engineering v.116 no.2 SOA:Large strain Consolidation Predictions Townsend,F.C.;McVay,M.C. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1990)116:2(222)
- Dredging and Management of Dredged Material:Geotechnical Special Publication 65 Current Status and Future Management of Dredging at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Wakeman,T.H.;Dunlop,P.;Knutson,L.;J.N.Meegoda(ed.);T.H.Wakeman(ed.);A.Arulmoli(ed.);W.Librizzi(ed.)