- Volume 7 Issue 2
We report the formation of inner cladding modes in the optical fiber having an inner cladding structure. The inner cladding layer located between the core- and the cladding- layers of a conventional fiber might have, so called, inner cladding mode(s). The brief history of the inner cladding fiber and the spectral properties of the inner cladding mode are presented. By utilizing fiber gratings, the spectral properties of the inner cladding mode formed in Dispersion Compensating Fiber (DCF) are discussed. It was observed that one resonant peak of a long-period fiber grating was not sensitive to the variation on the cladding surface. With a fiber Bragg grating, a small group of unusual resonant Peaks was observed between the main Bragg Peak and the series of usual Peaks resulted from the mode coupling to counter-propagating cladding modes. Within the DCF by using fiber gratings, it is noted, at least one mode can be coupled to the inner cladding mode and a few outer cladding modes are severely affected by the inner cladding of the fiber.
- B. H. Lee and J. Nishii, “Cladding-surrounding interface insensitive long-period grating,” Electron. Lett., vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1129-1130, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19980788
- B. H. Lee and J. Nishii, “Dependence of fringe spacing on the grating separation in a long-period fiber grating pair,” Applied Optics, vol. 38, no. 16, pp. 3450-3459, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.38.003450
- B. H. Lee, Y. Liu, S. B. Lee, S. S. Choi, and J. N. Jang, “Displacements of the resonant peaks of a longperiod fiber grating induced by a change of ambient refractive index,” Opt. Lett., vol. 22, no. 23, pp. 1769-1771, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.22.001769
- B. H. Lee, and J. Nishii, “Bending sensitivity of inseries long-period fiber gratings,” Opt. Lett., vol. 23, no. 20, pp.1624-1626, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.23.001624
- T. Erdogan, “Fiber grating spectra,” J. of Lightwave Technol., vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1277-1294, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.618322
- T. -J. Eom, Y. -J. Kim, Y. Chung, W. -T. Han, U. -C. Paek, and B. H. Lee, “Asymmetric transmission spectrum of a long-period fiber grating and its removal using a beam scanning method,” IEICE Trans. Commun., vol. E84-B, no. 5, pp. 1241-1245, 2001.
- E. M. Dianov, S. A. Vasiliev, A. S. Kurkov, O. I. Medvedkov, and V. N. Protopopov, “In-fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on a pair of long- period gratings,” in European Conf. on Optical Communication '96, Belgium, pp. 65-68, 1996.
- S. Ramachandran, B. Mikkelsen, L. C. Cowsar, M. F. Yan, G. Raybon, L. Boivin, M. Fishteyn, W. A. Reed, P. Wisk, D. Brownlow, R. G. Huff, and Gruner- Nielsen, “All-fiber grating-based higher order mode dispersion compensator for broad-band compensation and 1000-km transmission at 40 Gb/s,” IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 632-634, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/68.924050
J. -L. Auguste, R. Jindal, J. -M. Blondy, M. Clapeau, J. Marcou, B. Dussardier, G. Monnom, D. B. Ostrowsky, B. P. Pal, and K. Thyagarajan, “- 1800ps/(nm.km) chromatic dispersion at 1.55
$\mu$m in dual concentric core fibre,” Electron. Lett., vol. 36, no. 20, pp. 1689-1691, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20001236
- N. Kuwaki, M. Ohashi, C. Tanaka, N. Uesugi, S. Seikai, and Y. Negishi, “Characteristics of dispersionshifted dual shape core single-mode fibers,” J. of Lightwave Technol., LT-5, pp. 792-797, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.1987.1075571
- S. Ramachandran, S. Ghalmi, Z. Wang, and M. Yan, “Band-selection filters with concatenated long-period gratings in few-mode fibers,” Opt. Lett., vol. 27, no. 19, pp. 1678-1680, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.27.001678
- T. Erdogan, “Cladding-mode resonances in short- and long- period fiber grating filters,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1760-1773, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.14.001760
- A Study on Distance Visual Acuity and Contrast Sensitivity According to Degree of Eye Dominance vol.22, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.4.435
- Realization of true-time-delay using cascaded long-period fiber gratings: theory and applications to the optical pulse multiplication and temporal encoder/decoder vol.23, pp.2, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2004.842299
- Lens-free optical fiber connector having a long working distance assisted by matched long-period fiber gratings vol.23, pp.2, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2004.841257
- Comparison of Visual Function between Dominant and Non-dominant Eye in Monocular Eye vol.23, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2018.23.3.249
- Compact Vector Bend Sensor Using Dual-Off-Axis Innermost Cladding-Type FBGs vol.18, pp.18, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2018.2849360
- Consistency of Results Between Dominant Eye Tests : The Effect of Degree of Eye Dominance vol.23, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2018.23.4.401