- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Genetic Distance Study among Deoni Breed of Cattle Using Random Amplified DNA Markers
- Appannavar, M.M. (University of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Govindaiah, M.G. (Dept. of ABGB, Veterinary College) ;
- Ramesha, K.P. (SRS, NDRI)
- Received : 2002.01.11
- Accepted : 2002.04.08
- Published : 2003.03.01
Random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis was done with 19 oligonucleotide primers to study genetic similarities and divergence among different types of Deoni breed of cattle viz., Balankya, Wannera and Waghya. Six random primers produced low to high numbers of polymorphic bands between pooled DNA of different Deoni types. Of the 48 RAPD markers obtained 33 were common to all Deoni types, 3 were individual specific and 12 were polymorphic for different Deoni types. The mean average percentage difference values among Deoni types showed that Balankya and Wannera had less genetic divergence when compared to Waghya.
- Joshi, N. R. and R. W. Phillips. 1953. Zebu cattle of India and Pakistan-FAO Agricultural studies No. 19, Publ. by FAO, Rome.
- Teale, A. J., J. Wambugu, P. S. Gwakisa, G. Stranzinger, D. Bradley and S. J. Kemp. 1995. A polymorphism in randomly amplified DNA that differentiate the Y chromosome of B. indicus and B. taurus. Anim. Genet. 26:243- 248. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1995.tb03251.x
- Nei, M. and W. H. Li. 1979. Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 76:5269- 5273. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.76.10.5269
- Gwakisa, P. S., S. J. Kemp and A. J. Teale. 1994. Characterization of zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using random amplified polymorphic DNA markers. Anim. Genet. 25:89-94.
- Kemp, S. J. and A. J. Teale. 1994. Randomly primed PCR amplification of pooled DNA reveals polymorphism in a ruminant repetitive DNA sequence which differentiate B. indicus and B. taurus. Anim. Genet. 25:83- 88.
- Farris, J. S. 1972. Estimating phylogenetic trees from distance matrices. The American Naturalist. 106(951):645- 667. https://doi.org/10.1086/282802
- Williams, J. G. K., A. R. Kubelik, K. J. Livak, J. A. Raflaski and S. V. Tingey. 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res. 18:6531-6535. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/18.22.6531
- Ramesha, K. P., T. Saravanan, M. K Rao, M. M. Appannavar and A. Obi Reddy. 2002. Genetic distance among South Indian breeds of Zebu cattle using random amplified DNA markers. Asian- Aust. J. Anim. Sci.: 15(3): 309-314.
- Nagaraja, C. S. 1998. Studies on breed specific molecular genetic markers in B. taurus and B. indicus cattle. Ph.D Thesis. Submitted to Univ. of Agril. Sci., Bangalore.
- Montgomery, G. W. and J. A.Sise. 1990. Extraction of DNA from sheep white blood cells. New Zealand J. Agril. Res. 33:437-441. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.1990.10428440