- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Influence of Grain Processing and Dietary Protein Degradability on Nitrogen Metabolism, Energy Balance and Methane Production in Young Calves
- Pattanaik, A.K. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Sastry, V.R.B. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Katiyar, R.C. (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Lal, Murari (Centre of Advanced Studies in Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2002.03.28
- Accepted : 2003.05.09
- Published : 2003.10.01
Crossbred (Bos taurus
- Brouwer, E. 1965. Report of sub-committee on constants and factors. Proc. III EAAP Symp. In Energy Metabolism, EAAP Publ. No. 11, Academic Press, London. pp. 441-443.
- Campling, R. C. 1991. Processing of cereal grains for cattle - a review. Livestock Prod. Sci. 28:223-234.
- Donelly, P. E. 1983. Effects of dietary carbohydrate : fat ratio on growth and body composition of milk-fed calves. N.Z. J. Agric. Res. 26:71.
- Epifanov, G. V., A. F. Zakachurin, Z. A. Netecha and A. E. Zaikin. 1988. Digestibility of nutrients and productivity of young cattle on diets containing varying amounts of sugar and sulphur. Doklady Vsesoyuznoi Auademi Selskokho Zyaistvennykin Nauk, 2:27-29.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fibre analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures and some applications). ARS. US Dept. Agric. Hand book No. 379. Supdt. of Documents. US Govt. Printing office, Washington, D.C.
- Herrera-Saldana, R. and J. T. Huber. 1989. Influence of varying protein and starch degradabilities on performance of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:1477-1483.
- Morgan, E. K., M. L. Gibson, M. L. Nelson and J. R. Males. 1991. Utilization of whole or steam rolled barley fed with forages to wethers and cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 33:59-78.
- Orskov, E. R. and J. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 92:499-503.
- Punj, M. L. 1995. Feeding strategies in the utilization of agroindustrial by products. Proc. VII Anim. Nutr. Res. Workers Conf., Dec. 7-9, 1995. Bombay, India, pp. 13-19.
- Theurer, C. B. 1986. Grain processing effects on starch utilization by ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1649-1662.
- Zinn, R. A. 1993. Influence of processing on the comparative feeding value of barley for feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3-10.
- Hussein, H. S., M. D. Stern and R. M. Jordan. 1991. Influence of dietary protein and carbohydrate sources on nitrogen metabolism and carbohydrate fermentation by ruminal microbes in continuous culture. J. Anim. Sci. 3:2123-2133.
- Kurihara, K., T. Magner, R. A. Hunter and G. J. McCrabb. 1999. Methane production and energy partition of cattle in the tropics. Br. J. Nutr. 81:227-234.
- Pattanaik, A. K., V. R. B. Sastry and R. C. Katiyar. 2000. Effect of thermal processing of cereal grain on the performance of crossbred calves fed starters containing protein sources of varying ruminal degradability. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13: 1239-1244.
- Guglya, V. G. and V. S. Safonov. 1985. Utilization of extruded barley for feeding of cow. Zhivotnovodstvo, 9:51-52.
- Abdelgadir, I. E. O., J. L. Morril and J. J. Higgins. 1996. Effect of roasted soybean and corn on performance and ruminal and blood metabolites of dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 79:465-474.
- Cummins, K. A., J. E. Nocek and C. E. Polan. 1982. Growth and nitrogen balance of calves fed rations of varying nitrogen degradability and physical form. J. Dairy Sci. 65:773-783.
- McCarthy, R. D. Jr., T. H. Klusmeyer, J. L Vicini, J. H. Clark and D. R Nelson. 1989. Effects of source of protein and carbohytrate on ruminal fermentation and passage of nutrients to the small intestine of lactating cows. J. Dairy. Sci. 72:2002-2016.
- Fiems, L. O., C. V Boucque, B. G. Cottyn and F. X. Buysse. 1986. Cottonseed meal and maize gluten meal vs. soybean meal as protein supplements in calf starters. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 36:731-740.
- Klopfenstein, T. 1988. Bypass protein-concepts and practical uses. p. 53 In: Proc. California Anim. Nutr. Conf., Fresno.
- Johnson, D. E. and G. M. Ward. 1996. Estimates of animal methane emission. Environmental Monitoring and Assessement, 42:133-141.
- Sahoo, B., M. L. Saraswat, N. Haque and M. Y. Khan. 2000. Energy balance and methane production in sheep fed chemically treated wheat straw. Small Rumin. Res. 35:13-19.
- Khan, M. Y. and D. C. Joshi. 1983. A new simplified open-circuit respiration equipment for sheep - a note. Indian J. Anim. Prod. 15:34-36.
- Malcolm, K. J. and H. E. Kiesling. 1993. Dry matter disappearance and gelatinization of grains as influenced by processing and conditioning. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 40:321-330.
- Veen, W. A. G. 1986. The influence of slowly and rapidly degradable concentrate protein on a number of rumen parameters in dairy cattle. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 34:199.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple rage and multiple F tests. Biometrics. 11:1-12. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Olivares-Reyna, L., J. R. Herrera-Saldana, R. Barcena-Gama and S. Gonzalez-Munoz. 1992. The effect of different protein and starch sources in starters for young calves. J. Dairy Sci. 75 (Suppl. 1):269 (Abstr.).
- Stokes, S. R., W. H. Hoover, T. K. Miller and R. Blauwekel. 1991. Ruminal digestional and microbial utilization of diets varying in type of carbohydrate and protein. J. Dairy Sci. 74:871-881.
- Grubic, G. 1988. Nutritional value of heat processed maize grain when feeding calves. Arhiv Za Polioprivredne Nauke, 49:11-36.
- Maiga, H. A., D. J. Schinogoethe, F. C Ludens, W. L. Tucker and D. P. Casper. 1994. Response of calves to diets that varied in amounts of ruminally degradable carbohydrates and protein. J. Dairy Sci. 77:278-283.
- Van Soest, P. J. 1994. Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminants. 2nd Ed. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.
- Sahoo, S. K. 1992. Effect of high and low degradable protein rations on nutrient utilization in buffalo. M. V. Sc. Thesis. Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Deemed University, Izatnagar, India.
- Tiwari, C. M., S. B. Jadhao, Chandramoni, Murari Lal and M. Y. Khan. 2000. Comparative calorimetric evaluation of ammoniated straw-based rations supplemented with low levels of untreated, formaldehyde treated groundnut cake and fish meal with respect to growing buffalo calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:761-773.
- Pattanaik, A. K., V. R. B. Sastry, R. C. Katiyar and Murari Lal. 1998. Energy kinetics in crossbred calves on synchronized rumen degradable protein and starch based diets. Proc. VIII World Animal Production Conference, July 3-8, 1998, Seoul, Korea. 58-59.
- Coomer, J. C. and H. E. Amos. 1991. Influence of source of rumen escape protein on growth, feed efficiency and nutrient digestibility in weaned dairy calves. J. Anim. Sci. 66 (Suppl. 1):527 (Abstr.).
- Lindberg, J. E. 1981. The effect of basal diet on the ruminal degradation of dry matter, nitrogen compounds and cell walls in nylon bag - roughage and cereals in various proportions. Swedish J. Agric. Res. 11:159.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Lee, S. C., W. S. Kang and S. S. Lee. 1990. The effects of different processing methods on the digestibility and energy value of corns in Korean native cattle. Res. Rpts. of the Rural Dev. Admn. Livestock, 32:21-26.
- McAllister, T. A., K. A. Beauchemin, L. A. McClelland and K. J. Cheng. 1992. Effect of formaldehyde - treated barley or escape protein on nutrient digestibility, growth and carcass traits of feed lot lambs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 72:309-316.
- Prasad, D. A., J. L. Morril, S. L. Meton and A. D. Dayton. 1975. Evaluation of processed sorghum grain and wheat by cattle and by in vitro techniques. J. Anim. Sci. 41:578-587.
- Matras, J., S. J. Bartle and R. L. Preston. 1991. Nitrogen utilization in growing lambs: effects of grain (starch) and protein sources with various rates of ruminal degradation. J. Anim. Sci. 69:339-347.
- Gaylean, M. L., D. G. Wagner and F. N. Owens. 1981. Dry matter and starch disappearance of corn and sorghum as influenced by particle size and processing. J. Dairy Sci. 64:1804.
- McAllan, A. B. and E. S. Griffith. 1987. The effects of different sources of nitrogen supplementation on the digestion of fibre components in the rumen of steers. Anim. Feed. Sci. Tech. 17: 65.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1967. Statistical methods. 6th Ed. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, Iowa.
- Estimation of methane and nitrous oxide emissions from Indian livestock vol.14, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1039/c2em30396e
- Prediction of enteric methane emission from cattle using linear and non-linear statistical models in tropical production systems vol.22, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11027-015-9691-7
- Effects of grain source, grain processing, and protein degradability on rumen kinetics and microbial protein synthesis in Boer kids1 vol.93, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9336