- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Voluntary Intake, Digestibility and Nitrogen Balance in Spotted Deer (Cervus nippon) Fed Forest By-product Silage, Oak Leaf Hay and Commercial Mixed Ration
- Jeon, B.T. (Korea Nokyong Research Center, Konkuk University) ;
- Moon, S.H. (Korea Nokyong Research Center, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, S.M. (Korea Nokyong Research Center, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, K.H. (Nutrition Physiology Division, National Livestock Research Insitute, RDA) ;
- Hudson, R.J. (Renewable Resources, University of Alberta)
- Received : 2002.08.02
- Accepted : 2003.02.12
- Published : 2003.05.01
Forest by-product silage (FPS) comprised of foliage, shrubs, and wild grasses was prepared to examine feeding value as sole roughage source for spotted (sika) deer. This diet was compared with imported oak leaf hay (OLH) and a commercial mixed ration (CMR) in digestion balance trials with spotted deer. Dry matter intake was highest (p<0.05) on the OLH, whereas intakes of the FPS and CMR were similar (p>0.05). Digestibility of dry matter was highest (p<0.05) for CMR. Digestibility of crude protein was highest in CMR and lowest in OLH and there were significant differences (p<0.05) among diets. Average daily gain, digestible dry matter intake and digestibility of crude fiber did not differ significantly among diets. Nitrogen intake, urinary and digestible nitrogen were highest (p<0.05) in CMR. However, nitrogen retention was not significantly different. Consequently, FPS is a good roughage source for deer having high digestibility, dry matter intake and availability of nitrogen.
- Barry, T. N. and S. J. Duncan. 1984. The role of condensed tannin in the nutritional value of Lotus pedunculatus for sheep. I. Voluntary intake. Br. J. Nutr. 51:485-491. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19840054
- Blair, R. M. and L. E. Brunett. 1980. Seasonal browse selection by deer in a southern pine-hardwood habitat. J. Wildl. Manage. 44:79-88. https://doi.org/10.2307/3808353
- Crawford, H. S. 1982. Seasonal food selection and digestibility by tame white-tailed deer in central Maine. J. Wildl. Manage. 46: 974-982. https://doi.org/10.2307/3808230
- Hofmann, R. R. 1988. Aspects of digestive physiology in ruminants. Comstock Publishing Associates. pp. 1-20.
- Jeon, B. T. and S. H. Moon and J. H. Lee. 1998. Study on the development of utilization technique and roughage source using forest by-products for curtailing production cost in deer farming. Reports for Research Project of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture, Korea.
- Kato, K., Y. Kajita, M. Odashima, S. L. Lee, K. T. Nam, H. Chiga, Y. Otomo, H. Shoji, M. Otha, and Y. Sasaki. 1989. Feed passage and digestibility in Japanese deer and sheep. Research Report of Kawatabi Experimental Station. 5: 59-62.
- Lee, I. D., J. H. Lee and H. S. Lee. 1994. Study on the nutritional value of native oriental white oak browse by Korean native goats. Korean J. Grassl. Sci. 14:27-33.
- Nastis, A. S. and J. C. Malechek. 1981. Digestion and utilization of nutrients in oak browse by goats. J. Anim. Sci. 53:283-290. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.532283x
- SAS Institute Inc. 1989. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 6. (4th Ed.) SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Thomas, P. C., N. C. Kelly and M. K. Wait. 1976. The effect of physical form of a silage on its voluntary consumption and digestibility by sheep. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 31:19-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1976.tb01110.x
- Van Soest, P. J. 1982. Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant. O & B Books, Portland.
- Wilson, J. R., M. N. McLeod and D. J. Minson. 1989. Particle size reduction of the leaves of a tropical and a temperate grass by cattle. I. Effect of chewing during eating and varying times of digestion. Grass Forage Sci. 44: 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1989.tb01910.x
- Aerts, R. J., T. N. Barry and W. C. McNabb. 1999. Polyphenols and agriculture: beneficial effects of proanthocyanidins in forages. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 75:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(99)00062-6
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia.
- Brown, L. D. 1966. Influence of intake on feed utilization. J. Dairy Sci. 49: 223-229. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(66)87834-7
- Balch, C. C. and R. C. Campling. 1962. Regulation of voluntary food intake in ruminants. Nutr. Abst. Rev. 32:669-686.
- Kim, Y. C. 1994. Studies on the feed value of oak browse and corn silage in sika deer (Cervus nippon). MS thesis, Konkuk University, Korea.
- Kumar, R. and S. Vaithiyanathan. 1990. Occurrence, nutritional significance and effect on animal productivity of tannins in tree leaves. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 30:21-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90049-E
- Kwak, W. S., H. S. Ahn, B. T. Jeon, O. H. Kim, S. C. Roh and C. W. Kim. 1996. Fractions, ruminal disappearance and digestion rate of deer feed nutrients estimated using in situ bag technique in the artificial rumen. Asia-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 9:189-193.
- Currie, P. O., D. W. Reichert, J. C. Malechek and O. C. Wallmo. 1977. Forage selection comparisons for mule deer and cattle under managed ponderosa pine. J. Range Manage. 30:352-356. https://doi.org/10.2307/3897720
- Lee, J. H., I. D. Lee and H. S. Lee. 1990. Study on the utilization of browses in sika deer (Cervus nippon). I. Feeding habit of sika deer. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 32:100-108.
- Forbes, J. M. 1986. The voluntary food intake of farm animals. Butterworth & Co. Ltd. London.
- Henke, S. E., S. Demarais and J. A. Pfister. 1988. Digestive capacity and diets of white-tailed deer and exotic ruminants. J. Wildl. Manage. 52:595-598. https://doi.org/10.2307/3800913
- Holter, J. B., H. H. Hayes and S. H. Smith. 1979. Protein requirement of yearling white-tailed deer. J. Wildl. Manage. 42:101-107.
- Lee, I. D., J. H. Lee and H. D. Lee. 1993. A comparative study on the nutritive value of oak browse. Korean J. Grassl. Sci. 13: 221-227.
- Welch, J. G. 1982. Rumination, particle size and passage from the rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 54:885-891.
- Kim, K. H., B. T. Jeon, Y. C. Kim, B. H. Kyung and C. W. Kim. 1996. A comparison of oak browse and silages of rye and maize with respect to voluntary intake, digestibility, nitrogen balance and rumination time in penned Korean sika deer. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 61:351-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00932-9
- Forbes, T. J. and N. Jackson. 1971. A study of the utilization of silages of different dry matter content by young beef cattle with or without supplementary barley. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 26:257-264. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1971.tb00673.x
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis (Apparatus, Reagents, Procedure and some Application). Agricultural Hand Book No. 379. Agricultural Research Services. USDA, Washington, DC.
- Intake and utilization of sorghum and maize green fodder in spotted deer under captivity vol.42, pp.7, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9598-y